FAW in Poppy trouble now. - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

FAW in Poppy trouble now.

Guest BlueGaz
5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

If it was just that, i doubt there'd have been any investigation. It'll be more to do with poppy card displays in the stand, i'd have thought. 

Rangers should be under investigation too then - all seems a bit lame at this stage to be fair.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Why is every club in the UK (probably) not being investigated for fans wearing poppies in the stand, the week before?  Or is it only something that can't happen at an international game?

2 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Rangers should be under investigation too then - all seems a bit lame at this stage to be fair.

Perhaps it's because these "political" events happened at a FIFA regulated competition.

Guest BlueGaz
11 minutes ago, Admin4 said:

Perhaps it's because these "political" events happened at a FIFA regulated competition.

Does FIFA have no say over what happens in the normal leagues under the FAs?  I wasnt sure if they did or not.  Seems a bit strange that there are different rules for different comps in terms of what you can display and what you can't.  But not surprised to be fair.

5 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Does FIFA have no say over what happens in the normal leagues under the FAs?  I wasnt sure if they did or not.  Seems a bit strange that there are different rules for different comps in terms of what you can display and what you can't.  But not surprised to be fair.

FIFA run competition so it's FIFA rules and not the governing bodies or even UEFA. 

I was under the impression that The IFA and FAW had cleared the poppy displays etc with FIFA in reponse to not having them on shirts/black armbands. I did think it strange that FIFA would allow a poppy display at Windsor Park and a minutes silence if all political symbols etc are banned at a FIFA organised event. To charge Wales for their supporters for wearing a poppy on their jackets is an absolute joke. 

FFIFA

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, dave said:

To charge Wales for their supporters for wearing a poppy on their jackets is an absolute joke. 

FFIFA

Totally agree, and it was that specific point which I in turn thought brought every club in UK into the fold.  But if FIFA can do nothing about what the clubs do in domestic comps, then i get it.

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Parklife said:

That's not why they've been charged though...

It is one of the reasons listed on the statement.

The incidents, as detailed in the communication from FIFA, under investigation include – 

• Some supporters in the stands wearing the poppy
Edited by BlueGaz

8 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

It is one of the reasons listed on the statement.

The incidents, as detailed in the communication from FIFA, under investigation include – 

Yes, it's not why they've been charged though. If it was only that, then there is no chance FIFA would be taking action. 

Let's not live in the Daily Mail land where we sensationalise things, in turn making a mockery of the story. 

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Let's not live in the Daily Mail land where we sensationalise things, in turn making a mockery of the story. 

:lol: Wasn't trying to do that - was just chatting.  :ok:

18 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Yes, it's not why they've been charged though. If it was only that, then there is no chance FIFA would be taking action. 

Why have they been charged then?  The FAW website seems clear enough.

27 minutes ago, dave said:

Why have they been charged then?  The FAW website seems clear enough.

• A member of the armed forces was holding a bunch of poppies at the exit of the tunnel .

• A fans mosaic depicting the poppy was displayed during the anthem of Wales. 

• A banner depicting the poppy was also displayed by the supporters of wales before the 
match started. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

• A member of the armed forces was holding a bunch of poppies at the exit of the tunnel .

• A fans mosaic depicting the poppy was displayed during the anthem of Wales. 

• A banner depicting the poppy was also displayed by the supporters of wales before the 
match started. 

So they have been charged with supporters wearing poppies then?  

Good to clear that up.

Just now, dave said:

So they have been charged with supporters wearing poppies then?  

Good to clear that up.

As i said previously, that is not solely why they have been charged. And if it were only that then they would not have been charged. 

You bash on going all hysterical Daily Mail if you want, dude. I'll stick to the accurate story of events :ok: 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Quite obviously it's the latter. 

The FA and SFA were told if they pressed ahead with it they'd be breaking the rules and would face punishment. I don't quite know why anyone would think anything different. 

I don't believe they were told they were breaking the rules.

They  answered a question, and advised that the rules should be observed, and it would be up to the disciplinary committee to determine any breach. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

As i said previously, that is not solely why they have been charged. And if it were only that then they would not have been charged. 

You bash on going all hysterical Daily Mail if you want, dude. I'll stick to the accurate story of events :ok: 

WTF has it got to do with the Daily Mail? 

The FAW have been charged with numerous offences of which one is supporters wearing poppies in the stands.  

Apparently in 2014 the English FA proposed a rule that all symbols be banned as it was a grey area what should it shouldn't be allowed.

Ironic! :lol:

The charges against Wales and NI seem a bit ridiculous on the face of it.

The charges against us and England are fair enough, we asked, they said no, we did it anyway. We'd have been better not asking, and we might have got away with it, like the FAI almost did.

2 minutes ago, dave said:

WTF has it got to do with the Daily Mail? 

The FAW have been charged with numerous offences of which one is supporters wearing poppies in the stands.  

That's the line the "daily mail reader type" would choose to pick out.

I doubt they'd have charged them for that alone, but it's a good headline to get people frothing at the mouth.

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I doubt they'd have charged them for that alone, but it's a good headline to get people frothing at the mouth.

Exactly. 

I'm just surprised they didn't phrase it "Wales charged by FIFA  due to war veterans in crowd wearing poppies!"

16 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I would have thought any of the charges would have the majority of sane people rolling around the floor in laughter. Everyone knowsFIFA  are a disgusting organisation  and I would love the Home Nations to tell them to stick their fine up their hole. Won't happen though.

54 minutes ago, dave said:

I would have thought any of the charges would have the majority of sane people rolling around the floor in laughter. Everyone knowsFIFA  are a disgusting organisation  and I would love the Home Nations to tell them to stick their fine up their hole. Won't happen though.

Yeah, but sane people would see the bigger picture, rather than insinuate that was the charge full stop.

The charges overall are still pretty ridiculous, and that point certainly typifies the idiocy of it.

Guest BlueGaz
9 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Yeah, but sane people would see the bigger picture, rather than insinuate that was the charge full stop.

But sane people didn't do that though did they?  They were discussing other potential charges that may have been relevant, regarding that particular charge.  Keep with the programme Magoo.

3 hours ago, dave said:

To charge Wales for their supporters for wearing a poppy on their jackets is an absolute joke. 

FFIFA

1 hour ago, BlueGaz said:

But sane people didn't do that though did they?  

Dave did.