Rowing/Canoeing - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I just did this today for my first time, and loved it. Does anyone do this regularly or know how possible it is to hire boat/life belt and a paddle around a loch, water for a few hrs?

Apologies if this is pretty vague, but I really have no idea eg do I need to buy my own or is there a club you join ? Etc

Cheers 

I do the canoeing a lot. Only thing is not for sport or getting fit(as you might be doing). I pack my canoe with a tent and cool boxes full of scran and as much swally as possible then go and get leathered with mates. Wisconsin has some good river canoeing where there is so much wilderness. Quality pish ups thinking wolves could be about. :ok:

3 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

I just did this today for my first time, and loved it. Does anyone do this regularly or know how possible it is to hire boat/life belt and a paddle around a loch, water for a few hrs?

Apologies if this is pretty vague, but I really have no idea eg do I need to buy my own or is there a club you join ? Etc

Cheers 

Rowing and canoeing are two very different things.

Rowing, like the posh Oxbridge boys do, is hell on water.  Literally one of the toughest things I have ever tried.

Canoeing or kayaking is much more fun. Loads of places to hire them.  Loch Tay and Loch Lomond both come to mind.

Sea kayaking is supposed to be even more fun.

Just now, Denny's Yard said:

Rowing and canoeing are two very different things.

Rowing, like the posh Oxbridge boys do, is hell on water.  Literally one of the toughest things I have ever tried.

Canoeing or kayaking is much more fun. Loads of places to hire them.  Loch Tay and Loch Lomond both come to mind.

Sea kayaking is supposed to be even more fun.

Haha. 

It wasn't rowing then, it was just me. But it wasn't a kayak or a canoe, it was a small boat with an engine (that wasn't used). I probably should YouTube a bit first, but think sea kayaking would be too much. The Tay sounds good or even Crombie, Clatto.

Cheers.

Edited by weekevie04

I bought a sit on kayak a couple of years ago and stick it on the roof of the car and go camping. Scotlands lochs are a playground. A new kayak can be bought for around 300 quid.  

One of the best investments made. They are easy to paddle and stable. 

Going to mossyard on Dumfries and Galloway next couple of weeks to paddle around the area. 

If you are keen, just buy one and go for it.....

As a lad 35 or so years ago used to do the "real" canoeing at Strathclyde park of a weekend

Things are probably different now but back then they would not allow you in a real canoe (small cockpit and spray deck) unless you had evidence of having been on a proficiency course

The rub of course is that the proficiency course would put most folk off canoeing for life especially if you were tall and long legged

The main part of the course is having numerous goes of capsizing yourself and trying to get out while upside down

10 hours ago, Ormond said:

I do the canoeing a lot. Only thing is not for sport or getting fit(as you might be doing). I pack my canoe with a tent and cool boxes full of scran and as much swally as possible then go and get leathered with mates. Wisconsin has some good river canoeing where there is so much wilderness. Quality pish ups thinking wolves could be about. :ok:

was canoeing down one of St Croix tributaries near Danbury Wisconsin a fortnight ago. Drove up the night before and camped by the river . drove up river in the next day and paddled down all day to camp, cooler beer fishing etc . Weather on the Saturday was goergeous but the mosquitos were out at night and mine and the mrs legs were destroyed despite trousers and bug spray.

Fishing was crap,  never got a bite on the sat but caught a bass  on the fri night by the campsite. Great time though the whipperwill Sp ? bird I could of throttled and it was a bit sad hearing the dogs in the background going bear hunting

Heavens opened the next day so shelved the idea of another day on the river and packed up and headed south

Edited by Newryrep

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

As a lad 35 or so years ago used to do the "real" canoeing at Strathclyde park of a weekend

Things are probably different now but back then they would not allow you in a real canoe (small cockpit and spray deck) unless you had evidence of having been on a proficiency course

The rub of course is that the proficiency course would put most folk off canoeing for life especially if you were tall and long legged

The main part of the course is having numerous goes of capsizing yourself and trying to get out while upside down

Same for me, school took me and we had to do rolls (right yourself with your stick on the bottom) and capsizes before we were allowed out anywhere. Also running along the canoes as everyone else tried to keep them together. Think it was a school trip to Benmore or lagenlea(sp?)

18 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Never mind wolves, what about the bears?? :o

I only go halfway up into Wisconsin and I think bears are only in the Northern part going into Canada. Even where I camp halfway up I think wolves are rare. Probably more chance of a pack of coyotes jumping me in my own back yard.

21 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I only go halfway up into Wisconsin and I think bears are only in the Northern part going into Canada. Even where I camp halfway up I think wolves are rare. Probably more chance of a pack of coyotes jumping me in my own back yard.

"Back yard" ?

Back gairden you mean, aye?