Scotrail - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Preston to Glasgow First Class with Virgin on Friday afternoon was superb. Well looked after with more than a bottle of red wine consumed and food aplenty. All free and arriving in plenty of time to get some ales in before a taxi to Firhill. Job done.

Low level particularly on a Sunday from Glasgow Central on the other hand...

3 hours ago, Exglasgowasc said:

Preston to Glasgow First Class with Virgin on Friday afternoon was superb. Well looked after with more than a bottle of red wine consumed and food aplenty. All free and arriving in plenty of time to get some ales in before a taxi to Firhill. Job done.

Low level particularly on a Sunday from Glasgow Central on the other hand...

Virgin is great. Especially if you get the first class tickets the day the go on sale.

Interesting thread.

Of course, I dip in and out of Scotland on a regular basis and while I fully understand the complaints that some regular travellers would have, I keep on comparing Scotrail now with the complete chaos it was 20 years ago.

Dirty rolling stock, no guarantee a train would turn up, stations closing, tickets never checked or collected.

Whil Scotrail is faaaar from being perfect, it's certainly a massive improvement on what it was. And IMHO, it stands up reasonably favourably to most train networks Europe-wide.

That's only my experience I should stress, I understand that daily users may well have a different opinion.

On 05/11/2016 at 11:17 PM, ironbrew said:

Changing thread a bit but I was on an Edinburgh to London in August which left Waverley on time but then stopped just before Berwick for about two hours because of "trespassers" on the bridge at Berwick. Apparently in Berwick this means people threatening to jump off bridge and police and coastguards were called before we were allowed to move into Berwick station and then cross the bridge. Service after was superb with staff phoning ahead, booking hotels in London etc.

Alarmingly there's been a few committing the jump lately in and around Berwick station. Life honestly isny that bad here...honestly.

I've been commuting to work by train since the late '80s and the present service is honestly the worst I can remember. Some examples from the last week or so -

- Train from Central to EK - cancelled.

- Train from Waverley to Tweedbank - delayed, cancelled, then resurrected once everyone had disembarked.

- Train from Tweedbank to Waverley - 15 minutes or so late (one of Scotrail's better efforts).

- Cathcart Circle last night - ancient 314 managed to limp into Shawlands station where it stopped to be rescued - passengers basically abandoned - I had to phone a taxi to get me home.

Aye, Abellio took over a franchise that had suffered years of under-investment but that doesn't fully explain the deterioration from when First ran it (a feat many - myself included - didn't think was possible).