Fletch at right back? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Fletch at right back?

COLT NY

I remember he used to fill in there a bit for Man U when needed... What are your thoughts on using him there for the National team?

Seems to me that we have a lot more options in the centre of midfield than at right back, although Paterson's done fine there so far and should be the long term option.

Saw a bit of west brom v man city game and Fletch looked out of his depth in that company . Hes also not the best tackler . Think his best days are behind him. Just a squad member for me . Gives the ball away far too much these days and that used to be one of his better attributes

54 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

In international football there shouldn't really be any need to play players out of position.

I disagree with that, in fact I'd say that outwith the larger nations with a bigger pool of talent there's more need to play players out of position.

For example, at club level, if you had two excellent left backs but all your right backs were useless, you would probably look to sell one of the left backs and use that cash to get a decent right back in.  Obviously you can't do that in international football, you'd probably have to look at which of your two left backs could play on the right.

There is an argument about playing players in their position but I'd argue that - depending on the player -  a good player, playing out of position, will be better than an average player playing in their natural position.  They'll have the technique, mentality and intelligence to adapt to another position, the average player may not be able to adapt to playing at a higher level.

All depends on the player of course and positions which are to an extent interchangeable, eg., I wouldn't suggest bring Ross McCormack in to play at centre half. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I disagree with that, in fact I'd say that outwith the larger nations with a bigger pool of talent there's more need to play players out of position.

For example, at club level, if you had two excellent left backs but all your right backs were useless, you would probably look to sell one of the left backs and use that cash to get a decent right back in.  Obviously you can't do that in international football, you'd probably have to look at which of your two left backs could play on the right.

There is an argument about playing players in their position but I'd argue that - depending on the player -  a good player, playing out of position, will be better than an average player playing in their natural position.  They'll have the technique, mentality and intelligence to adapt to another position, the average player may not be able to adapt to playing at a higher level.

All depends on the player of course and positions which are to an extent interchangeable, eg., I wouldn't suggest bring Ross McCormack in to play at centre half. 

Only under exceptional circumstances then a player should be played out of position, during the game if a player gets injured, or sent off.

When we have Robertson and Tierney at left back, you wouldn't play them over Paterson, Hutton or Bardsley at right back

3 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

Only under exceptional circumstances then a player should be played out of position, during the game if a player gets injured, or sent off.

When we have Robertson and Tierney at left back, you wouldn't play them over Paterson, Hutton or Bardsley at right back

I was talking about the hypothetical, not specifically about the Scotland team right now. 

Given the amount of standing around watching, not closing down and not communicating he did against Slovakia I'd not have him in the squad, let alone the starting 11, especially not in a position where we have 3 decent options in Hutton, Bardsley and Paterson.

I can see the logic for this but Fletcher wouldn't have the legs for the right back role now.

Bardsley performs in English Premiership so its between him and Paterson. I'm a big fan of Paterson and he has potential to do bigger things.

It's not the same level but my team Partick Thistle were shaky at back and last 2 games have moved to a sweeper and wing backs with 2 wins and more assured at back.

Time to go back Craig Brown and do the same? But again we struggle with 2 central defenders so where is the 3rd preferably game reading ball playing sweeper.

4 hours ago, Alan said:

It's not the same level but my team Partick Thistle were shaky at back and last 2 games have moved to a sweeper and wing backs with 2 wins and more assured at back.

West Ham did the same recently and saw a big improvement. Problem for us is the real lack of centerbacks and very limited amount of time to train prior to the match, meaning it's going to be pretty new to the players.

If we were to do it for the England game.. I'd probably go with:

Gordon
Martin - Berra - Kingsley
Paterson - McDonald - Mulgrew - Anya
Forrest - Griffiths - Burke

Ideally it'd be Tierney for Kingsley I think. Robertson for Forrest and swap Anya to right wing and Robertson to the wing back.

It could work, just don't know if we have the time to make it our own.