This Board Needs Tunes - Page 745 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

This Board Needs Tunes

I see there's a site whosampled.com. I never knew Norman Cook was involved with that Eric B/Rakim track...

https://www.whosampled.com/sample/2647/Eric-B.-%26-Rakim-I-Know-You-Got-Soul-(Six-Minutes-of-Soul-the-Double-Trouble-Remix)-The-Jackson-5-I-Want-You-Back/

image.png.c21808ae72a69e1b31aeddfd8e2f121f.png

Edited by exile

Samples Run DMC and the Misson Impossible theme. From Tricks of the Shade, one of my favourite albums and a bit of an American history lesson with wee skits in between tracks. 

"Hey Mr Columbus, you took all our money" 

"No I didn't kid, I discovered it!" (evil laugh) 

4 hours ago, exile said:

Funkadelic - Good Old Music

I heard this version first, so for me this was always the 'original' (not the one with Nat King Cole sample)

I love Living Colour, as you know. (First purchase was a cassette single(!) and I slipped off to sleep listening to it (free booze then) on my Walkman on a PanAm 747 and woke up mid-Atlantic minus the case, never to be seen again. Still pisses me off that I lost it, but... Fck me this is the most retro paragraph of my life 🙄

Oanyhoo. just listened to Funkadelic and have no idea whether I already knew it or it just sounds familiar, but love it too.

What was the Nat King Cole ref about though?

BTW vol.II is my favourite Zeppelin album. Given the smash hit of their first, I think they naively chucked vol.II out while touring to cash in quick, featuring their favourite blues tunes, but got caught in the $potlight of their popularity. Just my opinion, but...

11 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

I love Living Colour, as you know. (First purchase was a cassette single(!) and I slipped off to sleep listening to it (free booze then) on my Walkman on a PanAm 747 and woke up mid-Atlantic minus the case, never to be seen again. Still pisses me off that I lost it, but... Fck me this is the most retro paragraph of my life 🙄

Oanyhoo. just listened to Funkadelic and have no idea whether I already knew it or it just sounds familiar, but love it too.

What was the Nat King Cole ref about though?

Ah the good old days of walkmans and Pan Am and cassette singles!

A version of the song - the most common and/or album version - starts off with an awful dreary dirge that sounds like some old film - turns out it's a sample of Nat King Cole (as I only just found out via whosampled.com): 

https://www.whosampled.com/sample/275458/Living-Colour-Love-Rears-Its-Ugly-Head-Nat-King-Cole-Lush-Life/

As I say, I heard the other version first, so when I bought the album (probably off the back of it) I was suprised and disappointed to hear this dirge of an opening instead.

Something reminded me of Queen's We will Rock You. I heard the 'fast' version (on Queen Live Killers I think), first, and for me that is always 'the' version of the song, and was surprised to later hear of this awful dirge of a stompy clappy aberration and could not understand why you hear that version 99% of the time. Almost never the (superior!) faster version.

It's almost a new song. Could almost call it a sample 😉 or is it a cover?

Edited by exile

25 minutes ago, exile said:

A version of the song - the most common and/or album version - starts off with an awful dreary dirge that sounds like some old film - turns out it's a sample of Nat King Cole (as I only just found out via whosampled.com):

Got you now!

20 minutes ago, exile said:

I heard the 'fast' version (on Queen Live Killers I think)

Liked that too. Like Judas Priest covering it. Even the outfit.

2 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Got you now!

Liked that too. Like Judas Priest covering it. Even the outfit.

😅

For years I made a point of just posting songs consciously not expressing an opinion on them, and somehow I managed this morning to given an opinion on two songs. I may need to go out and take some air.

Sitting here with a beer I can't help spouting pish.   I try not to be negative though as an attack on someone's song can be taken as an attack on their personality...

Most folk aren't too keen on a lot of my tunes though, and I like it that way 🤘

On 11/24/2023 at 7:41 PM, exile said:

Samples some other Queen songs on the same album.

Turns out it's six songs including Mustapha. And now:

I recognise 3 samples, one being Mustapha, making that for now the most sampled song on here, who'd a thunk it? 😅