Squad Vs Denmark - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Vs Denmark

Fraser19

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scottish born player with Scottish father plays for Scotland?

I notice he has never played for England at any youth level, is there any quotes or photos showing him to be an England fan?

I for one am excited about the potential he offers especially for 18yo,,hes chosen us like it or not he's part of the squad hopefully for a long time to come best thing to do is support him now surely

11 hours ago, mcnish said:

He's only represented Scotland at any level from this season, that's hardly a few years. He has never played for us at under-16, under-17 or under-18 level. Why do you think that was? Did he not know being born in Scotland entitled them to represent us? Did the SFA not know he was qualified despite his English born team mate in his year group captaining the team  or was he not considered good enough to cut it as one of the best 20 odd scottish qualified players born in 1987? Or was it possibly answer D was he holding out for England attention having been looked at by them in their Victory shield preliminary squad 4 years back and then got fed up being overlooked subsequently by the England youth squads?

Excuse me for not being naive and gullible enough to ignore the obvious. Ok so now playing for us is what he wants to do, same as it is now what James Morrison wants to do but its delusional to imagine either of them considered Scotland their first choice.

So the actual facts here are he has never represented England and you have NO IDEA why he wasn't selected to play for Scotland at younger levels but in your head that all equates to him wanting to ignore Scotland and makes him a stick on Johnny Englander?! Wow.

You then compare him to James Morrison. So one is born in Scotland, his dad is Scottish, another fact you had no idea about when building your "theory", has only ever played for Scotland and has only ever played a total of 20 first team games of football. The other one was born in England, to English parents, represented England at every level from 17-20s, was past the U21 selection criteria and a fully established first team player who then choose to switch to representing Scotland.

Yep, that's a like for like comparison. Actually the only comparable facts the two of them have in common is they both live and play football in England right now and both play for Scotland!

Admin, can we please change this persons username to mcpish as that's what he seems to spout.

12 hours ago, mcnish said:

He's only represented Scotland at any level from this season, that's hardly a few years. He has never played for us at under-16, under-17 or under-18 level. Why do you think that was? Did he not know being born in Scotland entitled them to represent us? Did the SFA not know he was qualified despite his English born team mate in his year group captaining the team  or was he not considered good enough to cut it as one of the best 20 odd scottish qualified players born in 1987? Or was it possibly answer D was he holding out for England attention having been looked at by them in their Victory shield preliminary squad 4 years back and then got fed up being overlooked subsequently by the England youth squads?

Excuse me for not being naive and gullible enough to ignore the obvious. Ok so now playing for us is what he wants to do, same as it is now what James Morrison wants to do but its delusional to imagine either of them considered Scotland their first choice.

So if you haven't played at any of these levels yer no allowed to play? :wacko:

Ever heard of a guy called Ikechi Anya?

12 hours ago, mcnish said:

Oliver Burke;

Born in Scotland

Scottish dad

Never played for England at any level

No references of anything like an English call up for anyteam

Chose Scotland

Plays for Scotland

States how proud he is to be capped

What the hell do some idiots on here want!?

If you follow Scottish under-age level football at all you will know that the SFA will readily pick any english footballer with a scottish granny from league 1 upwards at all opportunities, believe me they're not picky and the standard is not high. Of course they knew he was eligible and would have wanted him from age 15  onwards at least.

Its impossible to believe that they could not have known Burke (yet somehow knew all about Iacovitti's scottish grandparents) was qualified and even more impossible to believe they did not consider him worth calling up given he was a stand out player for Nottingham forest youth teams and on the fringes of the english set up (he didn't emerge from obscurity like Anya) or would not consider him for selection due to his England connections. The only plausible reason for him not to be selected at younger age groups would be that he was simply not interested. He won't come out and say as much now obviously but any intelligent person can make this logical deduction. What realistic alternative explanation is there?

I've no argument over his right to play for either Scotland or England - he's the very definition of a dual national - its his motivation for picking us I am dubious about. He has admitted himself he has chosen to play for Scotland in the end because its the easiest chance to get the opportunity to  play international football, having after all never been given a chance with England (though he did accept and attend a call up to their under-16 preliminary squad) I understand some people are not bothered about us being a back up choice of convenience  to England and I can understand that viewpoint given the limited talent at our disposal and I accept his reasoning. I just want to make the point that all indications suggest we are not his number one preference despite the normal empty platitudes over their pride in playing for Scotland which they all come out with.