Tax - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just curious but what would all the people in favour of the SNP not giving this tax break to people in Scotland be saying if the Tories had cut the basic rate by 1% to 19%? Same attitude?

Presumably the same vein popping arguments about stealing from sick people would equally apply or is it just 'rich' folk this argument applies to?

Cant wait to see what happens when this happens...

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

In fairness, that is a postcode lottery in itself.  I've been in a long battle with Ayrshire and Arran Health Board to get the medication I need prescribed.  My consultant at Stobhill has said that if I lived 4 miles over in East Renfrewshire there wouldn't be a problem and that Ayrshire and Arran are the absolute worst he's dealt with.

aye, but your condition is not really curable tho, is it  Scunnered

Haveritis  -  or talkingshiteness

- there is no medication to cure it... ;-) ;-) 

1 hour ago, stocky said:

you really are ALAN 

how much more tax will you pay 

easy question

you couldnt answer last time ,

i even gave you a clue.

see if you cananswer  this time..

go on give it a go.....  

(£45,000 - £43,387) x 20% = £322.60

Understood?

28 minutes ago, deecie said:

(£45,000 - £43,387) x 20% = £322.60

Understood?

(£43,000-£43,387) X 20%= £-77.40   Understood?  You will be paying less tax in 2017 than you are now.

31 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

As long as Scotland is part of the U.K. the tax paid should be the same uk wide. Unless federalism is brought in. 

what is the point of Devolution then?  As I see it, the more Scotland moves away from rUK in all matters the sooner we will achieve proper Independence 

5 minutes ago, dipped flake said:

(£43,000-£43,387) X 20%= £-77.40   Understood?  You will be paying less tax in 2017 than you are now.

I wouldn't be paying last years tax regardless.

Next year SNP policy will make my life slightly worse.

34 minutes ago, deecie said:

I wouldn't be paying last years tax regardless.

Next year SNP policy will make my life slightly worse.

It's hardly gonnae ruin you though is it? Typical Aberdonian, every  penny's a prisoner!

20 minutes ago, slasher said:

It's hardly gonnae ruin you though is it? Typical Aberdonian, every  penny's a prisoner!

You are correct when you say it won't ruin my life. You could probably go even further to ask if I'll even notice the difference.

My issue is the principle of this. 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Some people will be a lot more than £400. 

Someone earning between £42-£45k who has benefits in kind on which they are taxed (i.e. company car, fuel benefit, health insurance, etc) will have these taxed at the 40% rate, rather than the 20%. Which could easily add up to in excess of £1k per year. 

I don't follow that. In Scotland we will pay tax on all earnings (salary or BIK) over £43, 387 at a rate of 40%. In England they will pay 40% from £45k. The 'additional' tax we will pay here, relative to the rest of the U.K., is £45,000-£43,387 X 0.2=£322.60pa. I can't see where anything extra, relative to the rest of the UK, would come from. 

Edit. That is an interesting article by McWhirter.

Edited by Pool Q

8 minutes ago, deecie said:

You are correct when you say it won't ruin my life. You could probably go even further to ask if I'll even notice the difference.

My issue is the principle of this. 

If your vote is so easily swayed by few pounds a week either way I would argue you're pretty devoid of principles!

As I said, if people don't like the principle of paying £7 a week more than your equivalent rUK taxpayer, then they're perfectly entitled to vote Tory and to hope that we end up with a Tory administration in Holyrood that'll adopt exactly the same policies as the rest of the UK.

Seemples.

6 minutes ago, slasher said:

If your vote is so easily swayed by few pounds a week either way I would argue you're pretty devoid of principles!

As is your choice.

I don't particularly want a government who think it's ok to raise taxes for rather modest earners, but appear to have very little choice in the matter.

Not to worry though, with any luck my next paycut will take me out the 40% dangerzone.

7 minutes ago, Rossy said:

As I said, if people don't like the principle of paying £7 a week more than your equivalent rUK taxpayer, then they're perfectly entitled to vote Tory and to hope that we end up with a Tory administration in Holyrood that'll adopt exactly the same policies as the rest of the UK.

Seemples.

So if you don't agree with SNP policy you're a Tory?

That's not exactly adding much to the debate.

9 minutes ago, deecie said:

Of course, that's a million miles away from what I actually said. In fact, it's so far away you've actually passed PGB in 5th gear and are heading a-pace towards EK_Celtland.

I simply said that the election allows you to vote Tory...if you so wish...if the tax issue is your main concern.

What I didn't say is that 'anyone who disagrees with SNP policy is a Tory'.

I hope that's cleared that up. Say hello to PGB when you see him on the way back.

12 minutes ago, deecie said:

Saying your vote is up for grabs over a few quid IS a pretty Tory thing to do tbf

7 minutes ago, slasher said:

Saying your vote is up for grabs over a few quid IS a pretty Tory thing to do tbf

There are many things that will influence my final decision, this particular one will go massively against the SNP.

11 minutes ago, Rossy said:

Of course, that's a million miles away from what I actually said. In fact, it's so far away you've actually passed PGB in 5th gear and are heading a-pace towards EK_Celtland.

I simply said that the election allows you to vote Tory...if you so wish...if the tax issue is your main concern.

What I didn't say is that 'anyone who disagrees with SNP policy is a Tory'.

I hope that's cleared that up. Say hello to PGB when you see him on the way back.

Nah.