Ian Duncan Smith quits! - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ian Duncan Smith quits!

3 minutes ago, deecie said:

Another Tory throwing his hat in for the leader job.

#####.

I doubt it's about that.  He's already been leader.

Probably due to the EU referendum especially as government were already looking to do a U-turn on PIP. 

I'd heard rumours a while ago, back when it was first hinted that Osborne might try and trim some more money from the benefits bill, that IDS was becoming increasingly pissed off with the cuts that kept falling on his department.

I must admit, it is has always struck me as strange how rarely IDS appeared in the media, given how high profile his role was.  I assumed it was because he was a bit of a zoomer - and that is probably part of it - but now I wonder if he had been asked to go on TV more often but told his colleagues where to go.  Osborne has been more prominent in defending the proposed cuts to PIP than IDS (Nicky whatsherface was left holding the baby on QT last night).

It's starting to look like there are divisions opening up within the Tory party and they appear to be running along EU referendum lines.

As regards PIP, I can the government will do a U Turn.  A number of their backbenchers are apparently against the changes and as far as the public are concerned, the thought of disabled people having money taken off them crosses a line.