Family Pets - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Feck me, why do we put ourselves through it? One of my dogs passed away in my arms today. Despite my efforts to muster some perspective - war, famine, floods, the homeless - I've been in tears all day. The easiest thing to do would be to not have pets. Feckin devastated :(

Tough one, mate. The missus and me are both huge animal lovers and have quite a few various pets, which we dote on as an extended family given we don't have kids.

Hits like a sledgehammer every time, but the best you can do is take comfort in knowing you gave them the best life you possibly could, plenty of animals out there don't get that privilege.

Tough one, mate. The missus and me are both huge animal lovers and have quite a few various pets, which we dote on as an extended family given we don't have kids.

Hits like a sledgehammer every time, but the best you can do is take comfort in knowing you gave them the best life you possibly could, plenty of animals out there don't get that privilege.

You're right there. Both our dogs are rescue's, as is our cockateil (don't ask!), and we have a foster puppy with us too at the moment. The dog who died today was a right state after being a stray for what the Dogs Trust reckoned was a year or two. We took him on knowing his various ailments and nursed him through some tough times. Despite knowing we did the best we could and giving him a good, active and loving life, me and the wife are

sitting here discussing how guilty we feel and asking ourselves if we could've done more. Something to do with the human condition I suppose.

Edited by redstevie007

You're right there. Both our dogs are rescue's, as is our cockateil (don't ask!), and we have a foster puppy with us too at the moment. The dog who died today was a right state after being a stray for what the Dogs Trust reckoned was a year or two. We took him on knowing his various ailments and nursed him through some tough times. Despite knowing we did the best we could and giving him a good, active and loving life, me and the wife are

sitting here discussing how guilty we feel and asking ourselves if we could've done more. Something to do with the human condition I suppose.

First of all sorry to hear that Stevie but don't beat yourself up Stevie because it sounded like you & missus done everything you could do.

Speaking from experience it can sometimes hit you harder with the pets you have to put in the extra time and cost to look after.

Feck me, why do we put ourselves through it? One of my dogs passed away in my arms today. Despite my efforts to muster some perspective - war, famine, floods, the homeless - I've been in tears all day. The easiest thing to do would be to not have pets. Feckin devastated :(

Been there (last month) after 16 years.

As a friend pointed out they couldn't get more love or a better life. Try and remember that, it sort of helps,

A wee bit. :(

Sorry to hear that man. Ive just adopted a four year old husky and after one day was totally in love with her. Cant bear to think how bad you guys must feel. As others have said, it sounds like you gave the dog a great life after it had had a shit time so take some comfort frim that.

We took a dug from the SSPCA a couple of years ago. He was between 8 and 10 they think when we took him and had been in the shelter a wee while presumably cause no one wanted to take an older fella (and go through the hurt etc when his time com s in the not too distant future).

Anyhow this guy is fantastic. Really energetic and always wanting walks. It is clear though he previously lived with an old couple all his days - heads off to bed at 8.30pm on the dot; gets up (and gets you up) at the back of 5am; always trying to get on buses if one stops when you are out walking; and loves a saucer of tea with a biscuit.........

But I do realise he is approaching his final years and it's not a nice thought.

Edited by Return of Yermaw

Put my spaniel cross out of its misery/pain earlier this year,only option,

still a ###### to do it. Now my auld staffy bitch is looking dodgy drinking

hunners of water and sleeping a lot ,due to get it checked next week,dreading

it .

That could be Diabetes, our wee dog had those symptoms a couple of years ago, now on a couple of injections a day but has a new lease of life.

Good luck with the vet check. :ok: