Gibraltar Game Moved To London? - Page 3 - Gibraltar v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gibraltar Game Moved To London?

Lion Rampant

Just received an email from the SSC about this:

European Qualifier
Gibraltar v Scotland Sunday 11 October 2015

The Scottish FA has received correspondence from the Gibraltar FA regarding speculation surrounding the European Qualifeier between Gibraltar and Scotland on Sunday 11 October 2015.

Due to ongoing issues at Estadio do Algarve in Portugal, Faro, the Gibraltar FA is working on potential alternative venues for some of their European Qualifying matches, should they decide to move away from their current venue.

The Gibraltar FA has advised us that a decision on this matter will be made before the end of the year.

We will update the Scotland Supporters Club members on the outcome of this decision at the earliest opportunity and
advise all supporters to avoid making travel arrangements until the venue for the match has been confirmed.

Thanks, as ever, for your support.

Scotland Supporters Club

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did uefa not already confirm and agree with Gibraltar a few months back that they would be happy for gib to play All their home games in Faro?, as Spain would not want them playing on their soil. If gib have a tax issue with Portugal that's their problem, they knew before they applied to become the 54th team that they would have to pay taxes in another country if games are played there. Even if gib did have a stadia they would not have enough accommodation for following supporters from other teams. I actually feel sorry for the portugese as they would be missing out on an extended summer season with many thousands flocking to their shores. Problem with gib is they are used to paying low taxes and don't want to pay current tax rates in another country, even if game is played in London there would still be a tax issue. I propose they get feked oot they should never have been able to put a team forward in the first place without having a suitable stadia and accomodation and if they cant abide by the rules they should do the proper thing and withdraw from the competition. they try to tell us its to do with the security company what a load of bo****ks prob is they cant afford to pay the security company as the security cost for the Poland game outweighed the the revenue raised for the same said game. bottom line is they don't want to pay

Edited by washboarder

At the end of the second paragraph from SSC it states should they decide to move away from the current venue it sounds like a question but is meant to be a statement completely bewildering I feel really sorry for you guys who have already booked I'm fortunate in the fact my mate has retired to southern Spain so it was going to be a visit/holiday/Ta on tour time hope theat common sense kicks in surely just change the security or is it not that simple by the way that is a question

I emailed the GFA at 6ish this morning and just got the following reply:

'Many thanks for your email. The Gibraltar Football Association are committed to play all our home games in Faro. We have encountered problems with the Portuguese authorities which we hope to resolve shortly. As soon as we have any news we will inform the Scottish FA.'

Our legal expert emailed the Gibraltar FA today, threatening to seek compensation if the game is moved from the Algarve . Richard replied that they are still planning to play the game in Faro , but its now a tax issue that is the problem . So, looks like game goes ahead as planned, but why did they not check everything out before announcing a venue ?

Our legal expert emailed the Gibraltar FA today, threatening to seek compensation if the game is moved from the Algarve . Richard replied that they are still planning to play the game in Faro , but its now a tax issue that is the problem . So, looks like game goes ahead as planned, but why did they not check everything out before announcing a venue ?

I suspect it's all going to go ahead in Faro anyway, but it's clear from UEFA's Regulations for the tournament (Art 22) that venues have to be announced no later than 120 days before the game. So I don't think at this stage Gibraltar were ever committed to play in Faro. Under UEFA rules they were always free to move it, and still are

I suspect it's all going to go ahead in Faro anyway, but it's clear from UEFA's Regulations for the tournament (Art 22) that venues have to be announced no later than 120 days before the game. So I don't think at this stage Gibraltar were ever committed to play in Faro. Under UEFA rules they were always free to move it, and still are

True, but new regulations were that each FA must produce a list of venues they plan to use 60 days after the draw was made, and I doubt their list was much longer than just Faro when they did that at the time.

as the nearest country(spain) were unwilling to let gib host their home games in Spain the next closest venue was faro it was agreed with uefa that all Gibraltars home games would be played on the algarve. as said on previous post by myself. it is a tax thing gibralterians have never been forthcoming with taxes I waited 6 years just to get a £100 back after i left gib. so if its a tax problem it will be gibs own doing.

I emailed the GFA at 6ish this morning and just got the following reply:

'Many thanks for your email. The Gibraltar Football Association are committed to play all our home games in Faro. We have encountered problems with the Portuguese authorities which we hope to resolve shortly. As soon as we have any news we will inform the Scottish FA.'

Hope so, after telling the wife the game may be moved I got an earful for booking up so early :ok: