Adult Glue Ear - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Has anyone had any experience of glue ear in adults & what might shift it quicker?

We were in Spain last week & my wife had a bit of a cold/virus through the week. On the flight home during the descent last Thursday she had severe ear pain & now can hardly hear a thing. The docs have said it's glue ear which sorts itself out but she's being driven mad trying to get steam in her ear, taking decongestants, chewing gum, etc.

The web seems to say 3 months might be normal to recover but I wondered if anyone has any secret top tips she can try?

Had it years ago when I worked in Bratislava. Absolutely murder, was sitting in a hotel room with my ipod cranked to 11 and still could barely hear a thing. Eventually went to a Slovak doctor who got it syringed. Instant relief! The amount of gunk that came out was unreal :barf:

Had it again here last year but now they don't recommend syringing due to the potential to damage the sensitive parts of the ear. So it has to be Otex ear drops, which do the job but you just have to be patient, it can take a few days of drops going in to clear it...

:lol: Having re-read that, aye, I didn't mean to comment on the Huddersfields' private life!

Seriously, I know someone who had it. They sucked on sweets constantly and it went away after a couple of days.

Perhaps sucking on something like a Fisherman's Friend or pan drop would be better than a toffee?

Many thanks for the suggestions, one or two of which I even felt brave enough to share with her :ok:

I've offered her a pint of hydrogen peroxide & a fisherman's friend. Hopefully do the trick.

Actually, seriously...& apologies for the totally thick question but I'm presuming she would breath in the fumes from the peroxide??

Many thanks for the suggestions, one or two of which I even felt brave enough to share with her :ok:

I've offered her a pint of hydrogen peroxide & a fisherman's friend. Hopefully do the trick.

Actually, seriously...& apologies for the totally thick question but I'm presuming she would breath in the fumes from the peroxide??

Ah right...nice one & thanks.

Warning - in very small drops. Great for spots too :ok: