Poverty In Tiblisi - Street Begging - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Poverty In Tiblisi - Street Begging

Robroysboy

Great city, lovely trip ( apart from the 90 mins at the stadium).

I liked tiblisi and was made to feel welcome by the locals. The only downside for me was the Roma gypsy children begging, holding onto your leg and being a general nuisance.

There was also "passive" begging where young kids were sleeping in the shade ( don't think they were under the influence of drink or drugs) and locals would put coins in their open hands.

Makes you appreciate how lucky you are when you see such scenes.

I just hope that the money donated by TACC and TASA filters down to the genuine people to give them a little lift. :ok:

Best one i seen, a local beggar stopped fellow ta member(you know who you are lol) put his hand out, the ta member took out 10 lari out and told beggar he only had a ten. the beggar pulled out 5 lari to give said ta member offering change if he needed it. needless to say the ta member gave him the ten for his cheek. just one of those moments on a Scotland trip priceless. well done fellow ta member. £2.80 hopefully did'nt break the bank. :-))

Appearances can be somewhat deceiving......

Very few of them are collecting money for themselves, but actually gathering money for their "boss" who will live the live of luxury in his 6 bedroom mansion on the edge of the city.

You get this right across Eastern Europe...... my wife's city has a big problem with it.... once I gave money to a little homeless boy, and 30 minutes later we were in a cafe having a beer, and suddenly the same kid comes in, hands over a load of cash to some guy sitting at a table and then buys him a massive Ice Cream Sundae.

Edited by wanderer

Best one i seen, a local beggar stopped fellow ta member(you know who you are lol) put his hand out, the ta member took out 10 lari out and told beggar he only had a ten. the beggar pulled out 5 lari to give said ta member offering change if he needed it. needless to say the ta member gave him the ten for his cheek. just one of those moments on a Scotland trip priceless. well done fellow ta member. £2.80 hopefully did'nt break the bank. :-))

:ok:

Very few of them are collecting money for themselves, but actually gathering money for their "boss" who will live the live of luxury in his 6 bedroom mansion on the edge of the city.

You get this right across Eastern Europe...... my wife's city has a big problem with it.... once I gave money to a little homeless boy, and 30 minutes later we were in a cafe having a beer, and suddenly the same kid comes in, hands over a load of cash to some guy sitting at a table and then buys him a massive Ice Cream Sundae.

:blink:

Like Edinburgh then, professional beggars dropped off by the boss in the toon to sit aboot all day with their hands oot.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of Roma kids came over and kept pointing at my olives which I had finished. Thought they were wanting them but then one grabbed the slice of lemon on them and ran off delighted. If I had realised I would have just let them take it in the first place. I couldn't get over the fact they wanted the lemon. :unsure:

Went to an ATM just off Shardeni Street. Had a little Roma girl (about 12 i'd say) standing next to me as i entered my PIN, asking for money.

When the machine spat oot my cash she made a grab for it. Had to fight her for it while her Mum watched.

(I won BTW.... just)

Went to an ATM just off Shardeni Street. Had a little Roma girl (about 12 i'd say) standing next to me as i entered my PIN, asking for money.

When the machine spat oot my cash she made a grab for it. Had to fight her for it while her Mum watched.

(I won BTW.... just)

:angry:

Like Edinburgh then, professional beggars dropped off by the boss in the toon to sit aboot all day with their hands oot.

aye, dropped off by a mini van up the bridges every morning by their "gang master"

my mate sees it whilst walking the dog before work

im very xenophobic when it comes to tramps only scottish jakeballs and junkies get my hard earned