Kraków Bars/ Restaurants - Page 2 - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kraków Bars/ Restaurants

Duncan Blackheart

Though a number of companies advertise doing Aushwitz and Salt Mines in a single day, it's a looooooong day and probably will be exhausted by time you get to the Salt Mines.

Salt Mines are only 20-30 minutes drive from central Kraków and will not take much out of your day to do (you spent a bit of time just standing around waiting for your groups turn to go in).

Me & the Mrs done the two in the same day and as suggested, it is a LONG day.

We didn't enjoy the salt mines. Most of these tours are about the history of the mines. In this case, there's just a couple exhibits on the history and the rest is salt carvings.

The chapel as mentioned above, is very impressive though.

We did manage a lunch / beer stop though. The company we went with dropped us off at a wee cafe near the salt mines.

I liked the Salt Mines, but it really a very slow build up until the point you get in the main hall that everyone associates with it at the end.

I think to do it after a long drive from Auschwitz, and will your emotions are still feeling the effects of visiting there, you would probably not enjoy the Salt Mines as much.

• 2 months later...

Guys, I am looking for help on the Auschwitz tour. I have booked flights and hotel in Krakow in April for my son and I and am looking for your experience of the Auschwitz tour.

Should I book the tour online, if so which company. Is it better to take the train to Oswiecim separately or bus from Krakow as part of tour. Should I use a tour guide, are tours in English, what time of the day is best to go. Any other tips would be appreciated.

My son has always wanted to go and we are hoping to get it all booked before Christmas.

Thanks a lot.

It is probably best to use a company.

Auschwitz is not all located within one site, but spread out over different area's of the town. This actually was one of the main things to surprise me as I always pictured it in my mind as the one facility, especially the main camp which was out of town a little bit.

Using the official tour guides would make it easier, and we used this company (they also do great rates for airport to hotel transfers)

http://www.krakowdiscovery.com/

I went to Auschwitz when was over for our Poland game. Just as easy to book over there in Krakow. We easily booked from our hotel but even on street so many shops offer the tour. We got a bus tour, it take you there snd inbetween the two sites and then home again, was an English speaking tour as well. I thought was awesome

You're not allowed to go around unaccompanied, so u need a guide. Or at least that's what I was told! if I can find the tour company I used, I'll pm you with it.

Salt mines as well is a lot in one day, as mentioned above. Could see some of the older people on the tour flagging considerably. Dunno how old ur son is, but if he's wee and you were thinking of doubling up, I wouldn't bother.

there's a age limit at auschwitz think it's 14 you can freely walk into birkenau the larger camp which is a 25 min walk from auschwitz we just booked through our hotel when there less hassle it was about £22 a head bus picks you up at your hotel takes round a hour to get there by bus

You're not allowed to go around unaccompanied, so u need a guide. Or at least that's what I was told! if I can find the tour company I used, I'll pm you with it.

Salt mines as well is a lot in one day, as mentioned above. Could see some of the older people on the tour flagging considerably. Dunno how old ur son is, but if he's wee and you were thinking of doubling up, I wouldn't bother.

We just turned up at the bus station (Kraków) - went to Auschwitz I in the morning and Birkenau in the afternoon (unaccompanied at both). Can't remember how much the bus cost, but it wasn't much. Edited by Charlie Endell

Was trying to check into my flight out of that backwards town.

you got the name of that wee brewery l remember you saying about it the last time l went to krakow but was only there for a few days did try to find but gave up got a bit more time on our hands this time going to krakow for New Year's Eve then up to zakapane for a week

there's a age limit at auschwitz think it's 14 you can freely walk into birkenau the larger camp which is a 25 min walk from auschwitz we just booked through our hotel when there less hassle it was about £22 a head bus picks you up at your hotel takes round a hour to get there by bus

There can't be an age restriction as we were there in July and my wee boy was only 3 at the time.

There can't be an age restriction as we were there in July and my wee boy was only 3 at the time.

on the website it says not recommended for children under the age of 14 not sure l would want to take my weans there at that age sure go but it's better to go when there much older then they can understand the horrendous history of that place when l went it took me about 3 weeks to get over what l seen and read

on the website it says not recommended for children under the age of 14 not sure l would want to take my weans there at that age sure go but it's better to go when there much older then they can understand the horrendous history of that place when l went it took me about 3 weeks to get over what l seen and read

Definitely, I agree. However it was take him along to something we really wanted to experience (me, my wife and 16 year old daughter) or just forget it and not go.

Pretty sure we all went to soft play later that day ?

Thanks for all your help.

My son is 16 so no issues anyway. Interesting that the actual entrance is free and it's only the guide you have to pay for although the door to door package takes away any hassle about getting there.

Will leave booking the tour for now and decide nearer the time. Thanks again.

For the organised tours from Krakow you're paying for the transport and the convenience of getting picked up / dropped off. That being said, it's not difficult to take public transport to Oswiecim, and you'll have more control over how you spend your time there. It's probably an advantage to be there for opening and before everyone arrives from Krakow.