Hotels At The Kunt? - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hotels At The Kunt?

DoonTheSlope

That happened to us the last time.

We arrived into Tbilisi Airport about 4am (I think) from Riga.

First of all our pick up wasn't there and we couldn't get hold of him.

None of the taxi drivers had heard of the hotel we were staying at so we just got them to drop us at the Marriot on the main square. We explained our predicament to the guy at reception and he told us to take a seat. Miraculously within half an hour he had located our driver who came to pick us up. I guess the receptionist had an added incentive to get rid of the band of about 10 tired and emotional kilted loonies from his lobby before their paying guests started arriving down for breakfast.

The pick up guy then proceeded to take us to "our hotel" which was a completely different place to the one wee booked. Was a bit sh1te too.

Happened to us last time and our driver found us somewhere. Only cost 10 dollars for 3 nights so worked out ok. This time I confirmed via booking.com a few weeks ago so no problem this time.

Edited by Jagtag

Last time 3 of us booked via a dodgy bassa into the Hotel Diplomat. Turned up at hotel to find that we, along with loads of others , had been stitched up by this pr@ck.

We milled about at reception trying to work out our next move when a wee guy in a wheelchair who was hanging about beckoned us to go with him. He spoke only very fragmented English and we didn't know what was going on as he led us into a v nice house at the back of the hotel. He basically kicked his son out his bedroom..stuck a couple of extra beds in and let us crash in his house for three days. They fed us , poured gut rot vodka down our necks and he got his brother in law out his bed in the middle of the night when we left to take us to the airport for our Riga flight.

He took a fraction of what the hotel were apparently going to charge us and not a penny more. He even offered to have a 'party' in his home village (outside Tbilisi) in our honour if we ever came back...and he'd fix us up with pretty Georgian girls !!!! Fantastic family , amazing hospitality and to be fair that hospitality was mirrored everywhere we went in town. So wish I was over there just now but just not possible this time.

What a carry on with the hotels. Absolute joke

I had been booked into Aleksandria Hotel for weeks previous. I landed in Tbilisi at 4 in the morning to be met with my transfer. Gave the usual "nice flight?" Etc then waited until we were on the motorway to tell me there was a problem with my booking. Turns out the hotel was overbooked but he was going to put me into "the best" hotel in Georgia because "he remembers 2007 and loves Scottish people"

I told him I wasn't happy and all the rest but he was adamant that it was Booking.coms fault and at 4 in the morning with hardly any sleep the last 24 hours and up at 9 for the Gori trip I had little choice but to go along with him.

He didn't have a clue what he was and said he was taking me to the best hotel. We went up all these wee dark back alleys in the middle of nowhere it seemed and by this time I was getting the fear. He stopped the car and we got out, he rang this doorbell and eventually a wee old wifey answered the door in a nightdress and goonie and all that, they spoke in Georgian and she wasn't having any off it with her raising her voice.

Back in the car and we tried another place which was "fully booked" then found somewhere at the bottom of the road from Freedom Square at the bridge. Decent hotel tbf but didn't get a room till 5:30!!

On matchday I met my mate who only booked his room in Aleksandria hotel on Monday weeks after I had, he arrived from Riga just AFTER me and got a room no bother, until his second night I think and he got in from being on the pish and found another fan in his room!! The hotel had taken all his stuff and shifted him into another room. Completely unacceptable behaviour

So when I was checking out from my new hotel on Friday I went to pay with card, put my details etc in and she shows me this wee receipt all in crylic. I said what is this etc she says you haven't paid, she phoned her manager and said I must wait 30 minutes, this was matchday and didn't have time to fanny around and tbh I just wanted away from the place. So I ran too the cash machine and got the money out in cash. I said there is cash but she refused saying I had paid but I was to wait for the manager. This me asking if I'd paid and she said no then offering her the cash went on for a couple of minutes getting yes and no answers and she asked for my phone number. I said "no, there's the cash take it or leave I need to go" she wouldn't take it so I walked out cash on the hip

Checked my balance twice now and not been charged for the second hotel. Got charged for 1 night in the first hotel as the had the cheek to put me as a no show!!

them!! If that's the way they are going to treat visitors to their country then they deserve everything they get.

After a few replies from other folk about the previous trip and my mates room being given to someone else on his second night it seems common practice over there

Edited by DoonTheSlope

Bloody hell mate I stayed at the Alexandria had no problem at all except when I came to check out they tried to claim I hadn't paid the lassie phoned the manager I spoke to him and said "if you remember you told me to pay later but I insisted I paid there and then so I wouldn't spend my hotel money" I had card receipt with me so after 5 mins had an apology and went on my way... Think sometimes they just try it on to see if they can get away with it but overall very nice trip

Bloody hell mate I stayed at the Alexandria had no problem at all except when I came to check out they tried to claim I hadn't paid the lassie phoned the manager I spoke to him and said "if you remember you told me to pay later but I insisted I paid there and then so I wouldn't spend my hotel money" I had card receipt with me so after 5 mins had an apology and went on my way... Think sometimes they just try it on to see if they can get away with it but overall very nice trip

The guy who done my transfer said he was the manager/own cant remember which he said but there was something iffy about him trying to find me a hotel and chapping an old woman's door and that at that time in the morning

I had been booked into Aleksandria Hotel for weeks previous. I landed in Tbilisi at 4 in the morning to be met with my transfer. Gave the usual "nice flight?" Etc then waited until we were on the motorway to tell me there was a problem with my booking. Turns out the hotel was overbooked but he was going to put me into "the best" hotel in Georgia because "he remembers 2007 and loves Scottish people"

I told him I wasn't happy and all the rest but he was adamant that it was Booking.coms fault and at 4 in the morning with hardly any sleep the last 24 hours and up at 9 for the Gori trip I had little choice but to go along with him.

He didn't have a clue what he was and said he was taking me to the best hotel. We went up all these wee dark back alleys in the middle of nowhere it seemed and by this time I was getting the fear. He stopped the car and we got out, he rang this doorbell and eventually a wee old wifey answered the door in a nightdress and goonie and all that, they spoke in Georgian and she wasn't having any off it with her raising her voice.

Back in the car and we tried another place which was "fully booked" then found somewhere at the bottom of the road from Freedom Square at the bridge. Decent hotel tbf but didn't get a room till 5:30!!

On matchday I met my mate who only booked his room in Aleksandria hotel on Monday weeks after I had, he arrived from Riga just AFTER me and got a room no bother, until his second night I think and he got in from being on the pish and found another fan in his room!! The hotel had taken all his stuff and shifted him into another room. Completely unacceptable behaviour

So when I was checking out from my new hotel on Friday I went to pay with card, put my details etc in and she shows me this wee receipt all in crylic. I said what is this etc she says you haven't paid, she phoned her manager and said I must wait 30 minutes, this was matchday and didn't have time to fanny around and tbh I just wanted away from the place. So I ran too the cash machine and got the money out in cash. I said there is cash but she refused saying I had paid but I was to wait for the manager. This me asking if I'd paid and she said no then offering her the cash went on for a couple of minutes getting yes and no answers and she asked for my phone number. I said "no, there's the cash take it or leave I need to go" she wouldn't take it so I walked out cash on the hip

Checked my balance twice now and not been charged for the second hotel. Got charged for 1 night in the first hotel as the had the cheek to put me as a no show!!

them!! If that's the way they are going to treat visitors to their country then they deserve everything they get.

After a few replies from other folk about the previous trip and my mates room being given to someone else on his second night it seems common practice over there

Message booking.com. They are Atol protected. I have an issue in Brussels where I had paid too much (tourist tax added on when it wasn't quoted). Got my money back and a personal phone call from Booking.com.

Give them a message.

J

So this guy that picked you just wrote down a popular hotel name on a card and waited for someone to see it or did he know your name?

Edited by Zidane

So this guy that picked you just wrote down a popular hotel name on a card and waited for someone to see it or did he know your name?

No I had arranged a transfer with the hotel when I booked the room and they asked for my flight details so he knew my name and when I was due to land etc