Kiev Airport - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kiev Airport

Ayr Storm

Came through there last night - they took Euros - can't say anything about the exchange rate though. As you come upstairs from the transit security check, there's a smallish bar straight ahead of you. Head away from that towards the higher number gates and there's a bar/cafe called Gourmet - smallish portion of grilled chicken and potatoes and large Ukrainian beer was 11 euros. Heading towards the lower number gates, there's another small bar. That seemed to be about it - though there's duty free shops. Bear in mind that there's no free in flight service on UIA - e.g. small bottle of wine is 3 euros.

If you are flying with UIA tonight, the connection on to Tblisi from Kiev, arriving at 23:30, is showing up as delayed by 3 hours so you will have plenty of time at the airport. So much for getting the flight that arrives at a reasonable time.

Get a Halifax Clarity card (assuming they still exist, and if they don't there has to be something else similar).

I got one years ago specifically for travelling abroad. No foreign transaction fees and no cash withdrawal fees. All you pay is interest on any money you withdraw.

I clear the balance as soon as the transaction appears in my online banking account - which is normally with two or three days - so it literally costs me pennies to spend money abroad.

Came through there last night - they took Euros - can't say anything about the exchange rate though. As you come upstairs from the transit security check, there's a smallish bar straight ahead of you. Head away from that towards the higher number gates and there's a bar/cafe called Gourmet - smallish portion of grilled chicken and potatoes and large Ukrainian beer was 11 euros. Heading towards the lower number gates, there's another small bar. That seemed to be about it - though there's duty free shops. Bear in mind that there's no free in flight service on UIA - e.g. small bottle of wine is 3 euros.

How much were the pints in the airport.?

Didn't get tanked up at the airport, I must admit, but I'd say the Ukrainian beer in the cafe are was 3-4 euros for 0.5 l.

In Tbilisi today, 0.5 l bottle of Argo dark beer was 4.90 lari - about £1.30. And that was in tourist Central - a bar on Erekle II St.

no be drinking there then

They do at an ATM but not if you use a credit card for purchases. Might not be the case with all credit cards, worth checking.

They do. My bank used to roll the charge into the rate. Now they break it out. Every time I paid by Visa debit there was a foreign currency charge. I guess the bank is trying to be transparent now. It irks me, but when I think about it, I've always just paid it, just never known about it. I was in France last week using my card.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby