Pubs In Aberdeen - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

must be a new hotel - built after i left

know the area though

loads of boozers in town - some more upmarket auld mannie type bars , and some v basic

i was always a bit wary of the local pubs in that part of town ; gilcomston,john st etc

illicit still maybe as an option ; prince of wales - feels more like an edinburgh real ale pub that typical Abdn city centre place

Grill & Bridge bar are favourite haunts of the serious drinker looking for old time service

believe there is lot of new bars now though - think there is a place near little john st ; brewpub ?

blue lamp is ok (could be great) but bit of a dark damp place - ok for quick pint

Couple of pals coming up to Aberdeen for the first time, staying here

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/hilton-garden-inn-aberdeen-city-centre-ABZACGI/index.html

looking for pub suggestions suitable for your dad please

how old are your "friends"

sorry just read the dad bit,

hotel is very near ,brew dog and 6 degrees , both decent establishments if you like that type of beer.prince of wales for yer Da, steer clear of union street cept for the grill,if he's game try the albyn,bit further from his hotel but might stike it lucky...,

or upper kirkgate bar,wordies,blue lamp,all well within staggering distance of the hotel,slightly further the pittodrie bar but you may encounter Fazzat ...

Edited by davierobbsagod

believe there is lot of new bars now though - think there is a place near little john st ; brewpub ?

blue lamp is ok (could be great) but bit of a dark damp place - ok for quick pint

Aye ASC - 6 Degrees North in Littlejohn Street is a brew pub. Great beers. Also BrewDog on the Gallowgate isn't far away.

Then there's the Kirkgate on Upper Kirkgate which leads you on to Belmont Street, just 5 mins away - Ma Cameron's in Little Belmont Street is worth a visit, although Belmont Street can be a bit of an ordeal on Friday and Saturday.

Edited by neilser

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the Grill but the last time I was in Aberdeen was 1997 (for the Belarus game).

Not much to look at from the outside, great if you like your malt and Real ale.

If you are still looking

For ale and old manny

Under the hammer beside golden square.

Prince of Wales St Nicholas square beside RBS.

Blackfriers on castlegate.

Archibald Simpson (weatherspoons) across from blackfriers. Carriages and the stag on Crown Street. Mcgintys and Glentanar on Holburn junction. Aitchies across from the station.

Not old manny but worth popping in to CASC on silver St ( I think that's what is called) and then the craft beer triple of brewdog, 6 degrees north and the top and bottle (or summit like that) next door, beside marchial college on broad Street and little John Street.

I spent at fortnight seconded to the Royal Insurance's Aberdeen office in 1994 - it was pretty much diagnonally across Union Street from the Grill - needless to say it wasn't the most productive fortnight of my less than illustrious career.

I'm sure I heard it now has a ladies - the Georgic in Shawlands was also notable for the absence of a ladies' toilet.