Shoreham Air Show Tragedy - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Shoreham Air Show Tragedy

Air shows are there to show off the planes. The aerobatics they do are to show the agility of the plane and how it would cope in a dogfight. You could away the same about car shows. Why go and see a load of parked cars

Most human activities don't kill folk who're just going about their daily business though.

Yip, and most air shows have a safe flightline. Which means aerobatics only take place a mile from crowds and never overhead. The days of Canberras buzzing thousands died in the 1950's after the tragedy of Farnborough.

You can't legislate for power going and a plane crashing off site. Let's be clear, the plane did not crash on the airshow.

It's a tragic accident, however as the airframes of these classic aircraft get older and older, you do have to ask when they will not be able to fly.

The last flying Vulcan will have to stop this year as they just don't know how minx longer a 50 year old airframe can take being thrown around.

J

Most human activities don't kill folk who're just going about their daily business though.

This is the first time in the long history of UK airshows that people have been killed who weren't involved with the event. As with any tragic accident the investigation will highlight areas of improvement.

It appears the pilot was off course and shouldn't have attempted that manoeuvre close to a busy road, that aspect will clearly have to be looked at and mitigated against in future.

Edited by Toepoke

What, like driving? Turning on electrical equipment?

Although that wasn't my point. It's more that this is part of a wider cultural framework of humanity. We do things that are for pleasure, or for endeavour, or for emotion, or for the thrill of it. or combinations of those and other things. Airshows don't appeal to me in the slightest but I understand that they do to others. I like modern art but a lot of people don't. I like rugby but a lot of people don't. I like going hillwalking - and there's always a chance that I'll crash the car on the way and take someone out, or cause some kind of accident on the hills that puts others in danger.

Edited by biffer

Yip, and most air shows have a safe flightline. Which means aerobatics only take place a mile from crowds and never overhead. The days of Canberras buzzing thousands died in the 1950's after the tragedy of Farnborough.

You can't legislate for power going and a plane crashing off site. Let's be clear, the plane did not crash on the airshow.

It's a tragic accident, however as the airframes of these classic aircraft get older and older, you do have to ask when they will not be able to fly.

The last flying Vulcan will have to stop this year as they just don't know how minx longer a 50 year old airframe can take being thrown around.

J

There's another question as well - do you have them piloted by older guys who have flown them operationally and know them inside out, but have slower reactions if something goes wrong, or younger guys who can react better but haven't the same level of experience in these old planes?

I have been to the last 3 previous Air Shows at Shoreham and they are amazing. They are a great day out and pretty spectacular but there will always be risk involved. Dangerous fun is the best kind of fun.....Although after Saturday I am not sure I will go to another one, especially with the kids.