78 Shirt - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

78 Shirt

macqueen

I can't work out if this is real or not. It looks too good to be true, absolutely perfect. The badge doesn't seem right for the period, and the Umbro label looks like it has been sewed in half way down.

I seen the same woman selling the exact same jersey 2 weeks ago, so either it was returned or she's got 2. Either way, it makes it look even more dodgy.

If it's fake, it's good one, I'll give her that.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-Rare-Scotland-Umbro-1977-1978-Shirt-Brand-New-in-Original-Bag-Adults-Size-/321829754334?nav=SEARCH

That was my first top. I got the full strip for my birthday in 1977, came in this cool Umbro display box :)

Looks legit, the badge is definitely the same and the label is just as I remember it too. If it's a fake it is indeed a very good one...

Edited by Toepoke

Part of me thinks that is far to good to be true and that they are greatly underselling the shirt (there was a woman in Wales in the early 2000's who seemed to have a unlimited supply of Scotland 78 shirts... all in kids sizes unfortunately.... and she was looking for that kind of money)

There is a firm from Singapore that do "fakes" of classic shirts, but they are every bit as good as the original!

They seem to do a lot of Man United tops, but also do Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee United shirts.

Their only Scotland one I have seen is the 1982 World Cup one, which I purchased, and when up against my original 82 shirt, you would be really hard pushed to tell the difference.

This firm seem to have flooded the market with retro shirts.

Anyone bought a shirt from here: www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk ? Looks like a mix of worn/used tops and some still in their original packaging. They get more expensive, the further you go back. Some classics on there (from everywhere around the world).

Edited by EIFA10

Anyone bought a shirt from here: www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk ? Looks like a mix of worn/used tops and some still in their original packaging. They get more expensive, the further you go back. Some classics on there (from everywhere around the world).

Many times.

His stock is all legit.... he varies from massively over pricing some stuff, to greatly under pricing it at times.

He buys almost all his stuff from Ebay (I have sold many shirts to him for a couple of quid, and watched him sell them on for £30 or so a week later when he has them up on his site).

Many times.

His stock is all legit.... he varies from massively over pricing some stuff, to greatly under pricing it at times.

He buys almost all his stuff from Ebay (I have sold many shirts to him for a couple of quid, and watched him sell them on for £30 or so a week later when he has them up on his site).

Tempted to buy one or two. I think I will avoid any used XXL Scotland tops from the 90's, however. No amount of Bold Lavender & Camomile is going to shift the smell of 20 years of TA abuse.

Tempted to buy one or two. I think I will avoid any used XXL Scotland tops from the 90's, however. No amount of Bold Lavender & Camomile is going to shift the smell of 20 years of TA abuse.

Soak them in a bucket of 2 parts water, 1 part white vinegar. Then wash them normally. Works wonders! Many Scotland fans clearly don't know this tip.

Edited by thewelk

That's a legit shirt, I've 4/5 identical ones some in original boxes and they're in the same condition.

You'd be surprised just how many of these are going around but the majority are in kids sizes.

There was a seller on EBay from Wales who must've cleared an Umbro factory at one point and sold loads of original different teams Umbro kits in original packaging.

• 3 weeks later...