George Cole - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phenomenal as Arthur Daley, truly one of the all-time great TV performances. There were even some classic episodes with the young guy who replaced Dennis Waterman, and the new cops. Who were anti-Chisholms. - instead of thinking Arthur was a criminal genius, they thought he was a laughing stock.

Cole cam from a working class family, increasongly rare in the modern acting profession.

Phenomenal as Arthur Daley, truly one of the all-time great TV performances. There were even some classic episodes with the young guy who replaced Dennis Waterman, and the new cops. Who were anti-Chisholms. - instead of thinking Arthur was a criminal genius, they thought he was a laughing stock.

The Ray Daley years are very hit or miss...... some good stuff in there, but nothing on the scale of the early stuff (series 3/4 to me is the best all round Minder series), but better than the last two Waterman series where he just phoned them in...... also round about this time it had shifted from Waterman being the main character to Arthur being the star (the show was originally a Dennis Waterman show, with Arthur a background character) and the drama to comedy ratio going from 80-20 to 40-60......

The Ray Daley years are very hit or miss...... some good stuff in there, but nothing on the scale of the early stuff (series 3/4 to me is the best all round Minder series), but better than the last two Waterman series where he just phoned them in...... also round about this time it had shifted from Waterman being the main character to Arthur being the star (the show was originally a Dennis Waterman show, with Arthur a background character) and the drama to comedy ratio going from 80-20 to 40-60......

I can't bear to watch the Webster ones - think he hit hard times after Minder.

Edit: According to Wiki he started encountering debt problems during his first series on Minder.

Edited by Charlie Endell

I was searching Youtube a couple of weeks ago to see if there was an Alastair Sim interview ever filmed (there wasnt) but it suggested an episode of the One Show from a couple of years ago with George Cole

I was shocked at how he had aged and that was 2 years ago

RIP Flash Harry

A bit gutted as its another part of our youth gone

I can't bear to watch the Webster ones - think he hit hard times after Minder.

Edit: According to Wiki he started encountering debt problems during his first series on Minder.

As said, very hit or miss.... Couple of good episodes in there, but also some of the worst in Minder history.

Yeah, think he had a heart attack at something like 41 years old and appeared in nothing for years until popping up in Crossroads when it was relaunched in the early 00's.... Think he still does go around saying "I was in Minder you know" as he appeared in a TV commercial for when Gold or something was reairing Minder few years back.

Patrick Malahide is a highly-respected thespian.

Yep - and if you didnt know and watched Comfort and Joy you would be convinced he was Scottish

Yep - and if you didnt know and watched Comfort and Joy you would be convinced he was Scottish

I've never seen Comfort & Joy :ph34r: - he played a Scottish forensics guy in an episode of The Sweeney - he didn't quite have the accent nailed... Edited by Charlie Endell

....and the news pick that fanny Morely to interview about Arfur's passing.

The BBC News 24 interview with Dennis Waterman around 5.30pm was a disgrace

Waterman was clearly drinking a pint of juice in a pub beergarden- looked like Blackcurrant - and twice the interviewer tried to give the impression he was boozing

At the end (after interupting him a couple of times) the interviewer joked to Waterman "enjoy yer pint" and Waterman just said " whatever"

Cole tells a good story in one of the DVD interviews.... After about 4 years of Minder him and Waterman are talking to each other and Cole says he is sure that they had worked together before.... They threw movies and TV shows back and forth until Waterman mentioned one of his very first walk on parts in a war movie in the 50's, and turned out Cole was in that movie playing a army officer in the trenches and had walked over a "dead" Waterman in the mud LOL

The BBC News 24 interview with Dennis Waterman around 5.30pm was a disgrace

Waterman was clearly drinking a pint of juice in a pub beergarden- looked like Blackcurrant - and twice the interviewer tried to give the impression he was boozing

At the end (after interupting him a couple of times) the interviewer joked to Waterman "enjoy yer pint" and Waterman just said " whatever"

Did they ask if he's going to sing at the funeral?...