I've Always Liked Craigie Broon.... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I've Always Liked Craigie Broon....

Maq

How does David Johnson fit into that criteria?

I guess Craig Brown would say that he applied the rules as they are - but he thinks the rules should be changed

I remember interviewing him for Tartan Army Magazine before the England game at Wembley and he said that he never agreed with the grandparent rule but he still used it. That's how we ended up having Sullivan, Elliott & Gould in the France '98 squad.

I guess Craig Brown would say that he applied the rules as they are - but he thinks the rules should be changed

True, but I think only reason he is saying this just now is because of McGeady and McCarthy, any other time he would not be all that bothered.

I've long thought that managers of the national team should have the same qualification criteria as the players.

Aye, me too - otherwise it's hardly pitting nations against each other

I've long thought that managers of the national team should have the same qualification criteria as the players.

Completely agree, it would drive the manager to push for more. I don't think Vogts would of gave 2 monkeys.

I think he may have been bothered about Houghton, Coyle and Coyne off the top of my head, there is probably more.....

Am I not right in thinking all of them would have chose Scotland had they been asked?Also houghtons father was Irish Edited by tam4ritchie

I think he may have been bothered about Houghton, Coyle and Coyne off the top of my head, there is probably more.....

Slightly different kettle of fish.....

Houghton jumped ship at the 1st chance at a time when we were in no real need for a player in his position.

Coyle was close to 30 when he got his 1 cap, and up to then had been playing most his career in the Scottish 1st division for teams who were relegation fodder when they got promoted to the premiership.

Same applies for Tommy Coyne who was 30 when he switched to Ireland (granted he went on to have a career with them).

TBH Coyne and Coyle were no major loses as this was at a time when we had guys like McCoist and Johnstone as our main two strikers, and plenty of other options waiting in the wings.

Slightly different kettle of fish.....

Houghton jumped ship at the 1st chance at a time when we were in no real need for a player in his position.

Coyle was close to 30 when he got his 1 cap, and up to then had been playing most his career in the Scottish 1st division for teams who were relegation fodder when they got promoted to the premiership.

Same applies for Tommy Coyne who was 30 when he switched to Ireland (granted he went on to have a career with them).

TBH Coyne and Coyle were no major loses as this was at a time when we had guys like McCoist and Johnstone as our main two strikers, and plenty of other options waiting in the wings.

Houghton will be at the Sunshine Appeal night on Friday.