Interesting Goings On At Tannadice? - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Interesting Goings On At Tannadice?

Is the concern financial or around the people? Doubt your club can match Rangers for drama and nonsense but are they about to try?

Nah, it's not the same scale of thing as Rangers. There is claim and counter-claim - the board have now said that the £500k to unnamed parties is "fictitious" - while guy at ArabTrust told me that Thompson had, albeit reluctantly, told him explicitly that JMac and the coaching staff had negotiated a clause in their contract extensions that gave them a percentage of future transfer fees.

Thompson had agreed because he was very keen to retain JMac's services, without consulting the rest of the board. I'm not raging at this as ArabTrust seem to be - I think United need to be creative with their contracts to retain staff, but it's not great, is it?

I was also given a higher figure for debt than I would have thought possible - and directly contradictory to the "several hundred thousand in soft loans" that the board had declared a couple of months back. Not sure I believe this higher figure, have asked a few others who may know if they can confirm.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, it's not the same scale of thing as Rangers. There is claim and counter-claim - the board have now said that the £500k to unnamed parties is "fictitious" - while guy at ArabTrust told me that Thompson had, albeit reluctantly, told him explicitly that JMac and the coaching staff had negotiated a clause in their contract extensions that gave them a percentage of future transfer fees.

Thompson had agreed because he was very keen to retain JMac's services, without consulting the rest of the board. I'm not raging at this as ArabTrust seem to be - I think United need to be creative with their contracts to retain staff, but it's not great, is it?

I was also given a higher figure for debt than I would have thought possible - and directly contradictory to the "several hundred thousand in soft loans" that the board had declared a couple of months back. Not sure I believe this higher figure, have asked a few others who may know if they can confirm.

I was surprised when Thompson said recently that the club were not debt free but were moving towards it.

On top of the £6.3m for the 4 players mentioned there has been another £3m for Goodwillie and Russell too. That seems a lot more than than the stated debt in recent financial reports.

Have the fees been overstated? Are/were those amounts dependent upon appearances etc? And/or are percentages of those fees going outwith the club's coffers for various reasons? Again I suppose none of it will ever be crystal clear as clubs like to be quite creative in their dealings as far as I can see.

Wouldn't have thought there is anything particularly alarming happening - looks to me to be more frustrating in that a massive amount has come in but the debt maybe being reduced as fans would have thought.

I was surprised when Thompson said recently that the club were not debt free but were moving towards it.

On top of the £6.3m for the 4 players mentioned there has been another £3m for Goodwillie and Russell too. That seems a lot more than than the stated debt in recent financial reports.

Have the fees been overstated? Are/were those amounts dependent upon appearances etc? And/or are percentages of those fees going outwith the club's coffers for various reasons? Again I suppose none of it will ever be crystal clear as clubs like to be quite creative in their dealings as far as I can see.

Wouldn't have thought there is anything particularly alarming happening - looks to me to be more frustrating in that a massive amount has come in but the debt maybe being reduced as fans would have thought.

On top of the near £9m in for players (think it was only £2.75 in total for DG and JR) there have been two cup finals which generally in almost a million quid.

The higher debt figure I got is apparently correct at the moment although it will half in September when staged transfer payments are received.

To me the crux of the matter is whether you think giving the management an incentive to sell players for big fees is a bad idea. A matter of opinion I think.

On top of the near £9m in for players (think it was only £2.75 in total for DG and JR) there have been two cup finals which generally in almost a million quid.

The higher debt figure I got is apparently correct at the moment although it will half in September when staged transfer payments are received.

To me the crux of the matter is whether you think giving the management an incentive to sell players for big fees is a bad idea. A matter of opinion I think.

Aye I can see that and it is a conflict of interest where the bank balance could be seen to come before the fortunes of the team. On the other hand it provides an incentive to coach and scout players who are good enough to command big fees which benefit the club and the manager.

That's it. If the team is shit then nobody is going to want to buy the players....

:ok:

People buy our players because they are very good.

It's annoying as a supporter when your team sells players for decent money then doesn't buy decent players back.

Can you imagine Jim McLean allowing Dave Narey, Davie Dodds, John Holt, Ralph Milne or any of United's Dundee born stars to sign for Aberdeen? Not on your fecking nelly - first rule of youth scouting is you have to be the man in your own manor.

If Aberdeen's youth development were any good they would have spotted these boys. Your scouts should be shot, you're as clueless as Rangers when it comes to youth.

Gauld was spotted playing in the Dundee Boys league as was Souttar so maybe that would suggest that the Dundee clubs would be at an advantage,

No clubs can sign everyone from their own patch. Anderson, Considine, Pawlett, Jack all regular starters last season all through the youth system. Add in Cammy Smith whom had a number of appearances and I'd say AFC are far from clueless.

That's before we include the players that have moved on - Ryan Fraser, Jack Grimmer, Fraser Fyvie and Chris Maguire for over £1.5m then there's evidence that someone knows what they are doing. Only thing the club got wrong with those 4 was not managing contracts though in Grimmer's case he was always moving on.

Next names to look out for will be McKenna, Wright, Storie, Gibbons and Mutch.

Can you imagine Jim McLean allowing Dave Narey, Davie Dodds, John Holt, Ralph Milne or any of United's Dundee born stars to sign for Aberdeen? Not on your fecking nelly - first rule of youth scouting is you have to be the man in your own manor.

So what happened with Stephen Glass?

In any case none of the above were better than their direct counterpart at Pittodrie.

Anyway back on topic - the fans groups have released another statement. They are still not happy with their board.

To be fair there's hardly a board around that the fans actually like.

To be fair there's hardly a board around that the fans actually like.

True but I would have said up until this week the relationship at Tannadice was appeared as good as any.

It is unusual for supporters groups to be so openly critical at the running of their own club. Always grumblings on the terraces and on forums by individuals but there is something more formal in supporters associations agreeing to publish open letters having a go at their club.

So what happened with Stephen Glass?

In any case none of the above were better than their direct counterpart at Pittodrie.

Glass was pish and all boys named won the league in 83.

Gauld and Souttar both played for Brechin and therefore there to be grabbed. ?