Mccall Takes Rangers Job - Page 9 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mccall Takes Rangers Job

On the basis of the last couple of months it's hard to imagine Rangers reaching the playoffs never mind getting through them.

I'd agree with that but I think there was something in the first twenty minutes last night that made me think that there was something there - the fact that the team then lost shape and drive is obviously the concern and the reason to doubt.

For me the McCulloch/McGregor partnership just doesn't work - McCulloch is way too slow and McGregor is a bombscare. The solution might be (and no laughing at the back) Moshni playing centre half and being reigned in from going forward. He can actually defend but he hares upfield too often and leaves the defence exposed. As a sitting central defender I think he could be effective - though maybe I'm deluding myself!! I'd also expect to see Black come back into the team, and probably Robbie Crawford, maybe even Aird for additional width. I also wouldn't see it as being totally out of the question to bring in a couple of players before the end of the month.

Based on the weekend and last night you would and could reasonably expect the team to drop out the playoffs but I think we'll probably cobble enough to get there and then it will be a case of what McCall and Black are able to conjure from the existing squad. Personally though I won't be that unhappy if we don't go up assuming we use a further year in the Championship to gut the team and actually develop a squad that can challenge in the SPL.

TT

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think you're being harsh re the McCall appointment. We needed a new manager and he was available for free, has a decent pedigree at Motherwell, knows Scottish football and is familiar with the club. Plus he is a popular ex player.

I'm not convinced that being a popular ex-player is a positive.

I'm not convinced that being a popular ex-player is a positive.

Agreed - it's a bonus if your manager does a good job and he happens to be a club legend.

It was a factor in his appointment though and I understand why the board made it a factor.

Aside from that, there were very few potential candidates for the job.

Edited by bruce778

Agreed - it's a bonus if your manager does a good job and he happens to be a club legend.

It was a factor in his appointment though and I understand why the board made it a factor.

Aside from that, there were very few potential candidates for the job.

caldo_280x390_965761a.jpg

Love that folk are writing McCall off after a week - what do folk think he was going to do in that timeframe without the ability to bring anyone in or actually have time to spend with the existing playing staff.

I'm happy to see where he takes us over the next few months, and think the Board made the correct decision based on who was available and who can make the greatest impact over the short term - and by that I mean two to three months.

TT

Wouldn't be surprised if went to Killie and started banging them in.

It is quite clearly a confidence and motivational problem at Rangers.

He just can't be fecked like a lot of them, apart from Murdoch and Walsh, the boys are a breath of fresh air.

Thought Dean Shiels was decent last night as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if went to Killie and started banging them in.

It is quite clearly a confidence and motivational problem at Rangers.

He just can't be fecked like a lot of them, apart from Murdoch and Walsh, the boys are a breath of fresh air.

Thought Dean Shiels was decent last night as well.

who are they? are they from your youth team?

The closer to the end of the season this gets I can see it turning into a bit of a Hibs situation from last year.

The vast majoirty of the squad know they are onto plums next year and are out the door, the closer to the end of the season they get the lower the morale, determination and desire get.

They would be better off getting in a few more of the younger players as at least they have a future to play for.

Sounds like another under performing club that i know very well :oops:

Aye Murdoch is 20 and Walshy is 18.

The fight and hunger in them puts their older compatriots to shame.

makes you wonder what might have been if mccoist had given more of them a bit of a run in the team. I know he played some of them but it was very sparingly.

makes you wonder what might have been if mccoist had given more of them a bit of a run in the team. I know he played some of them but it was very sparingly.

tell me about it mate, shambles.

If this is true, then I'm glad. Boyd should never have been brought back in the first place. Ridiculous signing and he has done absolutely nothing to prove me wrong.

I agree with Fairbairn. The players seem to be mollycoddled at Ibrox and of course the buck stops with Ally McCoist. He was under terrible pressure at times but it's a myth and utter utter nonsense to say he was working under impossible conditions. He was given plenty of money to spend and he has filled the place with over the hill useless wasters. Even the talented lads have gone completely downhill. Wallace, Templeton, Law?

We are now in a position whereby we are so far adrift in terms of playing staff it's going take us years to sort it out. None of them have any sell on value and we will in fact lose the majority for nothing. It's not one or two we are talking about here, there are 14 or 15 of them that should be shown the door.

Have said already, I'm not happy with the McCall appointment. If I was certain that it would definitely be to the end of the season then fine. I fear he will be given it long term. It's the cheap and easy option. Unbelievably this appointment has STILL managed to appease the bulk of our fans. Honestly we are clueless at times!

Edited by Angus_Young

There was plenty of arrogance, hubris and gloating down Govan way a few years ago when Rangers embarked on their insane policy of handing huge wages to the likes of Black, Daly, Shiels, Bell, Boyd, Miller, Templeton, Wallace et all.

A policy which seemed in part to be simply a desperate sign that they were still a 'big club' and that they could buy whoever they wanted from which ever club they wanted.

It's hard to have the slightest iota of sympathy for them as they prepare for another ruinous year in the lower leagues.

If this is true, then I'm glad. Boyd should never have been brought back in the first place. Ridiculous signing and he has done absolutely nothing to prove me wrong.

I agree with Fairbairn. The players seem to be mollycoddled at Ibrox and of course the buck stops with Ally McCoist. He was under terrible pressure at times but it's a myth and utter utter nonsense to say he was working under impossible conditions. He was given plenty of money to spend and he has filled the place with over the hill useless wasters. Even the talented lads have gone completely downhill. Wallace, Templeton, Law?

We are now in a position whereby we are so far adrift in terms of playing staff it's going take us years to sort it out. None of them have any sell on value and we will in fact lose the majority for nothing. It's not one or two we are talking about here, there are 14 or 15 of them that should be shown the door.

Have said already, I'm not happy with the McCall appointment. If I was certain that it would definitely be to the end of the season then fine. I fear he will be given it long term. It's the cheap and easy option. Unbelievably this appointment has STILL managed to appease the bulk of our fans. Honestly we are clueless at times!

I think we need a total break from the past and a new manager needs to be appointed who'll carry out a total overhaul of the football side of the club.

There was plenty of arrogance, hubris and gloating down Govan way a few years ago when Rangers embarked on their insane policy of handing huge wages to the likes of Black, Daly, Shiels, Bell, Boyd, Miller, Templeton, Wallace et all.

A policy which seemed in part to be simply a desperate sign that they were still a 'big club' and that they could buy whoever they wanted from which ever club they wanted.

It's hard to have the slightest iota of sympathy for them as they prepare for another ruinous year in the lower leagues.

Coming from a wise man whose drunken rantings to poor wee Jockstrap in no way defined a new level of arrogance, hubris and gloating on the TAMB, I'll be sure to take your heartfelt concerns for us poor bluenoses to heart :ok:

Your comments always make me laugh though, particularly the imagined gloating over signing Dean Sheilds - seriously, go point me in that direction.

Seriously though, go focus on your own teams success and stop it with the faux rage ... and for god sake go for a walk on Sunday afternoon rather than barricading yourself in the basement with the TV set to Easter Road, a six pack of bacardi breezers, and a large box of kleenex!! It would be doing us all a favour! :-))

TT

Edited by TartanTeddy

Coming from a wise man whose drunken rantings to poor wee Jockstrap in no way defined a new level of arrogance, hubris and gloating on the TAMB, I'll be sure to take your heartfelt concerns for us poor bluenoses to heart :ok:

Your comments always make me laugh though, particularly the imagined gloating over signing Dean Sheilds - seriously, go point me in that direction.

Seriously though, go focus on your own teams success and stop it with the faux rage ... and for god sake go for a walk on Sunday afternoon rather than barricading yourself in the basement with the TV set to Easter Road, a six pack of bacardi breezers, and a large box of kleenex!! It would be doing us all a favour! :-))

TT

Ach.

I was going to mention Kyle Laugherty but you must be going through enough embarrassment and pain already.... :lol: