Short Break In Scotland Advice - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Short Break In Scotland Advice

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hire a bike. There are some excellent forest tacks for cycling. National route 7 actually takes you through some forest and heather moor before coming out at Aviemore.

we hired MTBs from a place by tennis courts on road to Cairngorm ; cycled past Loch Morlich ; then crossed over past the outdoor centre then found this track (which had old black/white chevrons on it) which turns out was old road before the built the main access to ski hill via Coylumbridge

the steam train ; boat of garden ? is good for the kids

ditto comments on bridge inn - a hidden gem

My usual pitstops on the road to and from Skye.

Luss

The Green Welly at Tyndrum (Great food)

The van at the car park overlooking Loch Tulla as you approach Rannoch Moor.

The Glencoe visitor centre.

The Scotmid at Ballachulish

McDonalds at Fort William.

The cafe at Spean Bridge Garden Centre.

And before anyone asks no I don't do them all every time, except the Green Welly.

excellent! ta

Britain's only reindeer herd are just outside Aviemore. There's a guided tour and you can pet and feed them. Safari park type activities wouldn't normally float my boat but the reindeer were really powerful but really relaxed and tame - wasn't expecting to enjoy the experience as much as I did.

As for pubs The Old Bridge Inn is worth a mention.

How could i forget them. Not been in year but when I was young we did the walk up to see them in the hills which was great.

Old bridge Inn is good too although usually busy.

Bridge Inn is a cracking wee pub, The Woodshed at Coylumbridge is another decent pub

Yea my family has timeshare at Coylumbridge woodshed is great too although out the way from the main bit of aviemore but if you are out a cycle or walk down that way it's worth a stop.

Skye is nice but Islay is much better. Hotels are good but you need to book early to get deals as the entire island gets booked out for the summer.

The Islay Hotel is Port Ellen is good and the White Hart isn't bad either.

Food on the island is good with plenty of restaurants and even a chip van, if you're missing that salt and vinegar overload.

Tons to do as well with deer, seals, Sea eagles, Bustards and assorted other wildlife to see. Personal favourite was the other we saw at the ferry port at Kennacraig.

Some absolutely perfect beaches to enjoy. Machir Bay is just immense.

And the pubs are all good. The 7 or 8 distilleries are worth a visit too, just not when your driving!

People are also incredibly friendly too, so you basically can't go wrong.

Skye is nice but Islay is much better. Hotels are good but you need to book early to get deals as the entire island gets booked out for the summer.

The Islay Hotel is Port Ellen is good and the White Hart isn't bad either.

Food on the island is good with plenty of restaurants and even a chip van, if you're missing that salt and vinegar overload.

Tons to do as well with deer, seals, Sea eagles, Bustards and assorted other wildlife to see. Personal favourite was the other we saw at the ferry port at Kennacraig.

Some absolutely perfect beaches to enjoy. Machir Bay is just immense.

And the pubs are all good. The 7 or 8 distilleries are worth a visit too, just not when your driving!

People are also incredibly friendly too, so you basically can't go wrong.

Islay is good but Skye is stunning Islay is simply not in its league there.