Thatcher Government 30 Year Old News - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Thatcher Government 30 Year Old News

Thatcher government 'did use Scots as guinea pigs for the Poll Tax'

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/wider-political-news/thatcher-government-did-use-scots-as-guinea-pigs-for-the-poll-tax.115080706

Thatcher's government considered suspending Barnett formula amid accusations Scotland had its "snout in the trough"

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/wider-political-news/thatchers-government-considered-suspending-barnett-formula-amid-accusa.115091547

I canna read this, but I read elsewhere George Younger wanted it put through. How can you hate your own country so much?

Er, you used to describe the community charge as "the fairest tax ever".

It was a mad idea (from a practical point of view).

The current system certainly isn't fair - e.g. three working adults next door only pay a third more than me on my Bob Todd.

Edited by Charlie Endell

Is that not the worlds least surprising revelation? Who out there didn't know Scotland was used as a guinea pig?

The day we stop bothering to note they are shown up for lying...

(to borrow from another thread)

...is when we shut up and eat our cereal

Edited by exile

Er, you used to describe the community charge as "the fairest tax ever".

It was a mad idea (from a practical point of view).

The current system certainly isn't fair - e.g. three working adults next door only pay a third more than me on my Bob Todd.

I still maintain everyone should contribute. My point is no-one knew how it would work, and snivelling North brits thought they'd try out on their own country first. Unforgivable. Edited by Flora MaDonald

Following a rating revaluation the previous system was extremely unpopular in Scotland, which is why Younger misguidedly wanted to introduce the community charge in Scotland as soon as possible.

You must have thought it was working pretty well to have described it as "the fairest tax ever". In which case Scotland would have been 'benefitting' by its early introduction.

Even Nigel Lawson had the common sense to see that it was "unworkable".

I was earning heehaw at the time, but I still paid it, as it helped support vital services. Unlike cünts like MacAskill, who put political posturing first.

Edited by Charlie Endell