Statues outside Hampden 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Statues outside Hampden 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Was watching a program on BBC about a sculpture from Scotland who has done some magnificent Football statues at various grounds over the UK. For the life of me I cannot remember his name. Got me thinking.. 

I have only been to Hampden maybe 10 times, and don't recall seeing any statues of Scottish football heroes.. I could be wrong, Now, if there is not, are there any plans to erect a Statue or Statues, and who do you think is deserving of one? I read an article that was published in 2020, and there was mention of the likes of Gemmill, Dalglish, Baxter, Law, even James McFadden made the short list for example that may be considered. Has anyone heard anything on this proposal? I also read that the biggest hurdle was if Hampden would remain the National Stadium therefore a Statue or Statues would go ahead....

I personally think it's long overdue. We should be doing this to honor our Scottish Football heroes for old and younger generations to enjoy.

Apologies if there is a Statue or Statues, but I could not find any additional information... 

Who would be your vote? 

It would be great to see. Ideally one of Andy Robertson holding the Euro trophy...

All seriousness thought there are probably 2 factors at play that would preclude this in practice

1- Lack of tangible success in terms of silverware. Otherwise you are looking more at personal achievements e.g caps or goals totals, which stand to be broken eventually so where do you draw the line. Realistically major international trophies are isolated to quite a narrow set of countries. Off the top of my head I can't think of many countries that have international heroes who haven't won trophies that would likely have a statue put up. Could be wrong though

2 - Players for certain clubs in some countries will certainly divide/split reception within the radical non-nationalist club support. Scotland certainly fits well into that category. For example in current standing a Dalgleish statue would be a no brainer but try stopping that from getting vandalized given the amount of times per season either half of the old firm play at Hampden. Even if you stuck it at the normal Celtic end.

Personally I would love to see it but it could open up a can of worms.

23 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

It would be great to see. Ideally one of Andy Robertson holding the Euro trophy...

All seriousness thought there are probably 2 factors at play that would preclude this in practice

1- Lack of tangible success in terms of silverware. Otherwise you are looking more at personal achievements e.g caps or goals totals, which stand to be broken eventually so where do you draw the line. Realistically major international trophies are isolated to quite a narrow set of countries. Off the top of my head I can't think of many countries that have international heroes who haven't won trophies that would likely have a statue put up. Could be wrong though

2 - Players for certain clubs in some countries will certainly divide/split reception within the radical non-nationalist club support. Scotland certainly fits well into that category. For example in current standing a Dalgleish statue would be a no brainer but try stopping that from getting vandalized given the amount of times per season either half of the old firm play at Hampden. Even if you stuck it at the normal Celtic end.

Personally I would love to see it but it could open up a can of worms.

Great post !! Never thought about the Celtic v Rangers bit... 

12 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Great post !! Never thought about the Celtic v Rangers bit... 

There are similar issues that would come up in other countries as well so I'm not trying to pin anything on support of either side of the OF as I know that's a good rabbit hole to get down elsewhere 😉 but certainly in other countries where Ultras culture among club support is much more established could easily thro up the same issue

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Come to think of it I have a vague memory of Sweden attempting a Zlatan statue and it getting a doing because they just think he's a bit of a prick 😂

It was outside the stadium of his first club Malmö, but after he became co-owner of rivals Hammarby it was repeatedly vandalised by fans (either from Malmö or St Mirren).

On 5/4/2024 at 10:12 AM, McTeeko said:

For every legend like Dalglish, Bremner, Mackay they’ll put up a lassies equivalent 😒

Sadly that would be the case.. The woman's movement would be protesting outside Hampden...

9 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Sadly that would be the case.. The woman's movement would be protesting outside Hampden...

You're right. Wouldn't matter that they hadn't earned it. It would just all be about them wanting it. A ridiculous sense of entitlement. 

1 minute ago, thesaint said:

You're right. Wouldn't matter that they hadn't earned it. It would just all be about them wanting it. A ridiculous sense of entitlement. 

Exactly mate !!