Scotland v Northern Ireland Match Thread - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v Northern Ireland Match Thread

Tartan blood

7 minutes ago, Goozay said:

I am seriously using the last two games of the campaign as examples.

Part of the reason folk think that you’re a troll is because you start posts with things like “are you for real?” and "you can’t be serious about…”. You are also prone to hyperbole, literally no one thinks everything is "rosie", so people's heads can all stay exactly where they are. 

Another reason folk think you’re a troll is because you jump around and constantly move the goalposts.

I was seriously using the last two games of the campaign to make a point out about the argument that Clarke doesn’t have a plan B because he hasn’t tried different style of play from the start of games. That’s a direct quote from you by the way “actually trying out a different style of playing before the match starts would help”.

We lined up differently in the last two games of the campaign, compared to how we started the other matches, and lined up differently again on Friday in Amsterdam. To suggest that Clarke doesn’t to try out different styles of play is clearly false.

We looked a bit shonky in defence in those last two games of the campaign because, as you rightly point out, we’ve got about 11 or 12 really good players, but if a couple of those players are injured or underperforming it really shows. It’s got nothing to do with Clarke not trying out different styles of play.

Similarly, we lost the game in Amsterdam because we failed to take any of the multiple chances that we created (while playing a different style of play than usual) and then switched off at the back in the final quarter. Lack of depth to the squad also came in to play as The Netherlands improved their attacking threat from the bench, whereas our bench weakened us overall.

TL/DR: our underperforming in recent matches has far more to do with lack of depth to the squad and very little to do with Steve Clarke not having a Plan B, which he clearly does – along with a Plan C and D.

There wasn't folk saying I am a troll as you mention more than once, think there was one person. Don't get your little panties  in a twist now.

If you have to resort to calling someone a troll when debating a topic then you are just incapable of holding a conversation clearly.

Well i've given my reasons to think you can't be serious when talking about some of the games you brought up, not gonna bother repeating myself.

There is a difference between trying out different systems and tactics and having to actually change the team due to injuries/suspensions, not sure if you are getting that point?

We have always been a bit shakey in defence for years now even when we have managed to keep clean sheets, let's not kid ourselves on here as we've had our fair share of luck..

Steve Clarke is partly at fault with not using certain players or calling them upto the squad, even leaving some with the under 21's which to me was baffling. Anyway I've made several points in previous posts so you can read them if you want all of my opinions.

End of the day, my opinion doesn't have to matter to anyone else but I do like to get it out there for others to discuss at least, otherwise what is the point in a fan forum

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

There wasn't folk saying I am a troll as you mention more than once, think there was one person. Don't get your little panties  in a twist now.

If you have to resort to calling someone a troll when debating a topic then you are just incapable of holding a conversation clearly.

Well i've given my reasons to think you can't be serious when talking about some of the games you brought up, not gonna bother repeating myself.

There is a difference between trying out different systems and tactics and having to actually change the team due to injuries/suspensions, not sure if you are getting that point?

We have always been a bit shakey in defence for years now even when we have managed to keep clean sheets, let's not kid ourselves on here as we've had our fair share of luck..

Steve Clarke is partly at fault with not using certain players or calling them upto the squad, even leaving some with the under 21's which to me was baffling. Anyway I've made several points in previous posts so you can read them if you want all of my opinions.

End of the day, my opinion doesn't have to matter to anyone else but I do like to get it out there for others to discuss at least, otherwise what is the point in a fan forum

👍on the whole, this is a reasoned and measured post👍

how did it feel?

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't done the necessary leg work but I reckon, statistically, this game is the most Scotland have dominated any team in virtually every statistic since, well, ever 🤔

Yet still we lost, football eh!?