Trains - Page 2 - Scotland v Switzerland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone flying with Lufthansa, they offer a train package for €30 each way to anywhere in Germany, covers day before flight, day of & day after travel. Should cover us getting from Frankfurt to Munich on 13th, to Stuttgart on 23rd then to Frankfurt for home on 24th.  Only other train we need & have booked so far is for matches in Cologne. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, marello said:

Staying in Koblenz, reading this thread, what's the advice on return train.  Not looking to leave Cologne before 2am, maybe later if we get right result!! There appears to be a direct train around 4am

At least hourly direct connection to Koblenz. Both regional and interregional trains. Totally easy.

23 minutes ago, YesTA said:

Is the regional train before and after the game free from Dusseldorf to Cologne free on matchday with a ticket?

Answering my own question. Yes you can but only for local/regional trains.

My next question - do you book in advance or just turn up and hope for the best with next train with space?

16 hours ago, TA-West Germany said:

With match ticket no need to book train ticket 

Aye iv got a match ticket and staying in Dusseldorf. Perfect so il just turn on to the Hbf on the day to go to Cologne and back some point after the game

2 hours ago, YesTA said:

Aye iv got a match ticket and staying in Dusseldorf. Perfect so il just turn on to the Hbf on the day to go to Cologne and back some point after the game

Aye. Generally getting from one destination to another will be very fan friendly and not difficult. If you stay in the Western area of Germany with those 4-5 host stadiums (Cologne, Dusseldorf, Dortmund, Schalke, Frankfurt) all will be smooth.

Hi I'm another one staying in Mannheim. It looks like we are not on any of the free rail travel lines.

So it's best to book return train to Cologne and Stuttgart or is there a way of using the free lines,  then booking the train for part of the journey?

3 hours ago, stitch said:

Hi I'm another one staying in Mannheim. It looks like we are not on any of the free rail travel lines.

So it's best to book return train to Cologne and Stuttgart or is there a way of using the free lines,  then booking the train for part of the journey?

No. Either 29€ ticket if you have match ticket or Deutschland ticket for regional trains only 

Thanks. We have match tickets. 

Do we pre book or just take our chances at the station?

On 3/2/2024 at 7:12 PM, TA-West Germany said:

No. Either 29€ ticket if you have match ticket or Deutschland ticket for regional trains only 

14 hours ago, stitch said:

Thanks. We have match tickets. 

Do we pre book or just take our chances at the station?

From Mannheim to Cologne and Stuttgart you would have to pre-book. Double check if your fare is below or above 29€ per person. If above then try to get those 29€ tickets per trip. But for interregional trains you will have to pre book.

We're arriving from Zurich at around 2pm. Got a hotel between the stadium and the centre, no tickets and unlikely to get any realistically. Which of the 2 fan zones are likely to be moist popular?

On 2/29/2024 at 12:06 AM, TA-West Germany said:

At least hourly direct connection to Koblenz. Both regional and interregional trains. Totally easy.

off at tangent , but late 90s last minute bank hol w/e in london , all was available was BA flight to Cologne (twin prop - passengers facing each other ....) got a boat/cruise down to Koblenz = highlight for me was seeing the 'bridge at remagen ' en route  - then jumped on a train back to Cologne  - stayed in cheapo hotel near the station 

= this time booked a hotel in bonn / then for stuttgart = heidleberg  - hope that works out .....

got a 7 day in month eurail pass for me & the loon - reservations thru DB mostly

1 hour ago, lyonhibs said:

We're arriving from Zurich at around 2pm. Got a hotel between the stadium and the centre, no tickets and unlikely to get any realistically. Which of the 2 fan zones are likely to be moist popular?

Don’t go to Tanzbrunnen, that’s off city centre. The one in old town will be best. Also Zulpicher Street with all the bars and Aachener Weiher with beer garden are places you would go to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2024 at 9:19 AM, Allan Feeney said:

Flying into Brussels on the day of the game and Cologne from there. Wondering if there will be any others on the flight or train? Don't get there until about 6 so cutting it fine! 

Hi mate. We fly into Brussels on Monday the 17th and having a couple of nights in Bruges before heading to Cologne on the Eurostar from Brussels leaving at 11.25 on match day. 

3 hours ago, shunkyboy and the fluffer said:

We need to get to Dusseldorf airport the morning after the game. The trains with the best time for us are RE suffix trains. Does anyone know where you can buy these online as the just say not available on all the sites I have tried?

Possible they are sold out?

3 hours ago, shunkyboy and the fluffer said:

We need to get to Dusseldorf airport the morning after the game. The trains with the best time for us are RE suffix trains. Does anyone know where you can buy these online as the just say not available on all the sites I have tried?

RE = Regional Express. There's no seat reservations possible on these, just turn up on the day and hope you get a seat. Tickets are available on the bahn.de web-site, although if you were at the match, your match ticket will still be valid on local trains (which the RE are) on the day after the game.

1 hour ago, SteveMcD said:

RE = Regional Express. There's no seat reservations possible on these, just turn up on the day and hope you get a seat. Tickets are available on the bahn.de web-site, although if you were at the match, your match ticket will still be valid on local trains (which the RE are) on the day after the game.

Cheers mate. Thats what I suspected. Might just book on the earlier ICE train just to be safe even though it means we have to get up earlier and pay a bit more.

8 hours ago, shunkyboy and the fluffer said:

Cheers mate. Thats what I suspected. Might just book on the earlier ICE train just to be safe even though it means we have to get up earlier and pay a bit more.

Yeah match ticket will last. Take earliest train that brings you to Düsseldorf Flughafen Fernbahnhof, NOT Terminal Station. You won’t win much time with ICE compared to RE, RE is fine mate 

4 hours ago, TA-West Germany said:

Yeah match ticket will last. Take earliest train that brings you to Düsseldorf Flughafen Fernbahnhof, NOT Terminal Station. You won’t win much time with ICE compared to RE, RE is fine mate 

Thanks for that. Am I correct in thinking that the Flughafen Fernbahnhof is connected to the airport by the sky train?