Some general info about Cologne - Scotland v Switzerland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Some general info about Cologne

Here is some personal general information on Cologne…. (just my personal opinion and view)

Stadium

To my opinion (but I am fore sure not neutral 😊) one of the best proper football grounds of all new modern stadias in Germany. Atmosphere could get brilliant as stands are very close to pitch. You can get to the stadium easily by line 1 tram from city centre in about 15 minutes. Only critical point: the tram is overground and mixes up with traffic. So allow enough time to get to stadium before the game else you may be stuck once one tram is stopping due to different reasons. I think the local transport company will add loads more trams next to line 1 on game day. Another option is to take the S-Bahn from main railway station/Hansaring/Ehrenfeld to “Müngersdorf Technologiepark” and walk from there. Should be a 20 minute walk and can make things easier. Final option is to take same S-Bahn to Weiden West and come back from there with line 1 to stadium. This way you avoid the chaos going straight from city centre to stadium with line 1

City

There are two main spots for larger groups that are popular when the carnival season is going on. Zülpicher Str – which is the student quarter with loads of bars and pubs and for sure old town around Alter Markt and Heumarkt. Both are in plenty city centre and easily reachable by tram. Your best way to travel around town is tram. Once you go out of city, S-Bahn may be your option. I will not mention the sightseeing stuff as everyone can look that up on their own and most people will be staying for the booze mainly 😊 Another option for a mass of people could be Deutzer Werft. In 2006, England fans without tickets were watching the game in their thousands on a big screen down there. It is also close to city centre just on other side of river Rhine. Once I find out if this is planned I will let everyone know here. To be honest, I am not a fan of those official fan zones. I do not know the plans yet about where they should be etc. I guess one will be on Heumarkt in old town. Let’s wait and see

Accommodation

I guess this area will be full of football fans (Belgium, England also play a game in Cologne) so in case you cannot find affordable accommodation on Cologne city soil, feel free to look at all options in the Region: Leverkusen, Bergisch Gladbach, Düren, Bonn, etc. Public transport is usually good and you can easily get into Cologne city centre. In case you have questions about Accommodation area and are unsure if to book just post here and I will double check.

Most importantly: beers and bevvies 😊

For those going for pubs: old town is the place, there are 3 irish pubs in old town. Also Zülpicher Str is your 2nd main option. If you fancy staying outside having a foam party and drinking bottles/cans I am listing those supermarkets where you get drinks easily: Edeka and Rewe are the more expensive ones followed by Aldi. Rewe and Aldi are available in city centre. Lidl, Netto and Penny are bit cheaper but there are less supermarkets available. As you probably all know a bottle or can 0.5L is about 1€ to 1.50€. Good deal I would say 😊 Something that is getting popular at risk games in Bundesliga and also during carnival here in Cologne is a bottle and can ban due to security. I pray that this will not come for the Euros but if happening, it can get a bit more tricky with public drinking. On the other side I doubt that local authorities will be capable of controlling several ten thousand Scotland fans for bottles/cans. You will also be able to get the hard stuff in supermarkets. Alcohol sale ban policy is under 18 here in Germany. If you look younger the staff my ask you for ID to proof you are 18 and older.

I will try to add more information within following days/weeks/months to come.

Cheers,

David

Edited by TA-West Germany

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, stirlish said:

Would it be possible to get from Frankfurt- Munich then Munich - Cologne using the DB 49euro train ticket?

Possible yes but as posted somewhere else, with the 49€ ticket you can only use RE/RB/S-Bahn/local tram buses. No ICE. As you will have to stop over a few times and those trains go slower it will take you a while. Munich - Cologne I would estimate about 8-10 hours depending on connection + a few stop overs. I would recommend to use ICE

Hiya, thank you for this, do you have any recommendations or advice  of campsites near the city or near a train station in the Cologne area. 

Cheers  

Edited by stocky

2 hours ago, TA-West Germany said:

Possible yes but as posted somewhere else, with the 49€ ticket you can only use RE/RB/S-Bahn/local tram buses. No ICE. As you will have to stop over a few times and those trains go slower it will take you a while. Munich - Cologne I would estimate about 8-10 hours depending on connection + a few stop overs. I would recommend to use ICE

Thanks

30 minutes ago, stocky said:

Hiya, thank you for this, do you have any recommendations or advice  of campsites near the city or near a train station in the Cologne area. 

Cheers  

There are a few camp sites on city soil. Rodenkirchen and Poll for example. Poll is one that is also heavily used when the international gamescom fair is going on. Maybe try there: https://camping-koeln.de/

13 hours ago, p gala ta said:

Hi German T A we are struggling to get accommodation on the night of the game for 4  people . We would be very grateful for any suggestions where to look .

I would try to look further outside. How about Leverkusen, Bergisch Gladbach, Dormagen, Niederkassel, Pulheim? Those are all bordering the city and you should get back there after the game. Either last or first connection. If you are fine with taking first train back you could even look for Bonn, Düren, Düsseldorf, Horrem, Langenfeld.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, csinclair said:

Hi TA West Germany, we’re staying around Wahn/Wahnheide. Is there much in the area? Is getting to and from Cologne easy enough?

Close to where I live. 😎 very easy to get to city centre by S-Bahn. Direct train to all main stations in city centre. Lines S12 and S19. Wahn/Wahnheide is bit more quiet but every neighbourhood in Cologne has at least one pub. It’s the same mentality than in Scotland: drink and talk 😁

you are well connected to centre though so good choice 

On 12/7/2023 at 10:02 PM, p gala ta said:

Hi German T A we are struggling to get accommodation on the night of the game for 4  people . We would be very grateful for any suggestions where to look .

Where are you going back to?  We're taking a 1.50am or 3.40am back to Frankfurt.

On 12/8/2023 at 11:49 AM, TA-West Germany said:

I would try to look further outside. How about Leverkusen, Bergisch Gladbach, Dormagen, Niederkassel, Pulheim? Those are all bordering the city and you should get back there after the game. Either last or first connection. If you are fine with taking first train back you could even look for Bonn, Düren, Düsseldorf, Horrem, Langenfeld.

Cheers,

Ah - does this mean you can’t get back to Bonn after the game?  That might have saved me making a big mistake. 

16 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Ah - does this mean you can’t get back to Bonn after the game?  That might have saved me making a big mistake. 

Well you can, but game is in midweek. Trains may not run every hour between 2 and 4 am but in case you have to wait for first train then you can party in old town until you go back to central station for Bonn...

1 hour ago, TA-West Germany said:

Well you can, but game is in midweek. Trains may not run every hour between 2 and 4 am but in case you have to wait for first train then you can party in old town until you go back to central station for Bonn...

Ah, I see. I think 😂

5 hours ago, tattiescone69 said:

Staying in a place called Gleuel Hürth , the 978 bus runs by the stadium . Bit west of Cologne though but we really struggled to find anywhere half decent at reasonable rates 

You're better getting to Hermülheim by bus and then take train no 18 to city centre (Neumarkt). I think that will be easier than going all the way by 978. Gleuel is a bit off as no direct trains from there but once you hit train no 18 you are good to get to centre fast.

11 minutes ago, Tartan granite said:

Do we get allocated a seat for the journey on ICE

Have you received an email with an attachment? The ticket.

It should say sitzplatz followed by WG number, which I presume to mean wagon number i.e. carriage number.

Then PL number, which I presume to be place (seat) number.

On my ticket, all of this is located on the right hand side; half way down.

Of course, you can always set up camp in the buffet car 🍺🍺🍺