Cologne F.C. Tartan Army West Germany may… - Page 2 - Scotland v Switzerland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Cologne F.C. Tartan Army West Germany may…

3 minutes ago, ChrisPro said:

I’ve got places booked as a base  in Koblenz and  Mannheim. Need to choose which one to go with. Which would you recommend? I have a hotel booked in cologne for the Wednesday night. 

I would rather go to Koblenz. Koblenz is a nice little town with some bars and some history and stuff to see. Quite close to CGN for match day. Direct train to CGN central station. Mannheim I cannot say too much about but would definitely choose Koblenz mate.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Rich NATA said:

For some reason, I always thought Wuppertal was quite a refined place.

hm 🙂 I would at least say "not completely" no... I don't live there though but generally the area Hagen/Wuppertal is not the wealthiest in this part of the country. But for a base stay totally fine. Not dangerous or so. May also be loads cheaper than the host cities.

9 hours ago, TA-West Germany said:

I would rather go to Koblenz. Koblenz is a nice little town with some bars and some history and stuff to see. Quite close to CGN for match day. Direct train to CGN central station. Mannheim I cannot say too much about but would definitely choose Koblenz mate.

45 in our group staying in Koblenz 17th -20th so it will be lively 🥳🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🍺

10 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

2 of us stopping in Cologne overnight on Wednesday 12th after the Eurostar over to Brussels then jumping on the ICE. 

Any good watering holes for a Wednesday night to get the party started? 😁🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Do old town mate. Very close to main central station 

On 12/3/2023 at 7:20 PM, TA-West Germany said:

…be able to help with questions around our group game here in CGN.

I will share more stuff within next few days.

Just post your early on questions here an I will gladly try to answer.

Cheers,

David

Hi, what are your thoughts on basing ourselves in a town called Mainz, near Frankfurt, apparently Munich is 3.5 hours away and Cologne is 1.5 hours away and Stuttgart is 1.5 hours away, cheers.

1 hour ago, Broath Boy said:

Hi, what are your thoughts on basing ourselves in a town called Mainz, near Frankfurt, apparently Munich is 3.5 hours away and Cologne is 1.5 hours away and Stuttgart is 1.5 hours away, cheers.

You would be very central between our three host cities. But Mainz as a city to my opinion not so cool. I would prefer Frankfurt 

10 minutes ago, ton1314 said:

Looks like we're on outskirts of Cologne for this game, Rodenkirchen.  Are plenty of late night / early morning trams? Or is it easy enough to grab taxis etc.

Rodenkirchen is on city soil. Line 16 will take you from/to there. From there you can get to Neumarkt in plain city centre. Normally, in midweek, trams run till about 1.15/1.30am but I suppose they will add trains for after Euros games in CGN. Not sure yet but we'll find out nearer to the tournament I think. Taxis should be an option too. Not too far from city centre so price not to crazy I would say. Don't know if they add fees for night service though

1 hour ago, gcom said:

I found this regarding Fan parks in Cologne if helpful at all. 

https://www.cologne-tourism.com/experiences-lifestyle/events/detail/uefa-euro-2024-in-cologne

Thanks for sharing. Old town was obvious. Tanzbrunnen is a new trend to get people out of packed city centre and control things a bit more. To my opinion it’s too far away from all the real action in old town and city centre. If we really bring 50k or more then old town and Tanzbrunnen will not last at all. Deutzer Werft would help. 

4 minutes ago, GroundsKeeper said:

Hi Dave, We are taking a camper van over for the 3 days. 

Can you recommend 

1. Campsites near around Colonge

2. Where we would be allowed to park that is near to stadium/ fan parks 

1. try Poller Wiesen camping site: https://camping-koeln.de/

2. I would not recommend to move around with your camper van within the city once you have booked a place your car can stay at. Public transfer will be for free with a match ticket and the distance to tram station is a 20 minute walk to your camp site. With nice weather you could even walk from camp site to city centre along the river. You'd have a nice view on the skyline of the city. If you have time and are not in a rush I would not recommend to drive within city centre by camper van.

32 minutes ago, TA-West Germany said:

1. try Poller Wiesen camping site: https://camping-koeln.de/

2. I would not recommend to move around with your camper van within the city once you have booked a place your car can stay at. Public transfer will be for free with a match ticket and the distance to tram station is a 20 minute walk to your camp site. With nice weather you could even walk from camp site to city centre along the river. You'd have a nice view on the skyline of the city. If you have time and are not in a rush I would not recommend to drive within city centre by camper van.

Danka

2 hours ago, supersub said:

@TA-West Germany

Flying Manchester to Frankfurt.

Is it easy to get train from Frankfurt to Cologne? Also, looking to stay in GE Braunsfeld/GE Ehrenfeld area of city. Is this a decent area?

Thanks

Very easy. ICE will bring you from Frankfurt airport station straight to Cologne central or Cologne Deutz. Both Braunsfeld and Ehrenfeld are nice neighbourhoods. Close to city centre. Braunsfeld quite close to stadium