Anyone planning driving? - Euro 2024 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anyone planning driving?

GSS

Is anyone planning driving over to Germany?

looking at flight options and the cheaper option for a group of 6 of us seems to be to drive over and get the ferry.

Thought about hiring a campervan but not sure if that would be to much hassle staying at campsites etc

Aye, I am. With my 2 boys...

Campervan to a base somewhere yet to be decided 

Depending on our location I'll camp on each city we visit. Or just a central base.

I also have a large 6 man tent/ awning which a few on my fellow TA friends are planning on using as a base .

I'm not sure a lot of the cheaper camper van hire options would want to let their van go to Germany from Scotland being privately owned but if they did you can get cracking 6 berths with insurance included for £90 a day 

Booked channel tunnel £120 on the wed

It's 1100 miles from my hoos tae Munich ( 2 tanx of petrol @£200.) 

The Friday night start has helped as the English won't be travelling till later ,so tunnel prices very reasonable.

campervan, so accommodation sorted.

no idea when we'll be home...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇧🇪

1 hour ago, stocky said:

Booked channel tunnel £120 on the wed

It's 1100 miles from my hoos tae Munich ( 2 tanx of petrol @£200.) 

The Friday night start has helped as the English won't be travelling till later ,so tunnel prices very reasonable.

campervan, so accommodation sorted.

no idea when we'll be home...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇧🇪

You off to Belgium 🤔

6 hours ago, Ian corb said:

I booked the ferry from Hull last night for the 10th June taking the campervan over just trying to sort campsites for each of the 3 city’s and maybe stay places a night In between each one. Any info on campsites be greatly appreciated, cheers 

I've E mailed a few campsite, but they appear to be closed for the season.

Hopefully they are checking their inboxes

32 minutes ago, stocky said:

Same done a good few 2ngt did get one about an hour outside of Munich for 3 ngt. Was called Lenggrieser Bergcamping train station 15 min walk from campsite, wee bit expensive for a campsite but I just wanted something booked

I'm driving and looking for a couple of TA to share cost. Have a micro camper with awning for companions. I will be leaving from Largs and can pick up on the way. Ferry 50 each. Approx 80 each to munich. Will bring back if you want to? Any interest?

36 minutes ago, largsal said:

I'm driving and looking for a couple of TA to share cost. Have a micro camper with awning for companions. I will be leaving from Largs and can pick up on the way. Ferry 50 each. Approx 80 each to munich. Will bring back if you want to? Any interest?

Pmd you

Driving from perth area straight after work prob thursday night for   early am channel tunnel , 8 hrs approx the other side so should get to the campsite in black forest area north of frieburg near europa park theme park. mid afternnon in time for german game (  booked months ago , for 300 quid for 7 of us)  Unfortunately draw  has not been kind as its from the 15th to 22nd . so one day late for germany game and one day early for hungary game .  Find a hotel cheap down there for the night of the german game and book in campsite the next day   Cant wait, weve decided that 300 quid tickets for the swiss game will be our limit so we will see what happens with that.   Drive south after hungary game to family in southern france for a week then enjoy  the sun there then the long 1300 mile drive home .   Cmon Scotland

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/4/2023 at 10:23 PM, stocky said:

Not sure if you had any reply’s or that but I got different campsite in Munich sorted yesterday and one in Cologne. 

I've got Munich and Cologne sorted,

A provisional (2nd choice) for Stuttgart

Still hopeful for first choice Stuttgart, but they are awaiting UEFA approval seemingly...

5 of us driving over. Ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam on the 12th and then driving to Nuremberg for an overnight before onwards to Munich. Son is in a wheelchair so easier to take his adapted car than bother about flights etc

Two camper vans going from Greenock via the Channel Tunnel. It'll be an adventure if nothing else! 

Remember driving is a Russian Roulette type gamble

A GUTTED Rangers fan was forced to scrap his road trip to Seville after his campervan broke down.

The 58-year-old started planning the European trip after being made redundant from his test and protect job at the start of the month.

But disaster struck before he even made it to the ferry in Dover, with the motorhome's fan belt snapping on the A66.

Brian had put his 1988 Ford Transit Legend, which only had 25,000 miles on the clock, through a full service before leaving Scotland so was left "gutted" he needed to call in help again.