Steve Clarke interview - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steve Clarke interview

Taylor1996

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Boring. 

Tell me why our previous THREE managers have so exasperation with our players playing in a four, that they flirted with a three at the back?

100% credit to Steve Clarke for sticking to his guns and not listening to the uninformed media or fans.

Now that is what a real manager does. Strachan and McLeish succumbed to knee-jerk reaction from the aforementioned uniformed individuals.

Just now, Taylor1996 said:

Tell me why our previous THREE managers have so exasperation with our players playing in a four, that they flirted with a three at the back?

100% credit to Steve Clarke for sticking to his guns and not listening to the uninformed media or fans.

Now that is what a real manager does. Strachan and McLeish succumbed to knee-jerk reaction from the aforementioned uniformed individuals.

What part of ‘I don’t care which formation Clarke uses as long as he is successful’ are you not getting?

I genuinely don’t care. Most people don’t. 

Just now, Texas Pete said:

What part of ‘I don’t care which formation Clarke uses as long as he is successful’ are you not getting?

I genuinely don’t care. Most people don’t. 

The "I don't care which formation Clarke uses as long as he's successful".

If that's the case, that you genuinely could not give a flying hoot which formation Steve Clarke uses, as long as he's successful, why say:

"Is your last paragraph serious? As far as I remember we have played with 3 at the back twice I’m our run to the playoff final. 

The first time we did it Israel tore us a new arse and the second time we did it we scraped past Israel on penalties. We have beaten several teams ranked above Israel with 4 at the back so we could easily have done that last month. "

If you legit don't give a hoot about formations, why say that? Why talk about formations in a thread, that is predominantly about formations, if you "genuinely don't care" about formations?

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I thought the thread was about steve clarkes interview.

It was a good interview, he comes across as a humble guy but one who commands respect. Mon Stevie, do what needs to be done and get us to the euros.

Oh. It is.

Just taking Petie to School.

Mr Clarke has my total respect and backing. 

We can definitely do this.

Edited by Taylor1996

4 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Oh. It is.

Just taking Petie to School.

Mr Clarke has my total respect and backing. 

We can definitely do this.

And you wonder why people fire abuse at you. 

You keep it up though, the rest of us are going to enjoy the build up and not worry about who was right or wrong. 

Have a good day

Edited by vanderark14

On 11/9/2020 at 2:04 PM, Taylor1996 said:

No I didn't. I have said, on humourous occasions, that we would've qualified for at least 5 of the previous 9 tournaments if we played 3-5-2.

And yes, playing with a four, we are too easy to play against, so why not throw caution to the wind. The kids couldn't do any worse in a four than the seniors.

These players, (and their previous generations) are not good enough to play with a back four. It's no coincidence that we're a match away from 2020 when we switch to a 3-5-2.

In afraid you did. I know you have twisted it in your mind because you have a weird obsession with being right on the internet - but you were going on about how bottom half EPL wasn't a good enough standard and all sorts of babble. 

But I'll humour you. What logic are you using to conclude that the youth team would compete better (or at least just as well) in a 4 but the senior team can only play better in a 3. Very bizarre and pretty insulting to the senior team to be honest. 

If we play a 4 tonight and win, do you still stand by that none of the senior players are good enough and we should have put the youth team out against Serbia?

19 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

In afraid you did. I know you have twisted it in your mind because you have a weird obsession with being right on the internet - but you were going on about how bottom half EPL wasn't a good enough standard and all sorts of babble. 

But I'll humour you. What logic are you using to conclude that the youth team would compete better (or at least just as well) in a 4 but the senior team can only play better in a 3. Very bizarre and pretty insulting to the senior team to be honest. 

If we play a 4 tonight and win, do you still stand by that none of the senior players are good enough and we should have put the youth team out against Serbia?

I did say it. Not denying it. However, I said it when it looked that Steve Clarke was going to do what his predecessors did and still to the four at the back. A system where we genuinely haven't been able to play since the 80s. He reverted to a three (to a collective grown in this place), and when it looked like he was sticking to a three, I backed Steve Clarke and my enthusiasm returned.

It was more to do with promoting the kids and development than result based. I mean, Scotland are going to struggle with a four, so you might as well throw in a few kids so that they can learn and grow, as opposed to sticking with the defenders that have failed in the past. 

No. I'll retract it.

Look. And I've said this a million times (but people don't read my entire posts, it seems). If we had two TOP quality centre backs, I'd play with a back four. Without a doubt. But we don't. We don't. We cannot play in a system of a four. And yet people have been telling me for year's, that four at the back is our best system... Even though evidence suggests otherwise.