Did Beckenbauer Ever Play In Scotland For Bayern Munich? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Did Beckenbauer Ever Play In Scotland For Bayern Munich?

I'm convinced I saw him in the 70s in a match I went to with my dad. We're a Stirling Albion family, but would go to watch bigger sides if we wanted to see star players or famous teams. I could swear I saw the Kaiser play either in a European tie, or a friendly/testimonial in either Galsgow or Edinburgh at some point in the 70s yet cannot place it.

Maier, Beckenbauer. Breitner, Roth, Hoeness and Muller all played in the game at Ibrox in 1972. All but Roth where is in starting 11 for West Germany in the 1974 World Cup Final. Six of the starting 11 for Bayern started in the Euro Champ final in 72 which Germany won 3-0 against USSR.

Edited by EddardStark

I'm convinced I saw him in the 70s in a match I went to with my dad. We're a Stirling Albion family, but would go to watch bigger sides if we wanted to see star players or famous teams. I could swear I saw the Kaiser play either in a European tie, or a friendly/testimonial in either Galsgow or Edinburgh at some point in the 70s yet cannot place it.

Although the question is about Bayern Munich, he also played at Hampden for West Germany in April 1969 (1-1).

and he also played at Pittodrie in 1982 for Hamburg - 3-2 great game

He shared a pitch with Walker McCall that evening and many believed that was the peak of Beckenbaur's career........

Euan...wee bit confused about that....the greatest 5's team ever, Boca Santos ,always had someone in the Beckenbaur roe at the back?

and he also played at Pittodrie in 1982 for Hamburg - 3-2 great game

He shared a pitch with Walker McCall that evening and many believed that was the peak of Beckenbaur's career........

Euan...wee bit confused about that....the greatest 5's team ever, Boca Santos ,always had someone in the Beckenbaur roe at the back?

canna mind the story - was there not once at 5's - there was some ex germnay player there cos he was on visit to Aberdeen, due to him being invovled in Oil Industry - thought it was you who told me this

Some of the young guys at work made me feel ancient by asking me which legendary foreigners I'd seen in the flesh. Mentioned, amongst others, Best at Hibs, Cruyff against Celtic in the early 80s, and Maradona at Hampden in 79 - who made a much bigger impression than the others. Missed Pele at Hampden in 66, although wee Billy Bremner kept him out if the match by all accounts.