RAH Ward 15 closure - Politics - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

RAH Ward 15 closure


RenfrewBlue
 Share

Recommended Posts

The announcement yesterday by Shona Robison on the closure of the children's ward at the RAH is an utter disaster on lots of levels. 

The new children's hospital is already unable to cope and just the other week had to transfer children to the RAH because of this. Now the next nearest children's hospital is Edinburgh. 

Children will die because of this decision. The excuses being touted are just disgusting. 

The fact that the staff found this out via the media shows the absolute rank hopelessness or Robison. She's out of her depth and should either be sacked or resign to hopefully let someone with a brain take over. 

I'll be contacting my MP and MSP as well as my local Councillor to point out that they have definitely lost votes because of this and they have also lost a family's worth of campaign helpers from my house. 

I won't support them if they can't support the weakest in our community. 

Raging doesn't come close. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The announcement yesterday by Shona Robison on the closure of the children's ward at the RAH is an utter disaster on lots of levels. 

The new children's hospital is already unable to cope and just the other week had to transfer children to the RAH because of this. Now the next nearest children's hospital is Edinburgh. 

Children will die because of this decision. The excuses being touted are just disgusting. 

The fact that the staff found this out via the media shows the absolute rank hopelessness or Robison. She's out of her depth and should either be sacked or resign to hopefully let someone with a brain take over. 

I'll be contacting my MP and MSP as well as my local Councillor to point out that they have definitely lost votes because of this and they have also lost a family's worth of campaign helpers from my house. 

I won't support them if they can't support the weakest in our community. 

Raging doesn't come close. 

You are clearly upset RB. To say children will die is a fairly big accusation. Why do you feel so strongly ? This is a genuine question.

I have to admit that I have not been closely following the ins an out of the arguement, I  thought the main concern for families was the travelling. The facilities at the new hospital I understand are considerably better , however it does seem strange that the ward is to close if the new hospital cant cope. Was the situation the other week unprecedented, and if not, why would they be closing the ward? I cannot believe politicians from ANY party would want to risk childrens lives. 

You and anyone else who feels there is a real risk are right to contact their Mp and Msp. This is about more than vote winning. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not looked into it however what i can gather is that a 16 bed ward has been replaced by a brand spanking new world class 256 bed hospital 2 miles away .. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was wrong - it's 6 miles and not 2

Jury on whether it's a good or bad decison is out but it wasnt a decision made by Shona Robison or the SNP - and Mhairi Black has criticised it

https://wingsoverscotland.com/absolute-fanny-of-the-week/#more-101211

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I was wrong - it's 6 miles and not 2

Jury on whether it's a good or bad decison is out but it wasnt a decision made by Shona Robison or the SNP - and Mhairi Black has criticised it

https://wingsoverscotland.com/absolute-fanny-of-the-week/#more-101211

Actually, it was Shona Robisons decision.  The health board made their recommendations and Shona Robison had the final decision.  The health board also recommended that elderly services in Glasgow be closed and moved elsewhere but she rejected these proposals on the same day.  

It's one of those issues that is going to be a sore one for those in the local area, but from what I can see the government took advice from the local health board and acted on their advice.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

The announcement yesterday by Shona Robison on the closure of the children's ward at the RAH is an utter disaster on lots of levels. 

The new children's hospital is already unable to cope and just the other week had to transfer children to the RAH because of this. Now the next nearest children's hospital is Edinburgh. 

Children will die because of this decision. The excuses being touted are just disgusting. 

The fact that the staff found this out via the media shows the absolute rank hopelessness or Robison. She's out of her depth and should either be sacked or resign to hopefully let someone with a brain take over. 

I'll be contacting my MP and MSP as well as my local Councillor to point out that they have definitely lost votes because of this and they have also lost a family's worth of campaign helpers from my house. 

I won't support them if they can't support the weakest in our community. 

Raging doesn't come close. 

So whats the ins and out’s to this, the pro’s and cons? I always get a sinking feeling when i see lads like yourself losing faith 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably wont happen but it would do Mhairi Black a great deal of good to be seen as playing a role in reversing the decision

The Unionist media are doing everything to oust such a high profile SNP MP at the next election ...same as they did with Salmond, Robertson and Nicolson

The Paisley Express, owned by the Trinity Mirror (Daily Record) have been attacking her weekly since she was elected

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

So whats the ins and out’s to this, the pro’s and cons? I always get a sinking feeling when i see lads like yourself losing faith 

On the face of it, it's an obvious decision as we've got the new fancy hospital just up the road but that's all it is. 

The new fancy hospital isn't coping. It's had to pass patients out to Ward 15 at the RAH and even Edinburgh recently and alarmingly regularly. 

There are children in the local area that need treatment quickly when required. They will die if they are transferred to Edinburgh. It's not a maybe or a possibility, it's just facts. 

The new hospital can deal with a lot more serious issues but if the less serious ones are clogging up it's beds then it won't cope. 

Shona Robison has already made a few questionable decisions since getting this job and I just don't think she is up to it. 

I'll be making my point to both Derek and Gavin but I doubt it will do any good. I just can't forgive this lack of consideration for children, especially the ones that need this service. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

On the face of it, it's an obvious decision as we've got the new fancy hospital just up the road but that's all it is. 

The new fancy hospital isn't coping. It's had to pass patients out to Ward 15 at the RAH and even Edinburgh recently and alarmingly regularly. 

There are children in the local area that need treatment quickly when required. They will die if they are transferred to Edinburgh. It's not a maybe or a possibility, it's just facts. 

The new hospital can deal with a lot more serious issues but if the less serious ones are clogging up it's beds then it won't cope. 

Shona Robison has already made a few questionable decisions since getting this job and I just don't think she is up to it. 

I'll be making my point to both Derek and Gavin but I doubt it will do any good. I just can't forgive this lack of consideration for children, especially the ones that need this service. 

I hear you, just dont lose faith, not yet anyway until you see the outcome and whether the decision whatever it may be is the right call, i had the same dilemma a while back, i did not agree with a few decisions being made,  instead of going well f### it, i decided to get more involved to insure the local party did not make such a questionable decision again.My thought was  that its my party as much as those making the decision why let them drag a party which have done brilliant things for the country in a questionable direction. 

Out of interest what would be the underlying issue be for closing a small ward like that? Money,hospital conditions access ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

 

The new fancy hospital isn't coping. It's had to pass patients out to Ward 15 at the RAH and even Edinburgh recently and alarmingly regularly. 

 

Can we see proof of this "regularity" ?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Can we see proof of this "regularity" ?

 

 

Yes. Have a look in the relevant websites. It's all public record. Or you could talk to the parents of the kids that had to go to Edinburgh. 

I hope to God that isn't required today since we've now got a heavy layer of snow and it's still coming down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I hear you, just dont lose faith, not yet anyway until you see the outcome and whether the decision whatever it may be is the right call, i had the same dilemma a while back, i did not agree with a few decisions being made,  instead of going well f### it, i decided to get more involved to insure the local party did not make such a questionable decision again.My thought was  that its my party as much as those making the decision why let them drag a party which have done brilliant things for the country in a questionable direction. 

Out of interest what would be the underlying issue be for closing a small ward like that? Money,hospital conditions access ? 

This isn't the first major feck up by the SNP, obviously just in my opinion. I cannot agree with the release of the PanAm bomber and that was why I joined the party. 

Sadly the direction they are going in is not the one I agree with. 

Not really sure how to quantify the "rules" for closing a ward but the first must be risk to lives. Cost is way down my list of priorities and I'm happy to pay more tax to back up these sorts of decisions. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

This isn't the first major feck up by the SNP, obviously just in my opinion. I cannot agree with the release of the PanAm bomber and that was why I joined the party. 

Sadly the direction they are going in is not the one I agree with. 

Not really sure how to quantify the "rules" for closing a ward but the first must be risk to lives. Cost is way down my list of priorities and I'm happy to pay more tax to back up these sorts of decisions. 

 

You do know any Scottish Government has to work with the budget it is given by Westminster and how those budgets have been cut ?

#BetterTogether

And ive searched the web for New Childrens Hospital not coping etc and cant find anything

If this was recent and commonplace i'm sure Scottish Labour would be all over it

Edited by Ally Bongo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

You do know any Scottish Government has to work with the budget it is given by Westminster and how those budgets have been cut ?

#BetterTogether

And ive searched the web for New Childrens Hospital not coping etc and cant find anything

If this was recent and commonplace i'm sure Scottish Labour would be all over it

I fully understand how the Barnett formula works and how the cuts South of the Border impact here, however as I said I don't think money should be a key driver in this decision.

How much is a child's life worth to you? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

How much is a child's life worth to you? 

Get yersel tae fvck with that pish !

NHSGGC Board members voted 20 votes to 7 to deliver paediatric in patient care for children from the RHC instead of RAH

RAH is an out dated 16 bed Unit

RHC is a brand new 256 bed unit 17 minutes away from the RAH

As far as i'm aware there will still be out patient facilities at RAH

I still cant find anything proving that the RHC is constantly unable to cope with sick kids and is continually having to send them to the RAH or Edinburgh

If that was true why would clinical experts (not the SNP) vote the way they did 20 to 7 ?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just an observation... Last night when Ally Bongo thought it wasn't an SNP decision, the jury was out on whether it was a good or bad decision. Since he realised the decision was Shona Robisons it's now a no brainer. He was more interested in establishing that there was no SNP blame than on whether it was the right decision or not. Funny that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Scunnered said:

Just an observation... Last night when Ally Bongo thought it wasn't an SNP decision, the jury was out on whether it was a good or bad decision. Since he realised the decision was Shona Robisons it's now a no brainer. He was more interested in establishing that there was no SNP blame than on whether it was the right decision or not. Funny that.

Shite

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Behave yer self ally it’s obviously somthing renfrew cares about so you cant blame him for being against it, in the grand scale of thing i see where you are coming from however renfrew is entitled to be pissed, i would actually say more members of the snp should stand up when they dont agree with specific party policies, it save the party from going in the wrong direction IMO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

Just an observation... Last night when Ally Bongo thought it wasn't an SNP decision, the jury was out on whether it was a good or bad decision. Since he realised the decision was Shona Robisons it's now a no brainer. He was more interested in establishing that there was no SNP blame than on whether it was the right decision or not. Funny that.

 

31 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

NHSGGC Board members voted 20 votes to 7 to deliver paediatric in patient care for children from the RHC instead of RAH

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Scunnered said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make Ally?

Unlike many i am surprisingly not trying to make a political point  - nor am i questioning how much a child's life is worth to you or anyone

And thats my last word on it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Unlike many i am surprisingly not trying to make a political point  - nor am i questioning how much a child's life is worth to you or anyone

And thats my last word on it

You appear to be pointing to the health board vote... I'm assuming you're still trying to display that it wasn't an SNP decision. The final decision lay with Robison, the health board also voted to move elderly services in Glasgow on the same day, Robison rejected their vote... Cos it was her final decision.

Hope this helps Chick! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

You appear to be pointing to the health board vote... I'm assuming you're still trying to display that it wasn't an SNP decision. The final decision lay with Robison, the health board also voted to move elderly services in Glasgow on the same day, Robison rejected their vote... Cos it was her final decision.

Hope this helps Chick! :)

It wasnt just moving elderly services - it was closing a hospital 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Get yersel tae fvck with that pish !

NHSGGC Board members voted 20 votes to 7 to deliver paediatric in patient care for children from the RHC instead of RAH

RAH is an out dated 16 bed Unit

RHC is a brand new 256 bed unit 17 minutes away from the RAH

As far as i'm aware there will still be out patient facilities at RAH

I still cant find anything proving that the RHC is constantly unable to cope with sick kids and is continually having to send them to the RAH or Edinburgh

If that was true why would clinical experts (not the SNP) vote the way they did 20 to 7 ?

 

 

Any clinical expert on that panel will be cognisant of the budgetary impact of any vote. Their vote was already influenced by the budget not being large enough to keep the RAH. 

And if you can't cope with the way the normal person in the street thinks then you shouldn't try and argue the toss. 

That is how folk in the local area see this decision. 

Robison is a halfwit. She's already said she doesn't have a problem with the cost of children's football in this country and now this. 

She's a bad news story for the SNP. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...