FA Cup next weekend. - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

FA Cup next weekend.

8 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Just checked back on Lincoln's previous history. They got to the last 16 in 1886/87. Only to lose to Rangers 3-0. We went on the lose to Villa in the semi final.

I thought you had been drinking when I read this. 

I had no idea that Scottish and Irish teams had played in the Fa cup,I assume because there wasn't much teams up here and over there?

Or did it start off as a British cup?

2 hours ago, dandydunn said:

I thought you had been drinking when I read this. 

I had no idea that Scottish and Irish teams had played in the Fa cup,I assume because there wasn't much teams up here and over there?

Or did it start off as a British cup?

No it was an English competition but a few Scots sides were invited to participate. Mainly Queen's Park originally but later Third Lanark, Hearts, Rangers & Partick.

Due to the difficulties of travel, Queens' Park, who were by far Scotland's most successful team, withdrew each year for something like 7 competitions?

They reached the FA Cup final twice but were beaten by Blackburn.

The year that Eddard's referring to when Rangers reached the Semi Finals, the Jags got to the 5th Round. I think that was the year Welsh & Northern Irish clubs entered, but after that it was English & Welsh only?

7 minutes ago, silverbear said:

No it was an English competition but a few Scots sides were invited to participate. Mainly Queen's Park originally but later Third Lanark, Hearts, Rangers & Partick.

Due to the difficulties of travel, Queens' Park, who were by far Scotland's most successful team, withdrew each year for something like 7 competitions?

The year that Eddard's referring to when Rangers reached the Semi Finals, the Jags got to the 5th Round. I think that was the year Welsh & Northern Irish clubs entered, but after that it was English & Welsh only?

was there a Scottish cup at the time?

10 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

was there a Scottish cup at the time?

I think the Scottish Cup started about the same time, perhaps 2 or 3yrs later?

Most Scots teams were given byes at first due to travelling & there was a lot of withdrawals due to travelling difficulties, possibly even fixture clashes if the two competitions were running simultaneously.

Just looked it up - FA Cup began around 1871/2 & the Scottish Cup in 1873/4.

1 hour ago, silverbear said:

Every days a school day. 

Cheers. 

Did any Scottish team ever win it? I could google,but I'm lazy. 

10 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Every days a school day. 

Cheers. 

Did any Scottish team ever win it? I could google,but I'm lazy. 

No Scottish team ever did. The only non-English winners are Cardiff City.

The most interesting story (for me) from the early days of the cup is Blackburn Olympic. Prior to them winning it, football such as it was had been dominated by 'old school network' gentleman's teams (Old Etonians, Old Carthusians, The Wanderers, etc.). Blackburn Olympic was a team of factory workers who beat Old Etonians in the 1883 final and were promptly accused of cheating. Their crime was that they trained, meaning they were fitter, and passed the ball as a team, a highly ungentlemanly act.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/37-As-good-as-it-got/1229-blackburn-olympic-1883

Edited by Huddersfield

I heard the fact about Rangers on a commentary, they mentioned, "last time they reached this phase they were beaten by Glasgow Rangers"

which I thought was funny, but had been aware Queen's Park had played in it.