I Hope Strachen Stays - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I Hope Strachen Stays

bonny78

I am 100% behind Strachan with the Scottish managers job. I do agree that sometimes tactically maybe a little cautious and to combat this Here is my tuppensworth. Why doesn't Strachan get a little advice from the man he knows best in Alex Ferguson I mean they must know each other inside out Aberdeen and Man Utd what harm would it do? I could never see Fergie hamper his record at Man Utd and manage Scotland but maybe in the background with all the knowledge he has maybe not Internationally (teams wise) but managerial wise in general he could be a positive aspect for WGS? Hope Strachan stays and the team give 100% nothing more can be asked for

I am 100% behind Strachan with the Scottish managers job. I do agree that sometimes tactically maybe a little cautious and to combat this Here is my tuppensworth. Why doesn't Strachan get a little advice from the man he knows best in Alex Ferguson I mean they must know each other inside out Aberdeen and Man Utd what harm would it do? I could never see Fergie hamper his record at Man Utd and manage Scotland but maybe in the background with all the knowledge he has maybe not Internationally (teams wise) but managerial wise in general he could be a positive aspect for WGS? Hope Strachan stays and the team give 100% nothing more can be asked for

Also 100% behind Strachan but cannot see him and Fergie working together - they just do not get on. Cannot see any new manager getting much more out of the players we have available nor finding any new players in short term to make a major difference. We DO however need to:

Stop conceding daft early goals

Concentrate for 90 + minutes

Stop conceding daft late goals

Play with belief for 90+ minutes

Stop conceding daft goals

Stop conceding goals

Start scoring more goals especially when we dominate games

Dominate games

Dominate more games

Attack more from midfield

Attack more

Score more goals

Here's the reality. We are the 4th best team in our group. Germany world champions. We can only dream of having some of the quality poland have. We all sneered at ireland when we beat them at Celtic park, but look at the facts... they have a far better defence, Mccarthy and mcgeady would walk into our team (let's not go there) and I'd take any of Keane, Walters or Long over Fletcher. Strachan did well to make us competitive and this talk of him being cautious is nonsense. If anything I feel he needs to be more so to address our defensive frailties. No one could do a better job. Strachan must stay!

Here's the reality. We are the 4th best team in our group. Germany world champions. We can only dream of having some of the quality poland have. We all sneered at ireland when we beat them at Celtic park, but look at the facts... they have a far better defence, Mccarthy and mcgeady would walk into our team (let's not go there) and I'd take any of Keane, Walters or Long over Fletcher. Strachan did well to make us competitive and this talk of him being cautious is nonsense. If anything I feel he needs to be more so to address our defensive frailties. No one could do a better job. Strachan must stay!

I prefer Fletcher over the 3 Irish lads you mention - especially given our style of play.

I'd prefer Strachan to stay, despite the last four matches think he deserves another chance to put it right for the next campaign and we need stability. However, if he chooses to walk I won't be too upset either, my only worry is we'll go down the route of which Scot wants the job and is a cheap option rather than go for the best man for the job. The sooner we broaden our horizons and think outside the box the better, not every foreign manager is a Berti Vogts, the fact we snubbed Lagerback for Levein still annoys me.

Fair enough mate, but I don't think many would agree, but I might be wrong. I get that Fletcher has some good link up play at times, but his lack of mobility is a huge draw back IMO.

Great to read all the different opinions and of course, yours and mine are as valid as the next man's. However, I take it that we are talking about Steven Fletcher here?. In contrast to your view, I think he has good mobility! I have to say though that tonight would have been a great opportunity to try Griffiths and /or Rhodes again but given their withdrawals, hope to see Russell play well. Strachan has not got much left to choose from and, talking of mobility or lack of, he is likely to give Chris Martin a part game. Now his mobility is not the best I think you may agree.

Strachan should be given the next campaign if he really wants it. I would hope he would learn from his mistakes as it is obvious he has been too loyal to certain players. The style of play has also been too rigid. We are setup to press and counter attack and this saw some spectacular results initially, particularly away from home. Yet this campaign we have yet to win a game away from Scotland. Teams have sussed us out and we have found no plan b. Although their is not a huge amount of talent waiting to come in I would hope the likes of Paterson,McGhee,Christie and Mclean are given the chance to establish themselves for the next campaign. Perhaps he could also change the dynamic of his backroom ream to freshen things up a bit.

Yes, steven. I think he lacks pace compared to Walters or Long and is too easy to mark. If you play up front on your own you need to be able to occupy a defence and I just don't think fletcher does that nearly as well as Kenny miller used to.

Fair point re Fletcher/Miller comparison. I appreciate that your original post was bemoaning Fletcher's lack of ability compared to walters, Long and keane, but who would you play up front from what we have available? I don't mean just tonight, I mean going forward. IMO we should should keep Fletcher with Naisy supporting, but, at risk of labouring point, still think Russell could do a job. As stated earlier, I want to see Rhodes and Griffiths given a proper chance, but Rhodes will be unlikely in the games against 'better' opposition as I do not think he is best lone striker option. WGS will keep Chris Martin in squad as a substitute for when lone striker's legs stop working.

Fair point re Fletcher/Miller comparison. I appreciate that your original post was bemoaning Fletcher's lack of ability compared to walters, Long and keane, but who would you play up front from what we have available? I don't mean just tonight, I mean going forward. IMO we should should keep Fletcher with Naisy supporting, but, at risk of labouring point, still think Russell could do a job. As stated earlier, I want to see Rhodes and Griffiths given a proper chance, but Rhodes will be unlikely in the games against 'better' opposition as I do not think he is best lone striker option. WGS will keep Chris Martin in squad as a substitute for when lone striker's legs stop working.

I would agree with that but I am now at the point when I want us to try something different. If that is with two strikers up front the so be it. Rhodes or Griffiths won't cut it as lone strikers but lets see how they do alongside Fletcher. That is what I think we need to do now. The lone striker served us well at first but now we need to move on and try something else in my opinion.

Strachan should be given the next campaign if he really wants it. I would hope he would learn from his mistakes as it is obvious he has been too loyal to certain players. The style of play has also been too rigid. We are setup to press and counter attack and this saw some spectacular results initially, particularly away from home. Yet this campaign we have yet to win a game away from Scotland. Teams have sussed us out and we have found no plan b. Although their is not a huge amount of talent waiting to come in I would hope the likes of Paterson,McGhee,Christie and Mclean are given the chance to establish themselves for the next campaign. Perhaps he could also change the dynamic of his backroom ream to freshen things up a bit.

Agree re keeping WGS and 'freshening up' backroom staff. I am not a big fan of Mark McGhee and I maybe wrong in accrediting the success of some of our set plays to McCall but nevertheless would like him to stay. Suspect from media gossip that both McGhee and McCall will be in club football soon anyway.

I would agree with that but I am now at the point when I want us to try something different. If that is with two strikers up front the so be it. Rhodes or Griffiths won't cut it as lone strikers but lets see how they do alongside Fletcher. That is what I think we need to do now. The lone striker served us well at first but now we need to move on and try something else in my opinion.

Griffiths and Fletcher paired up front would be worth a try in the friendlies I assume will be coming up. Have we got anything arranged for the EURO 16 play-off match days? can't believe I just wrote 'match days'. What next, 'soccer?' ............FFS!!!!!!

Griffiths and Fletcher paired up front would be worth a try in the friendlies I assume will be coming up. Have we got anything arranged for the EURO 16 play-off match days? can't believe I just wrote 'match days'. What next, 'soccer?' ............FFS!!!!!!

Of course we haven't got anything arranged. We have only just found out we will not be in the play offs. Time to go.....