Trains - Page 2 - France v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Trains

Dalgety Bay TA

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, wanderer said:

On the 11:09 train from Luxembourg to Metz on the Friday (in for 11:52).

Will book train tickets for Metz - Basel when they go on sale over the weekend.

Are there cheap advanced tickets on the route? I was planning on just picking one up at the station.

6 minutes ago, deecie said:

Are there cheap advanced tickets on the route? I was planning on just picking one up at the station.

Luxembourg to Metz?

Seems to be a mixture of high speed and regional trains throughout the day. Price for high speed train seemed not to bad I felt (probably could have walked up on the day).

For the Basel route there does not seem to be much in the way of cheap fares for a train that gets you in on time, but got one I will be aiming to book when it goes on sale (as prices do seem high for that)

Am I missing something? When I type in for the Lux-Metz trains in the Saturday to the Sunday they are unavailable. Is that just because I have to wait until this Sunday before I can book a return?

Also, if I pre buy how strict are they, for example if my flight is late, or we get to the train station early, can we just jump on another train, or do we have to get tickets reissued?

Cheers

J

1 minute ago, Bristolhibby said:

Am I missing something? When I type in for the Lux-Metz trains in the Saturday to the Sunday they are unavailable. Is that just because I have to wait until this Sunday before I can book a return?

Also, if I pre buy how strict are they, for example if my flight is late, or we get to the train station early, can we just jump on another train, or do we have to get tickets reissued?

Cheers

J

You can only buy up to 04/06 at the moment so you cant book the return until tomorrow (providing you are using SCNF website?)

No idea regarding how strict they are with delays etc.. I have given myself 3 hours to get from CDG --> GDN --> Paris Est for my train to Metz to be sure.

6 minutes ago, Mazziessc said:

Brussels to Metz £40 single?

Anyway to bring this doon?

Looking at going via Luxembourg or Loraine hardly drops anything off that (£30 Brussels - Lux/Lor, then back up to £40 when you add on the onward train to Metz)

Edited by wanderer

4 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Looking at going via Luxembourg or Loraine hardly drops anything off that (£30 Brussels - Lux/Lor, then back up to £40 when you add on the onward train to Metz)

Yea appears to be the first leg thats expensive, car share it is.

1 minute ago, Mazziessc said:

Yea appears to be the first leg thats expensive, car share it is.

Even to get a morning train down to Paris and a onward train much later in the day still only knocks a couple of pounds off it.... and its effectively taking the long way round just to save a £1 or 2 (hardly worth it!)

1 minute ago, The Laud said:

are you guys getting your tickets sent to you.trying to get paris est to metz but if i want to pick up tickets at station its only allowing pick up in belgium or netherlands.^?^

Dont go through trainline europe website. Go through the SCNF website and you get the option to print them at home

14 hours ago, deecie said:

Aye, LUX-Metz.

Seems very reasonable - somehow both cheaper and quicker than the bus.

Think we are getting the 13:09 on the Saturday, returning on the 12:04 Sunday lunchtime

On 03/03/2016 at 4:38 PM, Letherby said:

Looking for a bit of advice from anyone that knows about transfer times from the airport.  I get in to Charles de Gaulle at 1150 from Glasgow on the day of the game.  There's a TGV from Paris Est to Metz at 1340 - will that be enough time to make the Metz TGV?  I know it's about half an hour on the train from the airport to Paris Nord but I don't know how long it takes to get out the airport, to the airport train station, walk between stations in Paris city centre, etc. If it's a bit tight I'll book the next TGV and find a pub for an hour and a half.

Hey Letherby

Your probably sorted and I am replying a bit late in the day but you can get direct train from CDG to Metz. It does include a bus from Lorraine, but it is not too much dearer and probably works out cheaper (and quicker) than waiting for train to Paris Nord etc. There seems to be one around an hour after your flight lands - 1 hr 10 mins train to Lorraine, then 30 minute bus journey to Metz - all included on one ticket. Should get you there at 2:40'ish. Probably time for a beer before the train.....you will certainly get one on the train.

Looking like around 39 euros single just now - not sure about returns, but then you will have more time and could consider the Metz - Paris Est - CDG option for this.

Bon voyage!