Marrying abroad - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Marrying abroad

Looking for anyone that has done this before,we are getting married in September in Cyprus,got about 18 guests coming over and having a function when we return. 

What we have been thinking about recently is what to do in the evening. 

Get married at 3pm,photos after that,then we have a beach grill sorted to feed everyone. 

Mince all this is done,it will still be relatively early and we are in 2 minds whether to book a private place for just all of us,or just relax and enjoy the surroundings and all chill out together. 

The numbers don't seem big enough to justify booking a room for the evening,so just wondered if anyone else has done this/been to one. 

I just know the tamb will have some helpful advice. :ok:

11 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Tough one on the timings. We got married in Greece in 2008 and had the ceremony about 12 noon (air con town hall) then a lunch buffet overlooking the sea. Gave everyone 'siesta' time for about 5 hours before heading to a taverna about 8pm for a meze meal, cake-cutting and some speeches, then dancing until about 1am. Yammas !:cheers3:

That sounds perfect :ok:

2 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Tough one on the timings. We got married in Greece in 2008 and had the ceremony about 12 noon (air con town hall) then a lunch buffet overlooking the sea. Gave everyone 'siesta' time for about 5 hours before heading to a taverna about 8pm for a meze meal, cake-cutting and some speeches, then dancing until about 1am. Yammas !:cheers3:

We didn't have much choice with the timings to be honest. 

They wanted it earlier,but the missus put her foot down for the heat. 

Mots in a pier also,so still be pretty hot with the kilt on :yikes3:

2 hours ago, Angus_Young said:

You been to Cyprus? Will still be roasting at 3pm mate :D

Where are you going anyway? Paphos?

Never been. Limassol is where we're heading. Hopefully have some decent shelter from the heat,just have to wait and see I suppose. 

such as this 

http://www.cyprusembassy.net/home/index.php?module=page&cid=1045

(c) The interested persons should also furnish an official certificate indicating that they are not married. If however the Marriage Officer has any doubt about the accuracy or genuineness of the certificate furnished by the interested persons, or if the interested persons are unable to produce such an official document (like British citizens) they will be called upon to make a sworn declaration before the Registrar of a District Court that they are single and have never been married before. However divorcees have to present the “Decree Absolute” of their dissolved marriage and widows /ers have to present the “Certificate of Death” of their late partner. Also they both have to make a declaration on oath (affidavit) that they have never been married again since then.

In South Africa they were asking me for a letter of impediment from British Embassy confirming i was not married - luckilly Brit Embassy wont issue these, so i got away with signing an affadavit at local police station, and police officers sign this off, saying they witnessed signature - there was a load of shit we found out about last minute and got stuff done in 2 days folk struggled to close out in 2-3 months - Home Affairs visits, interviews,

Edited by euan2020

My missus was a bridesmaid at her cousin's wedding in Nissi Beach in Cyprus and it cost us 3 and a half grand for 10 days just to get there and back and stay in the same hotel as everyone else. I hope you're not enforcing similar on your guests...

The evening was a bit of a let down to be honest when we had a carvery and the music consisted of an iPod and dodgy speakers, although the drunken en masse run down the beach and into the sea was great fun so do that!

8 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

My missus was a bridesmaid at her cousin's wedding in Nissi Beach in Cyprus and it cost us 3 and a half grand for 10 days just to get there and back and stay in the same hotel as everyone else. I hope you're not enforcing similar on your guests...

The evening was a bit of a let down to be honest when we had a carvery and the music consisted of an iPod and dodgy speakers, although the drunken en masse run down the beach and into the sea was great fun so do that!

Everyone is coming out and leaving according to their own circumstances. We advised everyone this is what we were doing and would love them to be there,but understand it's a lot of money for a few days away. 

Thats exactly the issue that we're having with the evening,just have no idea what to do with it tbh. 

I'll give my pal a shout for you. He was stationed there for a while with the RAF. The Base in close to Limassol, so he will maybe have a few ideas for you. 

I was over 4 times and didn't go to Limassol once. Always opted for Paphos, or Aya Napa.  

You'll love it mate. Beautiful place. 

Not sure if its the case for Cyprus, but when me and the Mrs got married in 2006 I had to get my birth certificate authenticated.

Found this out pretty late in the day. You can do it by post, but takes up to 16 days, or the only other alternative (at the time) was to go down to London and get it authenticated there (a Government building near Trafalgar Square).... was a complete nightmare as I showed up just as they opened, took a number (something like 2085ish) looked at the screen and they were only at number 80 odd...... 6 hours later finally served and told to come back in 3 hours time to pick up my document!

11 hours ago, thewolf_1980 said:

We went to a wedding there too, but stayed in a different hotel to the wedding.

It was the first of our friends to get married, so was all couples with no kids or single folk, so everyone just made it their summer holiday. It was a dear holiday by our standards! I'm sure our week in Kavos the year before was less than £200 :lol:

Anyway, the evening was a great laugh, after the service, meal and speeches, photos and all the rest, I'm pretty sure we just sat and got wrecked listening to an iPod. One of the best men DJ'd for a bit IIRC, but we had to stop as there was a singer on, might have been at another wedding? Just remember him taking dogs abuse and being labelled "Billy Ray Cyprus".