Democracy - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Democracy

What we have in Scotland is not in my opinion proper democracy. To have a proper democracy there needs to be balance in the media, and that we clearly do not have. Were the media more balanced, Yes would be well ahead in this campaign. Even in general elections there is a semblance of balance, but this referendum campaign has been characterised by lie after lie after lie being taken up and propagated by almost all the mainstream media, with any stories positive for Yes being ignored or buried - the lack of coverage of Yes rallies and the use of photos that downplay the number of people at them is just one facet.

If No wins, they will have won by cheating.

Im not comfortable with calling it cheating but Im finding it hard to find another word for it. Manipulation definitely.

The media have been disgusting and while I bought the odd paper before, you wont find me buying another again soon. And I actively encourage others to stop too so they are only hurting themselves in the long term. Have no respect for them at all and I'll continue to tell them that regardless of the result tomorrow.

Tell you what, if the vote is anything other than very close the media and the survey companies have a lot of explaining to do. If say yes did win it by 5% then what we have seen lately is a complete disgrace. we shall see what happens tomorrow, but lots of independent opinion saying its looking more and more like a yes but this has not been reflected by media or pollsters.

edit to say : I would take a win by 0.5% !!

Edited by ShedTA

Outside of the expected extremes (Mail, Express etc.) and certainly on TV I'm noticing a much more balanced coverage this week. Channel 4 News and Newsnight in particular have been excellent.

The media onslaught was to be expected given what's at stake for the British establishment, going back to the thread title of democracy, I genuinely think this is the most important vote in British political history. Never have the people been afforded such power to make a change...

Agreed, far more balanced now.

I think the purported bias on really came in after that poll that said YES was ahead.

I am still waiting on Salmond coming out today with the clincher, something that just pushes enough Undecideds over to us.

Agreed, I am still waiting for an Ace to come out. not sure what but maybe a major constitutional announcement - i am not sure. At this stage it may be a risky approach.

In my 30 years on the planet it is the first time i've ever seen a full nation engrossed in politics and being at the forefront of democracy. If we dont get a yes vote which several million of us want then I hope that what we can do is change the political landscape and move on. In a world of Social Media and technology at our fingertips I've gotten a real sense that so many people are feeling more empowerred than ever and have a belief that we can make change.

I also hope if it goes No we'll have the choice to have our future in our own hands and break free of an institutionalised state ran by global corporations funding millionaire politicians and westminister controlled Media.

ITS STILL NOT TO LATE TO PERSUADE SOMEONE. EVERY SINGLE YES VOTER NEEDS TO KEEP GOING UNTIL 10~M TOMORROW NIGHT

SAOR ALBA