Armistice Day Is Match Day. - Page 3 - England v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Armistice Day Is Match Day.

cowden soldier

Did the SFA not want to mark the 11th a few years ago in Cyprus & UEFA said no.

shirts

Did we not just have armbands with poppies on them.

Correct, they originally wanted have poppies embroidered on the shirts as a lot of clubs were doing at the time and then auction them off to PoppyScotland.

It may be the same time that JD Sports were doing commemorative replica shirts with poppies on them. First of all they said that for each shirt sold a donation would be made to the British Legion, they were pulled up about that as the appeal in Scotland is through Poppy Scotland. Then they had the "English" poppy on the shirts rather than the Poppy Scotland one.

I don't think they sold many, I've never seen one in the flesh.

It was Subside Sports and it was two years earlier in 2009.

http://www.tartanarmy.net/blog/2009/04/26/scotland-home-shirt-with-british-forces-patch/

Edited by aaid

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct, they originally wanted have poppies embroidered on the shirts as a lot of clubs were doing at the time and then auction them off to PoppyScotland.

It may be the same time that JD Sports were doing commemorative replica shirts with poppies on them. First of all they said that for each shirt sold a donation would be made to the British Legion, they were pulled up about that as the appeal in Scotland is through Poppy Scotland. Then they had the "English" poppy on the shirts rather than the Poppy Scotland one.

I don't think they sold many, I've never seen one in the flesh.

It was Subside Sports and it was two years earlier in 2009.

http://www.tartanarmy.net/blog/2009/04/26/scotland-home-shirt-with-british-forces-patch/

Another example of how football can be complicated by politics.

I'd expect to see:

• British Legion poppy collection outside the ground
  • Members of the Armed Forces holding the flags before the game
  • Possibly poppies on the shirts (seeing as it's England and Scotland playing)
  • Probably a minutes silence before KO

And if FIFA have a sense of humour........a German referee!

Edited by neilypiece