Dortmund Trip - Flight Options? - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dortmund Trip - Flight Options?

I learned a long time ago, you need to do your homework when travelling; don't assume whatever you're looking for is going to fall into your lap.

Whichever city it is, whatever you're looking for is probably there, but places like Dortmund and Kaunas will make you work for it.

P.S. Has the National Football Museum opened in Dortmund, yet? It was being built across from the Hauptbahnhof when Scotland were last there.

choosing Dortmund over Cologne/Düsseldorf is like choosing to stay in Livingston when you have Edinburgh just a few train stops away and Glasgow just slightly further afield....

Nice enough place, but your first impressions of the place will not be all that good.

nothing wrong with Dortmund but loads of places around it that imo are substantially better.

Agree with this, too.

Had a cracking night in Dortmund when we went up for the boxing that never was: Haye v Klitschko in Gelsenkirchen. Well, until I jumped on a BMW mountain bike (which for some reason was in a club that was attached to our hotel), and, convinced that there was some sort of contest decided to race my heart out - my heart that was already beating through my chest thanks to all the red bull I'd put away - it wasn't a contest, was just a promo thing they were doing. One of the worst decisions alcohol has made me make.

Best flight options from Edinburgh IMO are Germanwings to Cologne (direct) or KLM to Dusseldorf (indirect - but good times)

We went over last week for the boxing that got cancelled, we stayed in Dusseldorf & on the saturday we went through to Leverkusen to see them play Stuttgart (our tickets were 29 euros inc train travel). We got tickets downloaded directly from Bayer 04's website. There's a cracking wee sports bar in the Bayarena so it's worth getting there earlier & having a beer/food.

On the sunday we went through to Dortmund on the train & whilst the match atmosphere was good, the main square was dead but a good pub option is the Their Brauerei for food/beer - we got tickets from Viagogo, so couldn't use them for free train travel but if you go here

you'll get a train ticket for 40 euros + 3 euros for each other person (so we paid 52 euros for 4 of us) that lets you travel all over Germany.

We had a brilliant time, the first game was 4-3 to Bayer 04 (after they were 3-1 down) & the second was 5-1 to Dortmund - only downside the whole weekend was some of the folk over for the boxing were getting a bit 'pwoppa naughty' as Danny Dyer would say (wanting to fight German guys etc). We never had any bother though.

Have a great time!