Car Park Incident - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

My Dad who is 83 goes to Sainsbury's every Wednesday and uses their car park

Had the Police at the door tonight saying a woman had reported that my Dad's car had left a scratch on hers last Wednesday (a week ago)

This was the first i had heard about it. He hadnt said anything which he would have if it had been significant

He said to the Police that he was reversing out of a tight angle because of the way someone else had parked next to him and his bumper did slightly bump the car on the other side.

He got out and checked and there was no damage whatsoever to either car - and there were a couple of other people who were there that confirmed this (he didnt get their names)

The Police said they had checked his car in the drive before they chapped the door and agreed there is no mark on his.

The Police said that the woman had a witness but said it was between the 2 insurance companies although they would talk to the other witness

Anyone else had something similar ?

Should he phone his insurance company to tell them to expect a claim ?

For this kind of issue the pepipoo website is a mine of information. There are hundreds of similar cases on there as it's fairly common. He needs to be careful because he has committed an offence by driving off so could run into problems with the insurers.

Stick it on there as a new case though & you'll get solid advice from experts.

Seems the other woman driver has already made up their mind that they are making a claim.

I would forget about it until your dads insurance company contacts him for his side of the story. Then he can explain his side of the story. Their car wasn't damaged, mine isn't damaged. Let the insurance companies argue over it. Thats what you pay them for. Point out the police inspected his car and it's not damaged.

I would hope the police would go back to the other driver and explain the situation. Are they going to risk losing NCD and have a claim on their record for the sake of a 'scratch'?

Cheers lads

Have had a look on Pepipoo

As the Police said it will be between the two insurance companies so cant see any charges of driving away from the scene of an offence - his defence being there was no damage so no obligation

I'll tell him to phone his insurance company tomorrow and to let them know a claim is likely that he refutes

The annoying thing is that it will probably dent his confidence

Cheers lads

As the Police said it will be between the two insurance companies so cant see any charges of driving away from the scene of an offence - his defence being there was no damage so no obligation

I'll tell him to phone his insurance company tomorrow and to let them know a claim is likely that he refutes

Can't be absolutely sure about Scotland but certainly in England a supermarket car park is a private land and the cops have no interest. Just a civil matter between two individuals. i would have thought that your dad might be better getting his story in early.

Can't be absolutely sure about Scotland but certainly in England a supermarket car park is a private land and the cops have no interest. Just a civil matter between two individuals. i would have thought that your dad might be better getting his story in early.

Where I live the car parks around the big supermarkets are council owned, probably the same where Ally lives.

Thanks Andy

Aye the Police saying it will be between the insurance companies seems they are not that interested - hope it stays that way

Ill get him to phone tomorrow

Where I live the car parks around the big supermarkets are council owned, probably the same where Ally lives.

Which would be different. Still not sure that turns it into a public highway but I guess the owners decide the rules.

Cheers lads

Be very careful about phoning his insurance company. As soon as you phone some of these companies will count it as a claim which will affect his NCD next year. Make sure he is very, VERY, specific to tell them that he is NOT (and repeat this to make sure they know) making a claim. They can be very sneaky about this.

Be very careful about phoning his insurance company. As soon as you phone some of these companies will count it as a claim which will affect his NCD next year. Make sure he is very, VERY, specific to tell them that he is NOT (and repeat this to make sure they know) making a claim. They can be very sneaky about this.

:ok:

Absolute bollox. Inform Insurers immediately. If it all goes tits up, and summons are flying about you have phuqq all. You can always withdraw a claim (which negates NCD).

Yep this. They added £50 on to the initial quote to add me to my dads insurance as I had a bump last year and even though no claim was made they count it. I would have been as well just not informing them since the other guy never claimed but I wasn't to know that at the time. Didn't effect my NCD jst put another £50 on the insurance.

Absolute bollox. Inform Insurers immediately. If it all goes tits up, and summons are flying about you have phuqq all. You can always withdraw a claim (which negates NCD).

It will depend on the policy of the insurance company but some of them register it as a claim as soon as you phone the claims dept. You have to be very specific and make sure that they know you do NOT want it registered as a claim. Trust me, it could cost you money. If possible, do it by email so that you have a record of of what was actually said. They will do anything to screw you for a few extra bob.

It will depend on the policy of the insurance company but some of them register it as a claim as soon as you phone the claims dept. You have to be very specific and make sure that they know you do NOT want it registered as a claim. Trust me, it could cost you money. If possible, do it by email so that you have a record of of what was actually said. They will do anything to screw you for a few extra bob.

Listen, shorty. I have spent 20 years in insurance. Ally will be kept right.

Listen, shorty. I have spent 20 years in insurance. Ally will be kept right.

I'm no a baldy, honest. Well no totally bald anyway. And dinae get shorty wi me, or I'll get the polis ontae you. :lol:

I don't trust anybody in insurance . Making money out of other folks misery. :wink2:

I'm no a baldy, honest. Well no totally bald anyway. And dinae get shorty wi me, or I'll get the polis ontae you. :lol:

I don't trust anybody in insurance . Making money out of other folks misery. :wink2:

:lol:

I agree, but take that up wi Endell.

I am a claims guy, just trying to help Ally oot.

My grandad drove well into his eighties. Had a number of little bumps but the only thing that was ever dented was other people's cars! So hopefully this won't affect your dad too much.

Accidents happen and all that, as Flora says this is what you pay insurance for.

My grandad drove well into his eighties. Had a number of little bumps but the only thing that was ever dented was other people's cars! So hopefully this won't affect your dad too much.

Accidents happen and all that, as Flora says this is what you pay insurance for.

My Grandfaither (major) was the same. Hit a bollard, and John Law hurled him doon, "Were you in Stalag Lüft, Son?" Wełl phuqq off.

Statistically (according to insurers....) anyone who has a bump (even a very minor one) is more likely to be involved in another accident / incident, which is often why insurers will penalise someone if they become aware of an incident even though no formal claim may be made. If a claim is made protected no claims discount offers no 'protection' - you receive the same no claims discount, but from an increased gross premium.

NCD is a complete load of nonsense but the gullible British motorist is often proud of building up his / her NCD, which is why no insurer has had the balls to break ranks and consign it to the past (where it firmly belongs).

Edited by Charlie Endell

My car was in the car park at a bad junction at a restaturat at Leadburn near Penicuik when there was a collision between 2 cars which sent one flying through the metal fence into the car park and into my car.

Claim was covered by the driver at fault who drove through the give way, but come renewal time I had £70 added onto my policy!