Kiev Tues Night - Georgia v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kiev Tues Night

Center of Kyiv is totally fine and you will have no problem (it gets a bad rap on here because of what happened last time Scotland were in town, but having visited Kyiv for the best part of 12 years now, I have not heard of any other incidents like that..... whole of Euro 2012 passed off relatively peaceful, and if you believed the English media, only way you were coming home was in a body bag.... yet I know a few England boys through AFC Wimbledon, and they all loved their time there and said it was one of their favorite tournaments)

Good central place to meet up is O'Brians Irish Bar just up the hill from Independence Square (I am not a fan of Irish Bars, but this one is one of the best)..... other bars I can recommend are Porter Pub (little underground Jaikey Pub on main square next to Bank of Cyprus as you start to walk up the hill to O'Brians), Slavutych Shato Brewrey on Khreshchatyk Street (Kyiv version of Suchiehall Street/Princess Street/Union Street).

Head to B-Hush roof top bar.... little bit expensive and fancy, but fantastic view of St Micheal's Catherdral and the other side of the river (just up the top of the hill from O'Brians).

I could name about a million other great bars, but you would probably never find them or would mean going well off the beaten track.

For food, Taras Bulba and Pobeda Varenichnaya (this is a chain of cheap eat cafe/restaurants), but if you fancy pushing the boat out, Tsarske Selo is my favorite restaurant in the city (bit out the way, but well worth it).

Bar Selo, all the places I have mentioned are no more than a stones throw from each other.

I am in Kyiv from the Friday, but unfortunately I fly out on the Tuesday to Yerevan to make my way to Tbilisi.

Hope this is of some help to you :ok:

Edited by wanderer

No problem.

IMHO staying out at the airport would be criminal, as there is nothing there, when you have a really amazing Gem of a European capital city (which really comes to life at night and in the Summer time) only 30 minutes away on the bus/taxi.

No problem.

IMHO staying out at the airport would be criminal, as there is nothing there, when you have a really amazing Gem of a European capital city (which really comes to life at night and in the Summer time) only 30 minutes away on the bus/taxi.

That is so helpful as I've never been to Kiev or even know anything about it so was bit apprehensive ESP on my own but you have mins put my mind at ease thanks again

That is so helpful as I've never been to Kiev or even know anything about it so was bit apprehensive ESP on my own but you have mins put my mind at ease thanks again

If looking for a hotel, I would chose one from the following.......... Hotel Ukraine (large hotel over looking Independence Square.... I got a suite in here for the grand total of £25 a night!!!)..... Hotel Kosatsky on Independence Square (very cheap), or just around the corner Hotel Dnipro (opposite Dynamo Square..... but I would not feel good staying in here as this is one of the hotels Snipers were taking out people during the protests).

Will surprise you just how compact the center is when on Independence square (there is a massive shopping mall right under this, which is great to walk through), and when it gets dark, head in the direction of the Dynamo Stadium, but take a left up the hill towards the Friendship Arch, for one of the best views of the city you will find (this is also where the young people in the city hang out at night to chill with a beer and meet up with friends.

Do not have a sesh in the airport. Charlie Endell and me did that on the way home - it was aboot a tenner for a voddy.

A new big airport has been built next to the old one.

Not much in the departures lounge except a TGI Fridays, which for a airport bar/restaurant, is not bad price wise (will pay as much for a beer there as you will in a tourist bar/pub in town).

Not much in the departures lounge except a TGI Fridays, which for a airport bar/restaurant, is not bad price wise (will pay as much for a beer there as you will in a tourist bar/pub in town).

Good to hear. That old place was a cowp. It was about a quid for a hawf in the toon, then eleven in the airport boozer!

hahahaha the wee Paddy Bar tucked away in the corner of the departures area was a bit of a joke.

Speaking of TGI Fridays, Kyiv is one of the few places where I will actually eat in one of their restaurants, as compared to other countries, it is VERY cheap and tasty.

Seen folk mention the Ibis, and this TGI Fridays is located on the corner where Taras Shevchenko Street meets Khruschiatic Street (just behind the large market building at the round about).

Couple of good bars and resturants here......... O'Panas located inside the park next to Shevchenko Street is ok (not a favorite of mine though), with Pro-Rock pub a street down (favorite of my Mrs), and a new bar that seem to be the talk of Kyiv just now (Banka Bar..... its one of these Hispter Bars where you drink out of a jam jar....Kyiv seems to have a quiet by very fast growing underground bar scene for these type of craft beer bars popping up here and there)..... Club Bar 44 is a hidden gem (down a back street, but is one of the must be seen places of Kyiv... times I have went in here for one beer and lost entire nights as a result).... Le Cosmoplite, Golden Gate Pub and TralLeBus Pub are three musts do pubs in this area also

I loved Kiev. Is that far your missus is fae?

No, Ternopil about 3 hours drive from the Polish Border and 8 hours on the train from Kyiv...... when we were dating we would meet up in Kyiv just to make things easier, and since we got married in 2006 we would always try grab a night or two in Kyiv when passing through on route to the in-laws

Couple of good bars and resturants here......... O'Panas located inside the park next to Shevchenko Street is ok (not a favorite of mine though), with Pro-Rock pub a street down (favorite of my Mrs), and a new bar that seem to be the talk of Kyiv just now (Banka Bar..... its one of these Hispter Bars where you drink out of a jam jar....Kyiv seems to have a quiet by very fast growing underground bar scene for these type of craft beer bars popping up here and there)..... Club Bar 44 is a hidden gem (down a back street, but is one of the must be seen places of Kyiv... times I have went in here for one beer and lost entire nights as a result).... Le Cosmoplite, Golden Gate Pub and TralLeBus Pub are three musts do pubs in this area also

Rohypnol :yikes3:

Glad to hear that. We have 3 hours to kill in the airport, and i don't fancy paying 11 quid a vodka!

Rohypnol :yikes3:

Is that near Sevastypol?

Glad to hear that. We have 3 hours to kill in the airport, and i don't fancy paying 11 quid a vodka!

Only thing to check up on....... the airport is three terminals which are all a bus ride apart..... T1 is domestic and is the original Soviet Airport, which is listed for decommission....T2 is the old international airport, which now handles most the flights from ex-Soviet nations (mostly the obscure central republics).... T3 is international (BA, KLM, Lufthansa, AirFrance etc....)

Not 100% sure, but depending on your airline, you might need to switch between T2 and T3,

Edited by wanderer

Only thing to check up on....... the airport is three terminals which are all a bus ride apart..... T1 is domestic and is the original Soviet Airport, which is listed for decommission....T2 is the old international airport, which now handles most the flights from ex-Soviet nations (mostly the obscure central republics).... T3 is international (BA, KLM, Lufthansa, AirFrance etc....)

Not 100% sure, but depending on your airline, you might need to switch between T2 and T3,

We are UIA right through so same terminal I expect.

Anyway it'll be Dave's round by then so I don't mind. ;-)

If looking for a hotel, I would chose one from the following.......... Hotel Ukraine (large hotel over looking Independence Square.... I got a suite in here for the grand total of £25 a night!!!)..... Hotel Kosatsky on Independence Square (very cheap), or just around the corner Hotel Dnipro (opposite Dynamo Square..... but I would not feel good staying in here as this is one of the hotels Snipers were taking out people during the protests).

Will surprise you just how compact the center is when on Independence square (there is a massive shopping mall right under this, which is great to walk through), and when it gets dark, head in the direction of the Dynamo Stadium, but take a left up the hill towards the Friendship Arch, for one of the best views of the city you will find (this is also where the young people in the city hang out at night to chill with a beer and meet up with friends.

I stayed in the Kozatsky Hotel for 5 days when we played there. Very cheap and close to everything.

Bit of a panic on the saturday morning though, as the square was filled with thousands of protesters.

I would recommend booking a reputable taxi firm and book on line if you can for transfers between the airport and city.

Mine cost a bit more than expected, and I had a welcoming committee of three friends of the driver when I got to the airport.

I stayed in the Kozatsky Hotel for 5 days when we played there. Very cheap and close to everything.

Bit of a panic on the saturday morning though, as the square was filled with thousands of protesters.

I would recommend booking a reputable taxi firm and book on line if you can for transfers between the airport and city.

Mine cost a bit more than expected, and I had a welcoming committee of three friends of the driver when I got to the airport.

Cool I will look into that cheers ??

Anyone looking for a taxi from the airport to the city center, I can give you the email address of a good firm who do it for 20 USD one way, which is one of the best prices I have found for a taxi without having to take the bus (Bus is ok, but drops you off at the train station, which is 3 or 4 stops on the metro from the city center).

Most hotels will charge you 50 USD+ one way, and do not even acknowledge the street taxi drivers..... they are the biggest crooks around.... you ask a price and they will saying something like "100......." which you will just take for the local currency (£5-7), but then you get to your destination and they will say "no, dollars!".

Anyone looking for a taxi from the airport to the city center, I can give you the email address of a good firm who do it for 20 USD one way, which is one of the best prices I have found for a taxi without having to take the bus (Bus is ok, but drops you off at the train station, which is 3 or 4 stops on the metro from the city center).

Most hotels will charge you 50 USD+ one way, and do not even acknowledge the street taxi drivers..... they are the biggest crooks around.... you ask a price and they will saying something like "100......." which you will just take for the local currency (£5-7), but then you get to your destination and they will say "no, dollars!".

So you actually use a U.S. Dollar note?

So you actually use a U.S. Dollar note?

In all the years of going to Ukraine, everything gets quoted to me in US Dollars, as it is the international currency they prefer to do business in.

You can agree the price in Dollars and pay in local currency, but they prefer USD (Ukraine has never taken to the Euro for some reason, but they do like the Pound in recent years : as long as Bank of England notes).