Here We Go Again - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Here We Go Again

Hertsscot

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, FIFA world renowned for their honesty and integrity.

I'm not suggesting they have integrity but I really don't think they give a rat's ass if the UK countries stay separate or not.

If some of the people on here are to be believed, Blatter and his band of crooks are sitting around rubbing their hands just waiting for the four FAs to agree to a GB Olympic team and as soon as that happens we're doomed.

Edited by Kiltedsteamer147

I can't see FIFA/UEFA forcing the four home nations to merge. Ethically it goes against everything they stand for and is not their place to interfere in how member nations wish to be represented. Heck they haven't even banned countries at war from competing so I cannot see them doing this over a joint GB team. However, I don't blame the SFA and other home nations for keeping their guard up. Why supply ammo by succumbing to demands from the BOA when that organisation knew and accepted that 2012 Olympics was a one off. Seems to me that you give the BOA an inch and they'll try to take a miles and more. In short why jeopardise the situation we enjoy at present for a four yearly competition that GB haven't competing in for decades?

I can't see FIFA/UEFA forcing the four home nations to merge. Ethically it goes against everything they stand for and is not their place to interfere in how member nations wish to be represented. Heck they haven't even banned countries at war from competing so I cannot see them doing this over a joint GB team. However, I don't blame the SFA and other home nations for keeping their guard up. Why supply ammo by succumbing to demands from the BOA when that organisation knew and accepted that 2012 Olympics was a one off. Seems to me that you give the BOA an inch and they'll try to take a miles and more. In short why jeopardise the situation we enjoy at present for a four yearly competition that GB haven't competing in for decades?

There's absolutely no reason that GB couldn't play in th Olympics with the home nations keeping their independence for UEFA and FIFA competitions other than issues with Olympic qualification.

If the SFA agreed to let the BOA field a team in Rio (regardless of how they would actually qualify), FIFA would not insist that the home nations are replaced with a GB team in the next World Cup. In fact, I'd be surprised if they even noticed in between counting their bribes.

The men's Olympic tournament is a Mickey Mouse event that nobody cares about anyway.

Also, Team GB took part in the last Olympics. I don't remember FIFA threatening to do away with the home nations after 2012.

There's absolutely no reason that GB couldn't play in th Olympics with the home nations keeping their independence for UEFA and FIFA competitions other than issues with Olympic qualification.

If the SFA agreed to let the BOA field a team in Rio (regardless of how they would actually qualify), FIFA would not insist that the home nations are replaced with a GB team in the next World Cup. In fact, I'd be surprised if they even noticed in between counting their bribes.

The men's Olympic tournament is a Mickey Mouse event that nobody cares about anyway.

Also, Team GB took part in the last Olympics. I don't remember FIFA threatening to do away with the home nations after 2012.

I'd agree with that.

However, I fully concur with the SFA, FAW and NIFA for standing their ground. They are looking out for their own interests which happens to be what I'd say is the majority of what the supporters feel as well. Olympic Football (men's or women) is a four yearly event which hardly raises an interest in this country anyway - in short it is a miniscule loss compared to the loss of the right to compete in international football as seperate entities - however small a chance that is of happening. It is quite simply just not worth it.

Perectly simple 1 FA = we play in the Olympics 4 FA's = we don't

The UK playing in the Olympics is unfair from a sporting point of view in any Olympics outside of a home one (Automatic qualification) as no matter how you set the team up (best 11 or play off between the 4) we have an unfair advantage in we get 4 attempts to qualify to every other countries 1. If you want Olympic football then campaign for a UK FA. How long would it be before other nations start to question team GB when in 2020 England get the qualifiying spot in 2024 While England have a bad year Wales get it and so on. It is an unfair advantage and goes against the spirit of the qualification system.

I'd agree with that.

However, I fully concur with the SFA, FAW and NIFA for standing their ground. They are looking out for their own interests which happens to be what I'd say is the majority of what the supporters feel as well. Olympic Football (men's or women) is a four yearly event which hardly raises an interest in this country anyway - in short it is a miniscule loss compared to the loss of the right to compete in international football as seperate entities - however small a chance that is of happening. It is quite simply just not worth it.

I don't have a problem with the position of the SFA or the other associations. I just think the whole thing is a storm in a teacup and the minute another report comes out about the feasibility of having a GB squad at the Olympics, some people are up in arms and pishing their drawers.

I personally don't care if there is a British team at the Olympics or not. If there is, I don't think it will spell the end of the four home nations competing in FIFA tournament (or the qualifiers anyway!)

I think the only danger would be if the four associations agree to merge in some way to allow the team to qualify but as we all know, the SFA will never let that happen.

The whole point is that it just is not worth the risk. Heck look at the attendances at the 2012 Olympic football - they were terrible. That says the interest isn't there from the fans so the whole subject should be dropped. The BOA are taking the urine and trying to force this through by bringing it up again even after being told the 2012 Olympics was only going to be a one-off but now they want more. Sorry BOA abide by the footballing associations and let this pathetic thing drop - after all it is a four yearly tournament and interest-wise not on the same scale as 90% of other sports at the games.

Mentioned by who? Walter Mitty?

How would that money be made exactly?

FIFA have denied on several occasions that they are looking to merge the UK teams. None of the countries want to merge so I doubt FIFA would make us even if they could make that amount of money.

If FIFA were desperate to have one UK team and felt they had a mandate to merge the four countries, they would have done it years ago.

You obviously don't have a clue about the situation and reasons behind it.

Best go read about it then instead of making stupid comments.

I know all about the situation mate but thanks for the obnoxious post.

Exactly what your 'obnoxious' post deserved. If you know all about it then you'll know why people have been quoting all kinds of ridiculous amounts of cash to be made by fifa out of it.

Exactly what your 'obnoxious' post deserved. If you know all about it then you'll know why people have been quoting all kinds of ridiculous amounts of cash to be made by fifa out of it.

My post wasn't meant to be obnoxious mate.

I was pointing out that the people who are scaremongering and pointing out ridiculous sums of cash possibly don't know what they are talking about.

FIFA have never once said that they want one team from GB. There have been rumours for years from David Will and the like that FIFA would like to do away with the home nations but I don't remember anything official (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not suggesting that certain FIFA members or even high ranking FIFA officials don't want to do away with the home nations but if it was going to happen I think it would have already.

If FIFA really are desperate to end the home nations independence, surely they could put it to a vote whether or not there is a GB team at the Olympics or not?

Kiltedsteamer I and others have given their reasons why it should not happen but I don't hear reasons from you why this would be beneficial to have a GB side in the Olympics? What long-term difference/benefit does it bring to the sport etc?

I don't think it would have any benefits at all, Craig. Not for Scotland anyway as I don't think the SFA will ever let Scottish players be involved (although they have admitted they can't legally stop anyone).

I think you might have misunderstood what I've been saying - I don't want a GB team at the Olympics. I just don't care if there is one or not as I don't think it will put the Scotland team at risk.

Like you said earlier though, why take the risk? That's a very good point. I just don't understand the hysteria that happens every time some windbag at the BOA or FA proposes a British team at the Olympics.

I don't think it would have any benefits at all, Craig. Not for Scotland anyway as I don't think the SFA will ever let Scottish players be involved (although they have admitted they can't legally stop anyone).

I think you might have misunderstood what I've been saying - I don't want a GB team at the Olympics. I just don't care if there is one or not as I don't think it will put the Scotland team at risk.

Like you said earlier though, why take the risk? That's a very good point. I just don't understand the hysteria that happens every time some windbag at the BOA or FA proposes a British team at the Olympics.

Or on the TAMB. That's 5 pages already over total hot air.