Next Set Of Fixtures Are Huge - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Set Of Fixtures Are Huge

Hendricks

Our match in Georgia is a really big one. I honestly believe if we can go there and win that (the type of banana skin fixture we always have difficulty with) then it will set up a match against Poland whereby victory will see us qualifying for France a few days later in Gibraltar.

Simply put 3 wins against Georgia, Poland and Gibraltar and the Germans beating Poland in Berlin (the same night we play Georgia) will GUARANTEE automatic qualification regardless of the Germany fixture at Hampden. We would be on 20 pts (assuming a home loss to Germany) and the most that Poland could get would be 20 pts with a worse head to head.

We have put ourselves into a decent position in this group and frankly to get to tournaments you need to beat the likes of Georgia away and Poland at home. A golden opportunity now exists.

Edited by Hendricks

Apologies in advance if it`s been mentioned elsewhere but I thought that in this tournament head to head only counted after goal difference. Whatever, the Georgia game is massive and I hope players are really aware that it`s as important or more as sell-out Hampden game a few days later that`ll attract massive press coverage. At Ibrox we looked a better team than them but needed a lucky goal to win and they had their chances and apart from late goal rushes by Poland they seem to cause teams problems.

Apologies in advance if it`s been mentioned elsewhere but I thought that in this tournament head to head only counted after goal difference. Whatever, the Georgia game is massive and I hope players are really aware that it`s as important or more as sell-out Hampden game a few days later that`ll attract massive press coverage. At Ibrox we looked a better team than them but needed a lucky goal to win and they had their chances and apart from late goal rushes by Poland they seem to cause teams problems.

Here you go Boss! This is why winning the 3 games (Georgia/Poland/Gibraltar) and praying for a Germany win against the Poles will see us qualify automatically. I just can't see the Germans not beat the Poles having already lost to them. Its great its the next set of fixtures as they really need to win or they could put themselves in a bad spot.

Tiebreakers[edit]

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following tie-breaking criteria are applied:[10]

1. Higher number of points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
  2. Superior goal difference resulting from the matches played between the teams in question;
  3. Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question;
  4. Higher number of goals scored away from home in the matches played between the teams in question;
  5. If, after having applied criteria 1 to 4, teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 4 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6 to 10 apply;
  6. Superior goal difference in all group matches;
  7. Higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
  8. Higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
  9. Fair play conduct in all group matches (1 point for a single yellow card, 3 points for a red card as a consequence of two yellow cards, 3 points for a direct red card, 4 points for a yellow card followed by a direct red card);
  10. Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system;
Edited by Hendricks

Agree. Georgia away is massive. But then for me georgia away was always looming in the background as a potential screw up. A win is a must. If we lose then we need to beat Germany the following Tuesday. Need a win and anything of Germany , which I fancy, is a bonus.

Agree, we can look to Georgia as our cup final and go for the win. then take the Germany game as it comes and anything we get is a bonus.

The Georgia match is huge in several ways. Don't forget we played them some years ago. I went out there with an optimistic approach thinking that we would dig out a result. The reality was that we lost 2-0 very limp wristedly in what must have been one of the most intimidating atmospheres I have ever been in. Fair play to the Georgian fans - it is a huge stadium and they filled it (50000? more?). They kept up the noise throughout drowning out the 500 or so TA throughout the game and they won 2-0. Apart from the game and the result, everything else about Georgia was a hoot!!! Being driven to the airport at 4am by the head of the Georgian mafia was quite some experience. He'd had a few and insisted on driving us himself - his 4 bodyguards were relegated to a car which followed us out to the airport. That coupled with beers with his pal - a guy called Belo who you might describe as Georgias equivalent to Billy Connolly, amazing trip to Gori, donating at an orphanage in the city, accidentally burning the hotel room and almost the whole hotel made the whole trip quite memorable.

Our match in Georgia is a really big one. I honestly believe if we can go there and win that (the type of banana skin fixture we always have difficulty with) then it will set up a match against Poland whereby victory will see us qualifying for France a few days later in Gibraltar.

Simply put 3 wins against Georgia, Poland and Gibraltar and the Germans beating Poland in Berlin (the same night we play Georgia) will GUARANTEE automatic qualification regardless of the Germany fixture at Hampden. We would be on 20 pts (assuming a home loss to Germany) and the most that Poland could get would be 20 pts with a worse head to head.

We have put ourselves into a decent position in this group and frankly to get to tournaments you need to beat the likes of Georgia away and Poland at home. A golden opportunity now exists.

I should have read this thread first. I've just typed almost exactly the same in another thread. Could have saved myself the bother. :lol: