Youth Football - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Maybe different in different areas? West Lothian play through the winter.

Really? As far as I was aware the SYFA moved all youth football to a summer season a few years back. There's a break for summer holidays.

Our boys continue to train during the winter but league matches (East Renfrewshire and Paisley & Johnstone District) don't start till the first weekend in March. Pretty sure it's Scotland wide.

Really? As far as I was aware the SYFA moved all youth football to a summer season a few years back. There's a break for summer holidays.

Our boys continue to train during the winter but league matches (East Renfrewshire and Paisley & Johnstone District) don't start till the first weekend in March. Pretty sure it's Scotland wide.

I asked a woman in my office who helps run here sons team and she said they didn't play summer football.

SFA changed all football for under 12s to summer season in 2011 (I just checked) as part of National Player Pathway.

If you're talking about over 12s then maybe we're both right. And maybe teenagers should play through the summer too.

Unfortunately, some associations are stuck in their ways and are of the mentality that "this is how it's always been". Wouldn't be surprised if some are still playing on ashparks with a mouldmaster football.

SFA changed all football for under 12s to summer season in 2011 (I just checked) as part of National Player Pathway.

If you're talking about over 12s then maybe we're both right. And maybe teenagers should play through the summer too.

Her son is at high school, so must be under 13's at least. :lol:

Unfortunately, some associations are stuck in their ways and are of the mentality that "this is how it's always been". Wouldn't be surprised if some are still playing on ashparks with a mouldmaster football.

I know of a school's game in Glasgow last week played in exactly those conditions. Don't think the SFA can do anything about that unfortunately.

Edited by adamntg

I thought councils weren't allowed to hire out ash parks for matches anymore? I think you can still train on them? Certainly NLC and SLC don't. NLC have recently started digging up some of the few remaining ones to replace them with more modern surfaces.

I still have the scars from a goal saving tackle on ash from high school. Maldini-esque tackle right enough...

I thought councils weren't allowed to hire out ash parks for matches anymore? I think you can still train on them? Certainly NLC and SLC don't. NLC have recently started digging up some of the few remaining ones to replace them with more modern surfaces.

I still have the scars from a goal saving tackle on ash from high school. Maldini-esque tackle right enough...

Probably part of the school grounds.

As we've established, it's March-November until they get to 11 a side and high school.

I expect the older kids will catch up eventually.

Not in Forth Valley, the primary school age groups play 7s through the winter, mostly on all weather surfaces.

Not in Forth Valley, the primary school age groups play 7s through the winter, mostly on all weather surfaces.

Fair enough.

http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/news/2013/01/31/grassroots-split-on-summer-football-debate/

In Scotland the switch to a summer season was made in 2011 with the introduction of the new Scottish National Player Pathway, with all children up to the under-12s age group now playing development football from March to November.

David Little, Chief Executive of the Scottish Youth Football Association (SYFA), told Club Website the reasons behind the change.

“It was to try and get the youngest players away from the periods when we shouldn’t be playing – the real cold weather, leading up to Christmas and in January,” he said.

The interview goes on to explain why the older kids play through the winter.

Edited by adamntg

Forth Valley Childrens Leagues - up to age 12 roughly play March to November with break for school summer holidays - there is discussion to play through the holidays. So this is fun fours, super 5s and 7 aside from 6yrs old to 12. The last season for under 12s is March to June. They then flip to 11 aside and start "traditional" season in August.

Edited by Verno

Forth Valley Childrens Leagues - up to age 12 roughly play March to November with break for school summer holidays - there is discussion to play through the holidays. So this is fun fours, super 5s and 7 aside from 6yrs old to 12. The last season for under 12s is March to June. They then flip to 11 aside and start "traditional" season in August.

:)