Bbc - Scottish Football Doesn't Deserve More Cash (From Daily Mail) - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bbc - Scottish Football Doesn't Deserve More Cash (From Daily Mail)

combat

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair !!! Like it or not the BBC doesnt have to distribute their "largesse" fairly. As previous if it had to share the pot "fairly" why should football get any more than rugby or squash ? If the BBC had it in its mandate that it had to distribute funds for sports fairly each sport would have an allocation of about £50 . There is a finite pot of money and they should get the best result for the licence payer. I dont doubt that at some point the EPL highlights package will go back to ITV as for whatever reason ITV will pay more and the BBC will judge that it isnt worth that amount of money. its how it works !

Not completely true Nobby. The BBC does have to spend its money in a fair manner - allocating large sums to showing arts programmes etc. promoting little know productions on some of its channels and its spend on news/current affairs related programmes. These attract a fraction of the viewers of X factor for example but the BBC must still show them - It is in its charter to do this because of the manner of its fund raising through the licence fee.

so it is not wholly driven by commercial concerns and currently its coverage of scottish football is pathetic compared to the coverage the EPL gets. I wouldnt mind so much what they were spending on scottish football if the coverage was decent but its not, its sh*te. so they should spend more and show a decent highlights programme.

Its chicken and egg as well. if you dont promote/ give coverage to something then less people will get interested in it. they are trying to shoe horn us into watching the EPL and nothing else.

As Renton put it so succinctly - its a sh*te state of affairs.

Not completely true Nobby. The BBC does have to spend its money in a fair manner - allocating large sums to showing arts programmes etc. promoting little know productions on some of its channels and its spend on news/current affairs related programmes. These attract a fraction of the viewers of X factor for example but the BBC must still show them - It is in its charter to do this because of the manner of its fund raising through the licence fee.

so it is not wholly driven by commercial concerns and currently its coverage of scottish football is pathetic compared to the coverage the EPL gets. I wouldnt mind so much what they were spending on scottish football if the coverage was decent but its not, its sh*te. so they should spend more and show a decent highlights programme.

Its chicken and egg as well. if you dont promote/ give coverage to something then less people will get interested in it. they are trying to shoe horn us into watching the EPL and nothing else.

As Renton put it so succinctly - its a sh*te state of affairs.

All true but what they pay the SPFL to cover the games shouldnt be related to what they actually spend on the cost of carrying out that coverage smug english presenter aside ;-)

By George, he's got it!

They SHOULD have to.

I believe I will be distributing my annual £20 of largesse next week as spurs yet again finished below Arsenal to the same payment instructions as before ? Tell Parklife im happy to pay the same £20 next year !!

All true but what they pay the SPFL to cover the games shouldnt be related to what they actually spend on the cost of carrying out that coverage smug english presenter aside ;-)

No Nobby, but you and I both know that a more extensive/ regular highlights programme would cost more. They could even tender to screen some live games - god forbid they might have to pay for the priviledge though eh?

Alloa chairman Mike Mulraney was putting the boot into the BBC over this on Sportsound last night. The journos weren't liking it at all...

how could the journos possibly defend it? i mean if they think carefully they make their living out of the game so surely any increased investment is good for them too?

Sport, including football, should just be left to commercial channels to televise. It's good the BBC shows so little sport now. Once the licence fee is scrapped then the BBC can bid at market rates against its competitors for whatever sport it likes. Hard to justify a licence fee being used to bid against commercial competitors in the open market.

how could the journos possibly defend it? i mean if they think carefully they make their living out of the game so surely any increased investment is good for them too?

They seemed to be taking the Nobby line. Even Jim Spence from what I heard...

Much as it pains me to say it I do see where Nobby is coming from. The BBC can't be blamed for not throwing money into the SPL. They'll pay the minimum so they can stretch the budget. I'd bet what they paid for the EPL highlights is the minimum they could have paid to get that as well. I mean who here, would pay say £1000 for a TV set from Curry's when the shop is offering it for say £600 - nobody would. It is up to those at the SPFL to pull the plug on the deal and look elsewhere or more to the point why bother signing the deal in the first place? They saw the figures did they not?

Sadly, life often seems unfair in many walks of life and this is one of those but in order to change that it is up to the SPFL to think twice before signing such a deal in future and then moaning about it down the line - very odd.