Bon Scott Death - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bon Scott Death

35 years ago today. A true Rock n Roll legend. From a purely selfish point of view it's gutting that he passed on before I was even thought of. Seeing him perform Live would have been pretty special I would have thought. Anyone on here had that pleasure?

Going to be a year of AC/DC for me, kicking off with tribute act Volts on Saturday. Also got Livewire later this year as well as the real thing twice.

Bring it on!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welder in my work is a massive AC/DC fan and keeps reminding me he saw them warm up for the SAHB in Kilmarnock in 1977 as part of a Radio Clyde summer show (or something to that effect)

I knew they'd played the Grand Hall but didn't realise they were only a support act!

I knew they'd played the Grand Hall but didn't realise they were only a support act!

Will ask him tomorrow, but he said to me it was some "summer of rock" road show Radio Clyde put on (said some pretty impressive bands were in it) where they would go to places away from Glasgow and put on a night with 3 or 4 bands, usually one headline with two newer bands, and he said it was one of AC/DC first UK gigs and they stole the show.

I was 11-12 when they played Caird Hall in Dundee but wasn't allowed to go.

6 months later I was allowed to go to my first gig to see UFO. Still gutted I missed ACDC - the difference of a being a few months older. :cry:

I'm sure that AC/DC became a lot better known after a tour in which they supported UFO. Story goes that on the first night the UFO lads were all standing looking at each other thinking 'how the are we going to follow that?' :-)) interesting when you see how the fortunes of both bands have turned out.

UFO was my first ever gig too incidentally. Barrowlands in 1995. Amazing night. They are playing in Glasgow in April if you didn't know mate. Don't think I've ever known a band to have so many different members over the years but they were still great when I went to see them a couple of years back.

Didn't he choke on his vomit, whilst asleep after a drink binging session.

That's rock n roll I suppose. I have seen a bronze statue of him posted on social media, I think it was in australia.

Is he also burried there?

Buried in Oz yes.

The official coroner report was alcohol poisoning. I read an article in a music mag a few year back that disputed him actually choking on vomit. There was rumors of heavier drug abuse. The article I read didn't so much give an actual reason for his death, it more picked holes in the official story. A lot of it didn;t add up.

Found dead in a car outside a London flat

varies from vomit due to drugs over dose (though band said he was clean at the time and was enjoying life) to a asma attack (supposedly he suffered from it very badly and being over night inside a car parked on the street in the middle of winter was one of the last things he should have been doing.

Story starts to get a bit dodgy after it turns out the owner of the car just "vanished" not long after.....

varies from vomit due to drugs over dose (though band said he was clean at the time and was enjoying life) to a asma attack (supposedly he suffered from it very badly and being over night inside a car parked on the street in the middle of winter was one of the last things he should have been doing.

Story starts to get a bit dodgy after it turns out the owner of the car just "vanished" not long after.....

Aye from memory the article I read stated he had been partying in the flat and then went out into the car to sleep it off. Band 100% maintain he was clean, however other reports differ with this. Like you say it all seemed a bit strange.

Think it was classic rock that ran the article a couple of years back. Can't locate an online copy of it. was a decent read at any rate. How much of it was true is a different question altogether.

Aye from memory the article I read stated he had been partying in the flat and then went out into the car to sleep it off. Band 100% maintain he was clean, however other reports differ with this. Like you say it all seemed a bit strange.

Think it was classic rock that ran the article a couple of years back. Can't locate an online copy of it. was a decent read at any rate. How much of it was true is a different question altogether.

He had been jamming with the youngs in the studio in the afternoon (nothing special, just Bon on Drums while the Youngs played guitar) and listened to a few of their ideas for the next album (it's false that they laid down Back in Black as claimed.... What people think is that is a cover fr another band in the late 80's) before going to one of his favourite London pubs for a few beers.

After this he is seen moving on with people and story is he fell asleep in the car, and as they had no idea where he was staying they thought best to take him home, but he was to heavy for them to move into the house, so just left him where he was..... Woke up next morning to police standing beside the car.

He had been jamming with the youngs in the studio in the afternoon (nothing special, just Bon on Drums while the Youngs played guitar) and listened to a few of their ideas for the next album (it's false that they laid down Back in Black as claimed.... What people think is that is a cover fr another band in the late 80's) before going to one of his favourite London pubs for a few beers.

After this he is seen moving on with people and story is he fell asleep in the car, and as they had no idea where he was staying they thought best to take him home, but he was to heavy for them to move into the house, so just left him where he was..... Woke up next morning to police standing beside the car.

Ah I see. I had always thought he had been in the flat but then went out to the car to sleep it off.

I'm sure that AC/DC became a lot better known after a tour in which they supported UFO. Story goes that on the first night the UFO lads were all standing looking at each other thinking 'how the are we going to follow that?' :-)) interesting when you see how the fortunes of both bands have turned out.

UFO was my first ever gig too incidentally. Barrowlands in 1995. Amazing night. They are playing in Glasgow in April if you didn't know mate. Don't think I've ever known a band to have so many different members over the years but they were still great when I went to see them a couple of years back.

The tour I meant was AC/DC tour of their own (possibly Let There Be Rock 1977 or 1978?).

I didn't know they had supported UFO - must have been an earlier tour ? Just coincidence that, UFO tour was my first ever gig (I think that was late '78 or early '79). Ended up seeing them 3 times.

It wasn't until about 15 years ago that I eventually got to see AC/DC live (Aberdeen EXhibition Centre) and delighted to say I'm going to Hampden in June to see them again. :guitar:

Just checked - must have been Powerage May 1978 when I was P7 and got see UFO later when I was 1st year secondary school.

http://www.ac-dc.net/archives/subcategory.php?subcategory_id=42

Edited by fringo

The tour I meant was AC/DC tour of their own (possibly Let There Be Rock 1977 or 1978?).

I didn't know they had supported UFO - must have been an earlier tour ? Just coincidence that, UFO tour was my first ever gig (I think that was late '78 or early '79). Ended up seeing them 3 times.

It wasn't until about 15 years ago that I eventually got to see AC/DC live (Aberdeen EXhibition Centre) and delighted to say I'm going to Hampden in June to see them again. :guitar:

Just checked - must have been Powerage May 1978 when I was P7 and got see UFO later when I was 1st year secondary school.

http://www.ac-dc.net/archives/subcategory.php?subcategory_id=42

Really couldn't be sure with dates mate and I think they supported UFO twice '77 and 79'. 1977 is probably the one I'm thinking of as I'm sure it was Schenker that made the comments about not being able to follow them. He left UFO in 78' I think?

Ballbreaker tour 1996 was my first DC gig. Night before my 14th Birthday at the SECC.

Angus Young, maybe you can help does your idol still wear in his school uniform on stage?

Is there a reason behind it ?

He reminds me of scampy, sooty's cousin.

LOL

Still wears but looks a bit weird these days maybe, but it wouldn't be the same without it.

I think he started wearing because he joined AC/DC when he was 15/16 yrs old and still at school (Malcolm's wee brother drafted in).

Really couldn't be sure with dates mate and I think they supported UFO twice '77 and 79'. 1977 is probably the one I'm thinking of as I'm sure it was Schenker that made the comments about not being able to follow them. He left UFO in 78' I think?

Ballbreaker tour 1996 was my first DC gig. Night before my 14th Birthday at the SECC.

You may well be right but (after googling it for my memory) the 1978 tour was an AC/DC tour.

Friend of my brother's went to see Black Sabbath in Aberdeen around 1977/78 and the support band was Van Halen and I imagine they would have been pretty spectacular as a support band too.

PS - young whippersnapper ! :lol:

Angus Young, maybe you can help does your idol still wear in his school uniform on stage?

Is there a reason behind it ?

He reminds me of scampy, sooty's cousin.

LOL

There are a few rumours surrounding the uniform origin, but the common one is that in the early days, when glam rock was all the rage ,they decided that everyone in the band would dress up in some sort of gimmick costume.

Angus had tried a few different ones on stage (Spider-Man and superman amongst them) before he went with the schoolboy outfit. By that point there was another oz band doing the 'glam' thing so AC/DC decided to drop it, all apart from Angus' outfit.

Widely accepted that his sister Margaret gave him the idea. Believable as she came up with the bands name in the first place.

You may well be right but (after googling it for my memory) the 1978 tour was an AC/DC tour.

Friend of my brother's went to see Black Sabbath in Aberdeen around 1977/78 and the support band was Van Halen and I imagine they would have been pretty spectacular as a support band too.

PS - young whippersnapper ! :lol:

Hard to tell as my info just comes from various interviews and articles over the years. Seems plausible given the dates but given I wasn't even Alive its hard to say how accurate I am :D funny I'm quite an avid reader and have never picked up a book about AC/DC. I'll need to take a look and see what's available.

Would be great if someone made an i depth documentary about the band. Still time for that to happen I suppse.

Edited by Angus_Young

Just reminded me of the Croatia trip the other year. One of my mates is a piper and he taught one of the Croatian TA online how to play the pipes. After the game we were back in the bar overlooking the square when the Croatian piper tells us he plays in an ACDC tribute band called the Ballbreakers - they just happened to be playing in Zagreb that night. So ends up with the five of us (2 Croatian and three Scots ) walking down to the rock club about half a mile or so. We got cheered in - taken backstage - the club owner brought us numerous drinks on the house . Both pipers then got cheered onto the stage to play with the band - Its a Long Way to the Top - the rest of us were like roadies/royalty at the front. Absolutely brilliant night.