Magrit Curran Attends Dinner As Guest Of Arms Manufacturers - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Magrit Curran Attends Dinner As Guest Of Arms Manufacturers

Though there are also tens of thousands of Scottish families feeding, clothing and housing themselves due to this industry and there's the rub

let's bring back the death penalty so we can hire firing squads and reduce unemployment.

I get the anti-weapons thing, however if that argument stands up, lets go after the tobacco industry, Nestle for practically forcing 3rd world mothers to use their formula, Oil Companies for uprooting indiginous tribes in the Niger Delta, Logging and mining multinationals that have questionable worker safty records with head offices in the UK and other Western countries, Union Carbide and Bhopal disaster and their ilk. Lets take on the Alchol industry and their agressive marketing in developing countries.

Plenty of industries get their pay days off of ordinary peoples misery.

J

Aye sounds about right, in fact i've probably mentioned all of those apart from alcohol agressive marketing on here.

If you don't sell them you don't have an industry, the export credit situation is an issue though again it does support jobs.

Point is, in any other industry, you sell to people who are creditworthy or you get them to pay up front. Arms is different for some reason.

And the 'supports' jobs argument is shite. The ROI of money spent on supporting jobs is very poor compared to most other industries - it'd be better spent elsewhere.

I was making a point that providing jobs isn't always the main concern in an issue, a lot of the times it is, but sometimes (for me) it is trumped by something else.

I'm not disagreeing and it's unfortunate there's more jobs in swords than ploughshares but any party that suggested dismantling defence related manufacturing in Scotland would be on to plums at the ballot box.

Nah, they just help brown people get mortared to death.

TBF if it wasn't British (& Scottish) mortars, it would be American, Russian or Chinese mortars. No way ever will everyone on this world relinquish weapons. With that constant there will always be a market for death and destruction.

May as well try a worldwide ban on fags or liqueur.

J

The powerful capital holders in the UK have no interest in seeing the tax revenues of the UK used to gradually increase the education and welfare of the people living there. That would be a massive threat to their perennial privilege.

Instead they divert these monies into industries that benefit them, arms and defense spending being everyones favourite (but that is just the tip of the graftberg), and this keeps them perpetually rich.

But it also deprives you of the same funds for education and advancement of society and so keeps you perpetually poor.

But still you pesky workers will not stop trying to raise yourselves up... So every time the working people ever looked likely to achieve a fair state for all that is when the folk who really run the show reduce them to rubble in some constructed war.

Putin is Hitler I see.... Must be time for a reset.

Edited by thplinth

TBF if it wasn't British (& Scottish) mortars, it would be American, Russian or Chinese mortars. No way ever will everyone on this world relinquish weapons. With that constant there will always be a market for death and destruction.

May as well try a worldwide ban on fags or liqueur.

J

Just because someone else is a shit doesnt excuse you being one.

That's 'you' in a general sense, not you specifically.

Edited by biffer

Reading Ian Frasers book about the collapse of RBS. He made reference to this in the book. Politicians like to associate themselves with rising industries when if it suits them. I think in hindsight Salmond regrets this.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/politics/revealed-salmond-s-support-for-goodwin-over-disastrous-rbs-deal-1.1046662

Edited by EddardStark

Reading Ian Frasers book about the collapse of RBS. He made reference to this in the book. Politicians like to associate themselves with rising industries when if it suits them. I think in hindsight Salmond regrets this.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/politics/revealed-salmond-s-support-for-goodwin-over-disastrous-rbs-deal-1.1046662

Good way of nudging Salmond into this thread.

Just because someone else is a shit doesnt excuse you being one.

That's 'you' in a general sense, not you specifically.

Phew! I thought the shit was about to start flying.

TBH the arms industry is so far intwined and controlling of decision making and policy making across the globe. Governments serve big business, because big business bank rolls them. Add to that, the Media, pharmaceutical companies, energy companies, food industry.

We really live in a completely undemocratic world, where our lives are controlled by business interests. As consumers we are key to transferring our hard earned back into the pockets of the wealthy (shareholders).

Until that system changes, the world will continue to get raped and a small few will benifit from billions of people's misery.

Let's face it, most of are too tied up with mortgage repayments and paying for Christmas and foriegn summer holdiays to actually give a feck.

J

Edited by Bristolhibby