Visiting The Scottish Parliament - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Visiting The Scottish Parliament

As im coming home from oz for xmas I was thinking of a wee drive from ayr to reekie to take a look around after the ref having restored my interest in scottish politics.

I've been overseas for a decade but even before that it never crossed my mind to poke my nose in.

Has anyone done it, can you just rock up?attend a debate or do you need a msp to organise? If so anyone who the South Ayrshire Msp is, doubtless a Tory.

As im coming home from oz for xmas I was thinking of a wee drive from ayr to reekie to take a look around after the ref having restored my interest in scottish politics.

I've been overseas for a decade but even before that it never crossed my mind to poke my nose in.

Has anyone done it, can you just rock up?attend a debate? or do you need a msp to organise? If so anyone know who the South Ayrshire Msp is, doubtless a Tory.

You don't need an MSP to organise but we had to pre-book to attend FMQ a few months ago. Don't know about attending a run of the mill debate though. It was a great experience anyway, we were lucky because my mate's Dad is actually an MSP who gave us a guided tour and showed us some of the areas the tourists don't get to see B). You also have to go through an airport style security check before you go in. All in all it is well worth seeing

It's an absolutely breathtaking building and a great day out. You'll enjoy it. :ok:

You don't need an MSP to organise but we had to pre-book to attend FMQ a few months ago. Don't know about attending a run of the mill debate though. It was a great experience anyway, we were lucky because my mate's Dad is actually an MSP who gave us a guided tour and showed us some of the areas the tourists don't get to see B). You also have to go through an airport style security check before you go in. All in all it is well worth seeing

It's an absolutely breathtaking building and a great day out. You'll enjoy it. :ok:

Agree.

It's a great day out and the tour guide was fantastic. I went a few years back in 2007 and they discussed everything from the history of the building, Miralles, Scottish history, and that historic win in 2007.

It was free as well.

When you visit don't forget to have a look round the whole outside too. The best view is probably from Radical Road below Salisbury Crags. And the wall of quotations is fun.

Note, there are no MSPs around on Monday or Friday so if you want to see a debate it will have to be Tuesday to Thursday (also they are shut through the Christmas holidays...). On the other hand, if it is morning or Monday or Friday, you can get to stand on the chamber floor.

You can just turn up and get in to see most chamber debates, but if you want to see FMQs on Thursday lunchtime or a particular committee debate, it is best to book in advance.