Free Travel On Day Of The Game? - Germany v Scotland - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Free Travel On Day Of The Game?

Scotland-Die-Hard

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but I'm not sure if people thought this would be the case rather than they knew that this was the case.

What I'm getting at is has it been confirmed that if you travel with your match ticket you be granted free travel on the day of the match? We'll be looking for a train from Dusseldorf to Dortmund. Also how does it work as there is likely to be a few thousand Scots turning up around the same time without pre-booked transport looking to jump on the same train?

Cheers

We are travelling from Cologne on Sunday. I take it we would be better getting our tickets on the day and only paying for the journey to and from the free travel 'border'?

Also if the free travel is only up until 1am, will it be valid if we get the 0050 train back bearing in mind it will be after 2am by the time we get into Cologne?

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but I'm not sure if people thought this would be the case rather than they knew that this was the case.

What I'm getting at is has it been confirmed that if you travel with your match ticket you be granted free travel on the day of the match? We'll be looking for a train from Dusseldorf to Dortmund. Also how does it work as there is likely to be a few thousand Scots turning up around the same time without pre-booked transport looking to jump on the same train?

Cheers

Free matchday travel was confirmed by SFA in 2 recent emails, plus it's stated on the match ticket.

Regional-express trains from Dusseldorf to Dortmund run twice an hour on Sunday, so plenty choices for abody

FREE TRANSPORT

The DFB has confirmed that SSC members with a valid ticket can take advantage of FREE public transport within the Dusseldorf and Dortmund areas. Click here to see area map

Apologies if it's already been covered somewhere but do you have to book train tickets in advance?

You don't have to, but it may be cheaper.

Only train I'm paying for is from Dusseldorf airport to Dusseldorf Hof and back. 2.5 each way, so I'll pay on the day.

Match ticket covers me on match day Dusseldorf to Dortmund and back.

Thank fook I'm busy at work or this week will drag.

J

Hi Guy`s

Sorry to ask again but we always follow the 6 Nations and have only been to Prague and Oslo for the football.

We managed to get tickets in Block 62 (German Tickets)

We are staying in Dusseldorf and will travel to Dortmund on match day and leave around Midnight

Are you guys saying our matych tickets will allow us to make this return journey FOC?

Many thanks

Hi Guy`s

Sorry to ask again but we always follow the 6 Nations and have only been to Prague and Oslo for the football.

We managed to get tickets in Block 62 (German Tickets)

We are staying in Dusseldorf and will travel to Dortmund on match day and leave around Midnight

Are you guys saying our matych tickets will allow us to make this return journey FOC?

Many thanks

Yes - Only on regional trains (not the ICE trains)

FWIW

Here's someone's ticket from an ebay ad

The bit at the bottom is the "train ticket" part.

It says:

Kombiticket

Free travel to and from the stadium with

VRR public transport (2nd class)

in the VRR area

Here's a map of the VRR area

There's an explanation of what a kombiticket is here

Die KombiTickets berechtigen zur Fahrt mit allen Bussen, Straßenbahnen, Stadtbahnen, S-Bahnen, der Wuppertaler Schwebebahn sowie den zuschlagfreien Zügen der Eisenbahnverkehrsunternehmen für den jeweiligen Geltungsbereich.

So all buses, trams, S-bahns, and RE and RB trains

The ticket is valid for the whole day of the event up to the end of the "working day".

"bis zum Betriebsschluss"

Als Betriebsschluss gilt grundsätzlich 3 Uhr des Folgetages.

And apparently that means 3am.

Edited by davew

We are travelling from Cologne on Sunday. I take it we would be better getting our tickets on the day and only paying for the journey to and from the free travel 'border'?

Also if the free travel is only up until 1am, will it be valid if we get the 0050 train back bearing in mind it will be after 2am by the time we get into Cologne?

We are also doing this journey. The only thing worrying us is the return journey...will there be enough trains to take us all??

Also that return train at 00.51 is an ICE train so isn't covered by free travel!!

We are also doing this journey. The only thing worrying us is the return journey...will there be enough trains to take us all??

Also that return train at 00.51 is an ICE train so isn't covered by free travel!!

You need tu buy tickets for this train in advance. This is an ICE train, no free travel covered with this one back to CGN.

The last free travel train would be 23:53 an S-Bahn with changing once at Dusseldorf you would only be in CGN at 2.23am so two and a half hours yourney

How easy is the ground to get to from the Main train station? Just for coming back after the game could be cutting it abit

If you can shoe horn yerself on...................

"Signal Iduna Park can be easily reached by train from Dortmund’s main railway station in the centre. In just 5 minutes you will arrive at Dortmund Signal Iduna Park station, from where it is a short walk to the stadium. Trains typically run three to four times an hour.

Alternatively, you can take the U-Bahn from the centre and get off at station Westfalenhallen, from where it is a 5-minute walk to the stadium. Both line 45 and 46 serve the station.

On matchdays, there is a special service that will continue to station Stadion, which is even closer to the stadium.

The stadium is furthermore within walking distance of Theodor-Fliedner-Heim station, which is on U-Bahn line 42".

No way was I chancing missing the train journey back to Cologne after game. We have booked our tickets for the ICE train at 00.51, only £20 return each.

Same with me. Had booked the 23.37 train to Cologne without actually thinking about time to get from the stadium to the station, so booked on the 00.51 too as insurance.

Cheers. Was on some weird international site and wasn't understanding what was going on.

We're going to use the free travel from Cologne to Dortmund on the Sunday morning (just have to pay for the few stops to edge of free zone). But we have booked the 00.51 ICE train returning after the game just to make sure we get back. Its only £10 each for a single!!